The Turtlebay Event Produces Some Of The Worst Games I Have Seen

41 replies to this topic

#21 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 05 September 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

Love to see one, they are so rare these days.

It's the ultimate anti bushie scouting machine. Though you have to be a bit of an $€#£'& to do it, cause all you're doing really is just wasting everyones time. Same deal with the ranged kiting cicadas

#22 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

Counterpoint: The Turtle Bay Event has produced some of the best games I have seen. Proper slugfests that last the distance with final scores being like 48-46 or 45-44. It's been much better than the usual FP .

#23 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

I have sure seen some bad match ups, but I have to disagree with the OP's blanket statement of the worst matches.

Out of the 50 odd invasion matches I played I had 5 ties, probably another 10-15 where the score difference was less than 5 mechs either way and a bunch more decided in the last few seconds after 5-10 mechs had gone down in the last minute.

I must say though that most of those above close matches were during OC prime time. When I played on the weekend during NA prime the games were notably worse. Seemed like organised clan teams all the time against random pug groups. So maybe when you play carries a lot of mileage.

#24 Fearlanghen McHaggis

• Pip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:28 AM

In fact the event did give credit for discos. My router rebooted and I came back to finish getting my other 3 mechs curb stomped. At match end I got the no rewards message for my 5 minute timeout but also got the kill/kmdd credit for the kurit pattern anyway.

#25 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:40 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 05 September 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

It's the ultimate anti bushie scouting machine. Though you have to be a bit of an $€#£'& to do it, cause all you're doing really is just wasting everyones time. Same deal with the ranged kiting cicadas

My fave is the LRM/ATM Shadowcat. Poor Bushies.

#26 Teonas

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 26 posts
  • LocationHesse

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:59 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 05 September 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

Counterpoint: The Turtle Bay Event has produced some of the best games I have seen. Proper slugfests that last the distance with final scores being like 48-46 or 45-44. It's been much better than the usual FP .

View Postslide, on 05 September 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

I have sure seen some bad match ups, but I have to disagree with the OP's blanket statement of the worst matches.
I have also had very good, very close matches (it has not been a blanket statement), but the amount of dcs (never had 3 in a match before and now two times, after initial deaths in matches) and very early deaths has made me scratch my head. This has not been the first FP event I took part and it had not gotten to that level.

#27 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:39 AM

*scouting

QP part is worse, people diving for 100 match score quick, really need to make it so if you get a 200 match score you get another of the 50 match score loot bags completed from that 1 game, and the same for 300, 400 and 500 to encourage people to play their best every game, but of course, they want to make sure we play 50 games, quantity over quality, wait, PGI are commies ?! Conspiracy theory confirmed !

Edited by Cadoazreal, 07 September 2018 - 03:39 AM.

#28 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:44 PM

event was typical lootbag event. they are supposed to be a long drawn out affair with a good payout. and you dont have to play for the grand prize, you will win enough mc and cbills to buy any mech that you want. i bought a deathstrike (i was sitting on mc for a couple months). that said it doesnt take more than scouting for a day and a day and a half of qp to get your loot. im done already, got the dragon 5n, had enough extra loot to buy a sunspider and im not even sure im going to play today. though i might play with my new mechs today.

also players need to realize that you dont have to play like a complete moron to get a lousy 100 points. get into the fight, shoot things, die and repeat. if you get into the fight and hide in the back for 10 minutes you are getting less lootbags per hour than you would be if you just committed to battle and take your losses. i leeroyed in squirrels and got my points in the last dozen or so games.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 September 2018 - 08:18 PM.

#29 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:59 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 07 September 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

also players need to realize that you dont have to play like a complete moron to get a lousy 100 points. get into the fight, shoot things, die and repeat. if you get into the fight and hide in the back for 10 minutes you are getting less lootbags per hour than you would be if you just committed to battle and take your losses. i leeroyed in squirrels and got my points in the last dozen or so games.

Players like you are the reason PGI should bump it to 200 match score minimum for loot bags. Players suiciding in to get their loot bags fast and then get out and into another game to get another loot bag really drive the quality of the games down. It's frustrating for those of us who actually want to play the game when half your team is interested in nothing but doing 100 damage then dying as fast as possible.

#30 Teonas

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 26 posts
  • LocationHesse

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:37 PM

I actually like the million they offer in QP for one 500 pt game - offer the same for 300 in FP, that would do a lot.

#31 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:10 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 07 September 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

Players like you are the reason PGI should bump it to 200 match score minimum for loot bags. Players suiciding in to get their loot bags fast and then get out and into another game to get another loot bag really drive the quality of the games down. It's frustrating for those of us who actually want to play the game when half your team is interested in nothing but doing 100 damage then dying as fast as possible.

im not suiciding to get my loot bag, often im the only one with a respectable score at the end of the match. when i play i play to hurt the enemy as much as i can and to win the game. i cannot do this as effectively when the bulk of the team is sitting on their thumbs waiting for something to happen. im pretty much playing at my usual pace that you find in normal event free gameplay (aka games that are fun). the lethargy is abnormally high, its insane.

apparently getting into position in an acceptable period of time and fighting the enemy is too hard for the bulk of the population during events like this. the result is me getting fed up with the lethargy and getting through the last few matches as quickly as possible, so i can play something else that is actually fun until the event reaches its conclusion. but if players were just playing normally that would be a non issue. jacking up the qualifying score sure, i wouldnt even notice most of the time, but i think that would make the lethargy much much worse.

#32 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:13 PM

View PostTeonas, on 07 September 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

I actually like the million they offer in QP for one 500 pt game - offer the same for 300 in FP, that would do a lot.

i bagged mine on a loss with my utraviolet. i was actually getting rather frustrated, several games with 4 or 5 kills didnt make the cut, but taking out 3 with 2 kmdds and a solo kill and dropping 800 or so damage down range finally got it.

#33 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

OP, if by 'worst matches' you refer to FP, I have to say you are flat-out wrong.

The quick play matches are potentially far worse. The amount of cowardice I have seen today in quick play is mind boggling. 12 mechs in a team huddling together and freezing in place, refusing to move, resulting in a 2-12 stomp when trhe other team pushed. Did you really see so many 8-48 matches in FP?

FWIW, the majority of players in that particular 2-12 match where in Clan mechs.

#34 BumbaCLot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:03 AM

View PostCadoazreal, on 07 September 2018 - 03:39 AM, said:

*scouting

QP part is worse, people diving for 100 match score quick, really need to make it so if you get a 200 match score you get another of the 50 match score loot bags completed from that 1 game, and the same for 300, 400 and 500 to encourage people to play their best every game, but of course, they want to make sure we play 50 games, quantity over quality, wait, PGI are commies ?! Conspiracy theory confirmed !

Seriously? My first game yesterday you LITERALLY did this, announced it before the match and as soon as you died. And I killed your assassin. I believe it was your final bag needed.

View PostTeonas, on 07 September 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

Needs to be 1500 in FB, invasion only if that is the criteria. And that's for 250. 5 Million for a 500 match.

Edited by BumbaCLot, 08 September 2018 - 11:03 AM.

#35 BumbaCLot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

View PostRoland09, on 08 September 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

OP, if by 'worst matches' you refer to FP, I have to say you are flat-out wrong.

The quick play matches are potentially far worse. The amount of cowardice I have seen today in quick play is mind boggling. 12 mechs in a team huddling together and freezing in place, refusing to move, resulting in a 2-12 stomp when trhe other team pushed. Did you really see so many 8-48 matches in FP?

FWIW, the majority of players in that particular 2-12 match where in Clan mechs.

I don't know what tier you are in due to you not showing it, but that is very common in every match in T5-3 games. People just don't know where to go.
On Frozen City I have finally learned what are safe paths across the bowl, and will say on comms 'hey everyone, lets go D line' and they will.
All it takes is for more people to do this in pug games, and the average to above average player will see it enough and pay that forward. I still don't know enough of the strategies on every map, but I'm trying to learn. And when I can figure it out and call it out, I try to. People need to call more initial plans out on comms at all levels, if that is only for the first 2 minutes. Same with Mining Collective. Move TOWARDS your assaults so they aren't getting wrecked by a team that does push forward as a group and kill them 8-4 early on.

#36 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

I'm tier 1; I can assure you this kind of behaviour is not limited to tiers 3 through 5. Or the number of players on a Saturday afternoon would be so low they literally mix tier 1 with tier 5.

#37 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

View PostVonbach, on 03 September 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

Unless you have a full team of clanners that hides on top of the rock in forest colony and refuses to fight you.

Or Hilltop LERMers on Alpine that cry 'cheaters' when you farm them in Assassins.

#38 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

FP event was lots of fun, QP portion was torture, it's like most of your team is trying to lose every drop, almost everyone is hiding and running away from enemy. I guess at least this meant that because I was fighting a bunch of mechs pretty much solo a lot I was getting lots of damage and match score

#39 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:33 PM

"Worst games I have seen".

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

Quickplay is getting more worse by the minute. Everyone is yoloing to get into the next match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users