Loyalists...why Bother?

42 replies to this topic

#1 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

Our loyalist unit is trying to determine if there is any reason to remain loyalist.

We are okay with not qualifying for extra rewards, but getting shut out of a game mode for a weekend or week was the last straw.

We had individuals bailing on the unit and then asking to get back in when the event is over and the unit is left paying the re-enlistment tax for rejoining the unit.

Many of our guys have been at maxed loyalty for years and have nothing to motivate them to fill the FP queue.

So the question is, why bother?

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Why bother indeed?

There is absolutely no reason anymore to be a loyalist in any other sense than as a mercenary unit running up an individual factions rewards tree and then jumping elsewhere to do the same when the mood strikes. That sort of loyalty makes sense in the mode as it currently exists, but the "true" sort of loyalist, the: "we will never leave no matter what" kind of players are just gimping themselves given that the mode is now configured to encourage folks to go where they want, when they want, without penalty.

#3 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

Why not just have people that leave pay for their own re-enlistment? It's not really much cbills, 1 invasion match really.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

because i dont feel like doing the grind to get to merc rank 10.

this kind of thing is why im reluctant to join a unit. especially when we had a 25% penalty on our lp/rp. cant have a unit kill my progress because they switched sides several times during my most recent kerbal binge. now i dont really see any point with most of the remaining units being either super elite or completely worthless.

i think we need to do something where when there is an event everyone's current contract/loyalty is suspended and you have to choose between the available sides of the event conflict. at the end of the event everyone returns to their original contract/loyalty and you continue where you left off before the event. id also like to see fp bribes rewards decoupled from your current faction, say a rare supply cache every 50k lp/rp and a random cockpit item relevant to your currently selected faction.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 August 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#5 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:27 PM

Drop loyalist for event.

Go Merc.

After event go back to loyalist.

Get event rewards all the time for Merc (added bonus). The only issue is 10 probation games which realistically does not take long on either side.

That is the only solution available right now, so it's a take or leave situation.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:19 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 August 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

Drop loyalist for event.

Go Merc.

After event go back to loyalist.

Get event rewards all the time for Merc (added bonus). The only issue is 10 probation games which realistically does not take long on either side.

That is the only solution available right now, so it's a take or leave situation.

that works great for pugs but it can be very disruptive to the few remaining units.

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:45 PM

Most sizeable units seem to be able to manage the process fairly easily.

4-5 guys have permission to change contracts, they change as needed. Only the big units with one person who has some kinda trust/control issue, seem not to be able to move around freely/as needed if the chieftain is MIA for a week.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 28 August 2018 - 09:45 PM.

#8 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:57 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 August 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

Most sizeable units seem to be able to manage the process fairly easily.

4-5 guys have permission to change contracts, they change as needed. Only the big units with one person who has some kinda trust/control issue, seem not to be able to move around freely/as needed if the chieftain is MIA for a week.

The problem is penalties for loyalists when lleave and rejoin

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:07 PM

What penalty?

You only have a 10 game probation to go through as I pointed out.

The Loyalty Point loss was removed some months ago.

#10 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:00 AM

The entire game needs to simply drop "any associations" and revert to all mercenaries. There really aren't enough players for anything else and if, those of us whom on;y play good events reject th event because of the "political requirements", everyone loses because there are hundreds of us not playing......

Right now, PGI needs everyone because soon, there will be no one left to play anything.

#11 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for the input Ash.

Sounds like you have the process down.

Maybe we should join all the organized remaining units together to help with clean transitions for events...

I am sure that is what PGI wants us to do, right?

Units working together to stomp solo queue pugs, that's what mercs do right?

#12 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:57 AM

If you (unit) go merc, then back to Clan you left, there should be no 10 game requirement after rejoining.

#13 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

if you only want matches where the faction does not play a role you can abolish them ... who chooses to whom to own a match on any map that has no relation to the Innersphere Map because only one random Map ... that does not interest boundaries or which unimportant and in the game irrelevant planet now which faction belongs

the acrtionsystem is a relict from days as FW thinking as real Strategical warfare and not a 30 minutes random Match with Dropdeck...

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 29 August 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#14 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 August 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

that works great for pugs but it can be very disruptive to the few remaining units.

10 probation matches aren't a big deal.
It can get annyoing, yes, but that's already about it.

Depending on your time commitment you can do all 10 matches in one day, at max in two days when you decide to just drop in regular CW.

You could also do the matches in Scouting mode where you should be able achieve them in a shorter period.

Some of my units mates prefer scouting, but I mostly go for regular CW to accomplish the 10 probeys...

#15 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

Loyalists are not welcome in CW.

#16 Jugger Grimrod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 263 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAddicks, Fed Suns

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

View PostNightbird, on 28 August 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

Why not just have people that leave pay for their own re-enlistment? It's not really much cbills, 1 invasion match really.

Larger Units are getting squeezed. Invites are costing us 6M Cbills per Pilot... 1 Invasion match? Hardly.

#17 DRlFTER

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:26 PM

The current direction of faction based events, while very cool, has been causing tremendous frustration for the guys in ARC7, a loyalist CGB unit. We group up twice a week for faction drops, and ad hoc drop faction many other days during the week. It is getting difficult to ask guys to keep their heads up and not complain when we get shut out of our game mode for about a month so far, between all the events.

I am not one for complaining myself, it is not something that is useful or admirable. If you look at my post history, you will probably find none. I do think it is good that they are putting lots of thought and effort in to faction rewards, and adding more lore, which was a major request. The goal of my post is simply to say that for some of us it is just locking us out.

I understand Ash's line of reasoning that we should all just jump ship and not be loyalists. I know our unit leader would NEVER do so, as he is staunchly anti merc. In real life he puts a high value on loyalty, and it translates into his view of mercenaries. Other people in this thread seem to be in a similar bind, even if their own reasons to be loyalists differ then ours.

A Ghost Bear event won't really solve the problem, if the intention is to continually rotate events through various factions. Getting to play for 1 week doesn't really help a unit that is trying to get guys to show up on the regular twice a week. We risk losing people to other opportunities for their free time.

It would be good to know if this is the new status quo, or not. If it is, then we will have to stop being loyalists, or quit be dedicated faction players as a unit. It is not sustainable. If this is just the continuation of a one off series of events that is looking to touch all the various factions, then it would be good to know that we just need to weather the storm until it ends and things go back to the old status quo.

Again, I applaud PGIs initiative to make the game more interesting, rewarding and immersive. We loyalists just need to understand the plan here so we can adjust accordingly. Do we need to jump ship to play the game as a unit going forward to avoid getting locked out, or do we just tough it out for a little bit longer?

Edited by DRlFTER, 29 August 2018 - 08:29 PM.

#18 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

View PostRemover of Obstacles, on 28 August 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Our loyalist unit is trying to determine if there is any reason to remain loyalist. We are okay with not qualifying for extra rewards, but getting shut out of a game mode for a weekend or week was the last straw. We had individuals bailing on the unit and then asking to get back in when the event is over and the unit is left paying the re-enlistment tax for rejoining the unit.

Why on earth would you let them get away with not paying that fee themselves? But even still, what else do you have to spend the unit coffers on? I mean yeah, thy said two years ago they were going to let you spend the cbills on other things, but since they got rid of sectors to add when you were defending a planet, there's really nothing left to spend on.

Many of our guys have been at maxed loyalty for years and have nothing to motivate them to fill the FP queue.

Nothing to motivate them except, you know, actually enjoying playing. I know, that's a completely insane concept.

#19 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostSneaky Ohgoorchik, on 28 August 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

The problem is penalties for loyalists when lleave and rejoin

They removed those penalties more than a year ago. The ONLY penalty left is the 10 probation matches, in which you do not earn loyalty points or bonus faction cbills. Which is a little annoying, but hardly earth shattering.

#20 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

View PostJugger Grimrod, on 29 August 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Larger Units are getting squeezed. Invites are costing us 6M Cbills per Pilot... 1 Invasion match? Hardly.

Fair enough, but still something the people that leave should cover to get reinvited.

That been said, maybe FP phase 4 will take care of this once and for all.

Edited by Nightbird, 29 August 2018 - 10:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users