Kodiak 3 Still Viable?

59 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:48 PM

I am currently looking at a number of Mechs I might want to buy next and I have taken a closer look at the Kodiak 3. It seems to lend itself to a few nice builds using LBX and/or UACs...

But for some reason, when I see a Kodiak 3 on the battlefield, it either does a huge amount of damage (rarely), or really, really little (most of the time). So it seems kinda hit and miss. So I wanted to hear what people here think. Is the Mech still viable? Or is my experience with encountering them just really warped?

#2 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:38 PM

The Mad Cat MKII B has overshadowed the Kodiak 3 thanks to better hit boxes and mobility. The Kodiak 3 can still carry allot of fire power and rack up kills but you need to be in the right spot as it draws fire like crazy and feels squishy compared to other assaults like Marauder IIC and Mad Cat MKII.

The Kodiak needs some buffs, it's been some time since anyone complained about the mech being OP and it would be nice to have a mech other than the Annihilator to compete in Div 1 of Solaris (stupid AC 2 boats)

#3 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:56 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 01 September 2018 - 11:38 PM, said:

The Mad Cat MKII B has overshadowed the Kodiak 3 thanks to better hit boxes and mobility. The Kodiak 3 can still carry allot of fire power and rack up kills but you need to be in the right spot as it draws fire like crazy and feels squishy compared to other assaults like Marauder IIC and Mad Cat MKII.

The Kodiak needs some buffs, it's been some time since anyone complained about the mech being OP and it would be nice to have a mech other than the Annihilator to compete in Div 1 of Solaris (stupid AC 2 boats)

I am also looking forward to picking up a Kodiak 3, so thank you for the info.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I tried out the MadCat with double UAC10 and double UAC5 build and it feels a good deal more agile than the Kodiak. Can't do a quad LBX10 with it and will have lower ammo, but speed is better and the range of motion for the guns is much better, since they are arm mounted.

Armour seems comparable.

So, sold. Posted Image Going for the MC over the Kodiak.

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 02 September 2018 - 01:21 AM.

#5 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:28 AM

It depends on the build. I run my KDK-3 with 2xUAC-10 and 2xLB10X, still works out fine (no ghost heat - so you fire a salvo of 40 damage, and then double tap the UACs for a second salvo of 20). The MCII-B can mount the same load in the arms, but the hardpoints are lower compared to KDK's and IIRC you won't manage quite the same ammo supply

Edited by Horseman, 02 September 2018 - 01:34 AM.

#6 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:22 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Recent game, still viable.
MCII-B might has an edge over the KDK-3 but that does not mean anyone should take a KDK-3 lightly.

XL400 Endo Ferro 16DHS TC1 2 Gauss 4 MPL
XL400 Endo Ferro 10DHS 2 LB10X 2 UAC10

Can also do quad LB10X or even quad gauss
Generally, the KDK-3 has a lot of hard hitting viable builds especially with higher and highest rated engines (dual 20s with XL400 yeah!).

If you want the most optimal 'mech, go for a MCII-B. If you can do without "meta'ing" it out, the KDK-3 offers a lot of build variety IF you are willing to reskill and put up with different engines.

If you got for a Mad Cat II, the MCII-1 offers a bit more build variety over the MCII-B (either 2UAC5 2UAC10 or go home)

It can do mixed builds well such as:
2 Gauss 2 ER Large 2 ER Medium
2 UAC10 4 MPL
2 LB20X 4 MPL
Heavy lasers etc etc

The MCII-1 is considered a poor man's Death Strike but if it wouldn't be overshadowed by it's Hero'mech companion it certainly would be considered and credited as the top tier 'mech it is.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 02 September 2018 - 03:35 AM.

#7 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:19 AM

It’s still a nasty beast. I saw a guy with four gauss rifles on his and he was just eating everything on the field, it was off the chain til he ran out of ammo. I see a lot of big bears running the old uAC10/uAC5 combo, or gauss/uAC10 also. But the other posters are right thst the MCII has bypassed it in power creep. The old MAD-II Scorch is still a nasty mech as well.

#8 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:41 AM

I am not looking so much for meta Mechs and more for viability in a number of scenarios. I tend to buy Mechs for a singular build and not switch stuff back and forth too much, unless the build in question isn't working for me.

The one thing that made me wonder about the Kodiak is that all the weapons are torso mounted, meaning range of motion isn't all that great. I have a Night Gyr with 2 UAC10 and 4MPLs that I really enjoy playing, but the stiff motion causes me some problems. It seems fairly pigeonholed, it either performs great, or meh.

Weapons in the arms means a better fighting range (up down, as well as twisting) for me, which is why I am currently looking at that. I know that means I have less ammo as well as a better chance to lose the weapons, seeing as arms have less HP than side torso's. So I hope the better motion will offset that.

I still need about 5 million cbills before I get buy either and another 5-10 before I can kit them out.

#9 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:11 AM

You're right about the range of motion, but the torso hardpoints are at cockpit level - you can ridge peek and fight at mid-range without exposing yourself too much.

Edited by Horseman, 02 September 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#10 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:15 AM

I still have allot of fun with my Kodiak, just more rare for me to score 1000 or more damage from the old 4X UAC 10 days.

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 02 September 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

Weapons in the arms means a better fighting range (up down, as well as twisting) for me, which is why I am currently looking at that. I know that means I have less ammo as well as a better chance to lose the weapons, seeing as arms have less HP than side torso's. So I hope the better motion will offset that.

With a Mad Cat II you can shoot down uavs in your area, something a KDK-3 ballistics boat can't do.
The KDK-3 has a better grouping because the ballistics are packed tighter together. With a MCII-B you need a bit of wider field otherwise you will shoot into builds (and friendlies) left and right.
Also, your "standard" AC build on a MCII-2 runs a lower engine then your "standard" KDK-3 AC build.
KDK-3, even at 100 ton, can effectively run an XL400. My own MCII-3 build features an XL340 (i wanted more Heatsinks on mine).

So the torso speed and "nimbleness" is actually fairly similar on an XL350ish MCII-B as it is on an XL400 KDK and the KDK is almost 10KM/H faster to boot once you get the acceleration going (which is a bit on the slow side considering it's a 100 ton assault).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honestly, i can recommend you either 'mech. they are all good.
KDK-3
MCII-B
MCII-1

Considering all the factors, loadout, effectivenes, hardpoints, tankyness, hitboxes. The MCII-B just simply wins. But they are all closely together. It's not like you have an oddball like the direwolf which you can't even effectively bring through the solo que thanks to it's super slow speed or gargoyle or anything which plays rather unique like a paper dragon.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 02 September 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#12 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

KDK-3 died when the MCII-B was released. The MCII-B has vastly superior hitboxes, is more agile, and has arm weapons which allow it to target quicker and shift its fire around as needed. Its also faster which lets it move around the battlefield easier, has optional JJs (albeit id never bring one as u either sacrifice critical cooling or top speed), and is just all around superior to the KDK chassis.

Sure having 100t gives it slightly better cooling/ammo/payload, but its a miniscule difference which wont in any realistic game counteract the KDK's crippling weaknesses.

Just get a MC-II, or if you dont like the chassis, the MAD-2C is close behind with its triple ballistic option (moves fastest of the 3, but has 1 UAC10 replaced by a few ERMLs).

#13 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:14 AM

If you are just talking dakka, the Kodiak is the better mech. You can 2x Gauss + 2x UAC10, 2x UAC10 + UAC20, 2x UAC5 + 2x UAC 10, 4x Gauss, 4x LBX 10, etc all with minimal peak and minimal spread. People like to talk up the "better hitboxes" but what this means is the MCmkII can twist faster and spread what would have been torso damage on to the arms... which are big, easy to hit, and are where all of your firepower is. This is not to say that generally speaking the MCmkII is not a tankier mech, it 100% is if you are not relying on the arms. In just about every other type of build the MCmkII is a better mech, if for no other reason than its mobility is not the actual worst in the game.

Edited by Cato Zilks, 03 September 2018 - 12:15 AM.

#14 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:34 AM

What hurts the Kodiaks was when PGI took away their structure etc quirks.

You can not just stand and fire anymore and it is slower.

#15 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

Believe the loss of mobility hurt the Kodiak the most with light MG boats super popular this year.

I know they took away the Spirit Bears mobility because a vocal few complained about the hero being pay-to-win (not true, good number of IS brawlers could take it on) The popularity of the SB took a nose dive after that.

#16 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 03 September 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

What hurts the Kodiaks was when PGI took away their structure etc quirks.

You can not just stand and fire anymore and it is slower.

View PostSteel Raven, on 03 September 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Believe the loss of mobility hurt the Kodiak the most with light MG boats super popular this year.

I know they took away the Spirit Bears mobility because a vocal few complained about the hero being pay-to-win (not true, good number of IS brawlers could take it on) The popularity of the SB took a nose dive after that.

These are both very true, yet the question was about the KDK-3 witch is hurt the least by the mega-mobility-nerf that all KDKs got. Spirit Bear or KDK-1 used to be able to challenge the Atlas in a brawl. Now, those Kodiaks make Atlai look like nimble ballerinas.

But, the KDK-3 still spits out ungodly damage at whatever happens to be in front of it.

#17 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:07 AM

View PostCato Zilks, on 03 September 2018 - 09:20 PM, said:

These are both very true, yet the question was about the KDK-3 witch is hurt the least by the mega-mobility-nerf that all KDKs got. Spirit Bear or KDK-1 used to be able to challenge the Atlas in a brawl. Now, those Kodiaks make Atlai look like nimble ballerinas.

But, the KDK-3 still spits out ungodly damage at whatever happens to be in front of it.

Yea, it can still give it, but it can't take it and can't dodge it. I still play my SB but the KDK-3, not so much and I have TWO of them

#18 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:26 AM

Since the MCII-B is on sale now, I just bought it, kitted it out and started the dakka. A bit hit and miss so far... ;-) 3 matches done, on HPG Manifold and twice on Caustic Valley. I am 2 and 1 with the Mech, ending the games with 750ish, 110 and 650ish damage. Agility is good, firepower is very impressive. But I do need some room to maneuver. In one match I could not get into position because I was blocked by some invisible terrain, so had to walk around it.

Takes some time to find out what it can and cannot take. Spent 10K GXP to get some skills, but still need a lot more, especially armour and structure. ;-)

Working fine for me so far. :) Thanks for the advice. :)

#19 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:31 AM

I've been eyeing the MCII-B for a while too, used same weapons load as on my KDK-3. XL325, 2xUAC10+2xLB10X = 40 point alpha, half armor piercing half critseeking and a 20-point followup. You only incur ghost heat if you double tap the UAC10s too fast, they don't ghost with LB10Xs.

#20 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:05 AM

For anyone inexperienced or doesn't feel confident - The KDK3 is dead.

Simple as that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users