14 replies to this topic

#1 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:55 AM

Back when the Vulcan was announced I was on the fence about buying it and ended up getting the standard pack on the last day of the early adopters rewards. Since I've gotten it and played the mech I've been pleasantly surprised to the point that I upgraded my standard pack to a collector pack to get the VL-2T(S).

The Vulcan seems to be more than the sum of its parts, as the loadouts seem unremarkable but it's been performing well for me. Here are a few build suggestions for those who bought this gangly and awkward mech, or for future c-bill purchasers.

Most of my builds will revolve around the VL-2T, but most of the builds can be tweaked to run on the VL-5S and VL-6M with a little alteration. My first build was one that worked very well for a completely unskilled mech: VL-2T (AC10, 2xML). This is a very simple build that has enough speed to reposition properly, is cool enough and has enough ammo to just keep hammering the AC10 every chance you get, and has the jump jets to get around the map nicely.

Below are other builds that have served me well once some skill points were put into either maneuvering/speed tweak, cooling, or firepower (like LBX or ammo nodes):

VL-2T (LB10X, 3xML) (also a decent starter build, though better with LBX nodes )
VL-2T (SNPPC, 2xML, 3xMG) (put the SNPPC below the ML for the high mount)
VL-2T (AC20, 2ML) (it's light on ammo if magazine nodes not taken)
VL-2T (HPPC, 2xSL, 3xMG) (HPPC main damage, everything else for those underrunning the HPPC)
VL-2T (3xMPL, 3xMG) (it's a little slow for a light hunter without the speed tweak nodes)

VL-5T (5xERML) (can also use MLs and/or a 315XL plus more heatsinks)
VT-5M (LPL, 3ML) (can also use ERMLs instead of MLs)
VT-5M (2xLPL) (uses the LPL cooldown quirk)

Others feel free to post your builds, especially for the reinforcements and the Bloodlust hero.

#2 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

Ouch, you went there.....

#3 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

BLOODLUST - Current build, started with 4xSRM4 + 3xMGs, but it occured to me that I prefer less facetime and more burst. The mech is great, but it is not an Assassin durability-wise.

VL-2T - 1xLPL+2xMPL+3xLMG, current build, I like it the most. Also tried 2xLPLs, LB10+2xERML,AC/10+2xERML, HPPC+3xHMG+2xSL. Double largepulse and linked mixpulse+mg build did the best. AC builds require too much exposure to deal damage.

VL-5T - pretty straightforward 5xMPL build. A bit on a hotter side, it eats smaller mechs alive and poptart-irritates big ones.

VT-5M - 4xMPL+2xLMG.

Not super creative, I honestly tried different stuff, but this mech gravitates heavily towards mobile skirmishing gameplay with poptart elements.

As LL/ERLL/ERML platform it is inferior to ECM mechs. Autocannons' weight is a big issue, you can't really boat those and 10's require a lot of facetime to be effective. So, pulses, MGs for most, SRMs for hero.

At first I thought the mech needs durability buffs. After playing it a bit more I see that it doesn't really. It is a very good mech with top notch agility and it performs pretty well.

Edited by tutzdes, 30 August 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#4 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:04 PM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 30 August 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Ouch, you went there.....

Yes I made a Star Trek joke, but it's actually quite appropriate for me as well.

For the most part I die a lot in MWO. I have a positive W/L record, but I die about 75% of the time. It's really just part of my play style in that I try to use up my mech as much as possible in the fight and I enjoy brawling. With the Vulcan I've already survived matches with under 30% on my mech left, I've only died on about 55% of my matches, and have averaged about 325 damage per match. Any time I can get a medium mech up above a 300 damage average it's doing well for me, especially a 40 tonner that can't equip the weaponry of a heavier medium.

View Posttutzdes, on 30 August 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

At first I thought the mech needs durability buffs. After playing it a bit more I see that it doesn't really. It is a very good mech with top notch agility and it performs pretty well.

Yes, I find it's freakishly agile to the point that I've gone to locking the arms from the outset to keep all my weapons on the same targeting point and only unlock when I need the arms (like on a UAV). I have no problem targeting mechs quickly with the torso weapons and I think the only time I died early in a match was when I turned a corner and took dual Heavy Gauss rounds in the CT from a Fafnir. It didn't kill me, but in opened me up and I died to a CT hit a little later.

#5 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:37 AM

I liked the joke and I have found them hard to kill.

I'm one of the remaining 37 Clan Wolf loyalists so I'm waiting for the Incubus for be available for C-Bills.

#6 Psykmoe

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:10 AM

I really enjoy my Vulcans.
I run my 2T(S) from the collectors upgrade with UAC10 and 2 er mediums. Tossed regular AC10 and 3 lasers on the regular 2T and it's alright, too. 15% ballistic cooldown quirk.

5T I run either with 5 er mediums or 5 mpl depending on my mood.

5M I roll 4mpl and 2 HMGs, works well, want to experiment with a build incorporating at least 1 LPL though, since the LPL cooldown quirk makes it sync up well with MPLs.

But my favorite thing about Vulcans are the agility stats. In terms of acceleration and turning it beats out the majority of 30 and 35 ton light mechs, let alone mechs its own weight.

It's just a great joy to control for that reason.

Sure, the Assassin 21 or 23 SRM-bombs better than the Bloodlust and is tougher because of durability quirks and hitbox magic, and Wolfhounds make for tougher medium laser/mpl boats due to armor quirks, but damnit, the Vulcan is smooth, and its gangly frame doesn't seem to be an easy target, especially since those big shoulders are arm hitboxes I think.

Absolutely do not regret having preordered these.

Edited by Psykmoe, 07 September 2018 - 01:11 AM.

#7 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:21 AM

View PostPsykmoe, on 07 September 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

But my favorite thing about Vulcans are the agility stats. In terms of acceleration and turning it beats out the majority of 30 and 35 ton light mechs, let alone mechs its own weight.

It's just a great joy to control for that reason.

Sure, the Assassin 21 or 23 SRM-bombs better than the Bloodlust and is tougher because of durability quirks and hitbox magic, and Wolfhounds make for tougher medium laser/mpl boats due to armor quirks, but damnit, the Vulcan is smooth, and its gangly frame doesn't seem to be an easy target, especially since those big shoulders are arm hitboxes I think.

Absolutely do not regret having preordered these.

Same thoughts here. It is probably the best of the recent releases as it is a very good mech with distinct traits, which performs rather well in its niche. This all the while not contributing to the power creep. Great job, PGI.

Pre-ordering those was totally worth it. Actually, I'm pretty close to regretting not pre-ordering collectors edition and reinforcement pack. Looking at the hardpoints I thought that 2T would be worst variant anyway, but it performs almost on par with the best variants.

Vulcans are amazing, I really enjoy piloting them.

#8 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:55 PM

Just came back after a month or so, seen some Incubus, well they are going fast and are kinda small but didn't seen a Vulcan, i wanna see a Vulcan !

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:09 AM

View Posttutzdes, on 07 September 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Same thoughts here. It is probably the best of the recent releases as it is a very good mech with distinct traits, which performs rather well in its niche. This all the while not contributing to the power creep. Great job, PGI.

Pre-ordering those was totally worth it. Actually, I'm pretty close to regretting not pre-ordering collectors edition and reinforcement pack. Looking at the hardpoints I thought that 2T would be worst variant anyway, but it performs almost on par with the best variants.

Vulcans are amazing, I really enjoy piloting them.

Pre-ordering the Reinforcements- or Collectors package wouldn't have gotten you any more than you already got. Therefore you can just upgrade anytime without repercussions.

#10 Psykmoe

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:30 AM

I'm still enjoying my Vulcans.

I loaded up my Bloodlust with streaks since my Assassin does regular SRMs better. Fun to bring out sometimes, not amazing.

I've enjoyed the 2T with UAC10/2 er mediums so much I'm tempted to get the reinforcement back because one of the extra variants has a similar hardpoint loadout to the 2T but comes with jam chance quirks (both UAC5, and importantly, generic) and can mount MASC as well, which might be fun.

Buffing the Vulcan's already amazing acceleration and turning with MASC may be silly, tho, and the other reinforcement variant doesn't exactly thrill me.

#11 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

Still never seen a Vulcan...

#12 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:51 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 12 October 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

Still never seen a Vulcan...

These are rare, I see Vulcans time to time. I believe there will be more after the C-Bill release. I don't expect an Assassin-level popularity, but Cicada-level - sure, why not?

The main reason for that is that nobody neither wanted those just for lore reasons (unlike a lot of other mechs) nor expected them to perform well. Vulcans are better than people expected, but not OP-enough to buy if you haven't pre-ordered those already. I played these after the release a lot, figured out the best working builds and mastered the playstyle, so now I switched to recently buffed Vipers and some light mechs to keep the things fresh. I will definitely play Vulcans again more when IS 40t mood will strike me again.

#13 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:50 AM

I pushed for the Vulcan's inclusion years ago due to the stick figure properties, and now I'm on the fence about buying a pack after thinking through the weight + ballistics primary.

How well does it the weight... why am I not just playing in smurfy? sorry.

#14 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:34 AM

Well, I picked up 3 of them for Cbills, and I'm starting to get the hang of them. I do like them, but they need skills lol. Did a lot of build experimentation last night though.

VL-2T: Surprisingly my favourite so far. XL255, 3LPPCs, 3LMGs, and 4JJs.

VL-5T: XL255, 5ML, 1AC2, 3JJs.

VL-6M: XL255, 2LL, 4LMGs, 3JJs.

#15 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:08 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 06 February 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

I do like them, but they need skills lol.

You aint whistlin dixie, the difference between my fully skilled-up vulcan and the ones im working on now is night and day.

Also cause its hilarious VT-5S (hoping once its fully skilled up I can reduce the ammo in favor of returning the MASC to it, but 3 tons is simply not enough and iv drained the 5 tons often enough.)

EDIT: Temporary alternative slightly less armor and ammo for a larger engine. VT-5S

Edited by Xeno Phalcon, 08 February 2019 - 07:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users