Laser Systens As Dps

4 replies to this topic

#1 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

is it possible to do lasers as a DPS system?

Like making them not have a cooldown or duration and have them just work like RAC or Tag(w/ damage)?

Since the idea of chain fire lasers and reducing laser alpha are out there.
Why not make them a DPS system?

#2 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:54 AM

I'm not sure we want to make the baseline lasers a facetime weapon. The IS ones in particular do what they do well, (I.E. add supplementary damage to other systems, and become a reasonable primary weapon when boated,) yet still don't become the face-meltimg weapons people complain about. Clan standard and heavy ones may need a bit of balance, but on their face, they too do a good job of their job, and really don't need to be changed in their role.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing pulse lasers go down that road. It fits the lore, (Lots of small bursts to melt armor faster) it fits a unique niche, and helps differentiate them from the standard lasers. (The pulse and standard lasers overalap WAY too much right now in my opinion) I wouldn't mind seeing something like a medium pulse laser with a 2.25 damage alpha, 0.25s burn, 1 second cycle time, and low enough heat that you could boat 6 or 8 of them for 10 seconds or so. (I think the math on that is like 1.3 or 1.4 heat) It would boat out to 14-18 DPS, be able to hold for 10 seconds give or take before overheat.
In theory, this would make it similar in dps to the 3xRAC2 build, but lighter, and no spin up. The disadvantages would be shorter ranged, and incapable of pushing extra weapons on top of it, because they generate a good deal of heat. Nice for a medium mech looking to push a DPS flanker, but without the tonnage needed for a RAC build.

In all honesty though, this is probably a different conversation than the one facing the PTS right now, and would be better left for another day.

Edited by Daurock, 29 August 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#3 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:25 AM

I would like to see pulse lasers getting more into the high rate of fire direction.

I had posted my suggestion a few times in the past regarding using a baseline of mediums like this:

Aiming for a 1.0 DPS (incl. duration) per ton of the std medium laser would make the starting point
suggested values:
ML = 5dmg, 3.33heat, 3.8s cd, 1.2s duration = 1.0 dps and 1.5dph and 1.0dps/ton
ERML = 5dmg, 4.5heat, 4s cd, 1.4s duration = 0.9259 dps and 1.11dph and 0.9259dps/ton
CERML = 6dmg, 5.0heat, 4.6s cd, 1.6s duration = 0.9677dps and 1.20
dph and 0.9677dps/ton
CHML = 10dmg, 8.0heat, 6.0s cd, 1.8s duration = 1.28 dps and 1.25dph and 1.28dps/ton
MPL = 2.8dmg, 1.6heat, 1.0s cd, 0.6s duration = 1.75 dps and 1.75dph and 0.875dps/ton
CMPL = 3.0dmg, 1.7heat, 1.1s cd, 0.7s duration = 1.67 dps and 1.76dph and 0.833dps/ton

#4 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:26 AM

They should introduce the Binary Laser with this idea in mind. Its basically two LLs hooked together. Just have it alternate fire from each laser emitter thereby creating a continuous large laser burn. It would be woefully impractical due to heat and the face time would get most people killed. But at least we'd have the option for people crazy enough.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:20 AM

Id like to see Pulse Lasers changed to have an energy bank that charges up. And they should rapidly fire pulses that drain the energy bank. The energy bank would refill slower than the max rate of fire of the pulse laser so they couldnt fire indefinitely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users