Reduce The Maximum Size Of Fp Groups

10 replies to this topic

#1 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

Reduce the maximum size of FP groups from 12 players to 8 or less, if only on the Test server, to check what kind of impact that has on the Faction Play Match Maker.

Because this would allow an updated Match Maker to do it's job, of mixing a handful of low SSR players into the strongest FP groups.

Which is something even the best possible Match Maker can't do if the maximum FP group limit is 12.

I'm not saying 8-player groups can't be abused, but I am saying they are less abusable then 12-player groups.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

Or just get rid of groups completely.

#3 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:58 AM

And what, pray, constitutes 'abuse' of 8-man / 12-man groups in your view?

I'm going out on a limb here: Coordination, teamwork, synchronized drop decks?

#4 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:50 AM

View PostRoland09, on 10 September 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

And what, pray, constitutes 'abuse' of 8-man / 12-man groups in your view?

An abuse of a 12-man group in any view, would be to fill up a group with 12 top players to prevent the match maker from balancing it by mixing in some low level players into it.

To which I added my above sentence : "I'm not saying 8-player groups can't be abused, but I am saying they are less abusable then 12-player groups."

#5 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 13 September 2018 - 12:50 AM, said:

An abuse of a 12-man group in any view, would be to fill up a group with 12 top players to prevent the match maker from balancing it by mixing in some low level players into it.

So, that basically equates to "too much skill = abuse". That should be the new Clan mantra.

#6 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:29 PM

The existence of (12-man) group mechanics means that FP teams can't be balanced by a Match Maker, in which case that Match Making is better off left completely random, then being updated to make sure it's the same bunch of trolled players that will land on the same maxed out group again and again.

#7 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:26 AM

- Currently, 'match-making' in FP works on a first come, first served basis. If you just got clobbered by an evil 12-man team who outplayed your team of 12, you could just wait for 5 - 10 minutes before queueing up again. The next team on your side will encounter the evil 12-man team, and your team of 12 players should get matched against another team of 12 players. Unless of course, you are the on only team in your bukkit or you are just plain out of luck. In which case you can either suck it up or mass-eject in protest to show your true Clan credentials.

- With a skill-based match maker in place, the evil 12-man team should get matched against another evil 12-man team on your side, so you would not encounter them anyway, no? Ah, I forgot, all the evil 12-man teams are on the IS side all the time, so they can clobber you. Well, then for you there is always mass-ejecting, I guess.

Before FP gets dumbed down to a level of average skill acceptable to you, why don't you go play QP? There is an event going on now, which is aptly named. Is it the LP rewards?

#8 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

View PostRoland09, on 15 September 2018 - 04:26 AM, said:

Before FP gets dumbed down to a level of average skill acceptable to you, why don't you go play QP?

I already go QP after landing on the same premade for the 5th time in a row (despite taking 5-10 minute breaks or even quitting the previous match early to avoid it), or after landing on various premades for the 9th time in a row (despite taking 1-2 hour breaks to avoid them)...

But there's simply no room for solo players when the queue is clogged by maxed out 12-man premades on one side of the queue, and no amount of Match Maker updating is going to fix that while the group limit in FP stays at 12...

While there's plenty of room to go play for those same maxed out 12-man premades with their matching mechs in the game mode that was specifically designed to provide them a matching high-end challenge with matching high-end rewards : Competitive Play !

When you're down to farming multiple AFK mechs because 3+ players were fed up wasting their time landing on your 12-man group again, you know there's something broken with MMO match making, and that it isn't the Match Maker.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 21 September 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#9 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:39 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 21 September 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

I already go QP after landing on the same premade for the 5th time in a row (despite taking 5-10 minute breaks or even quitting the previous match early to avoid it), or after landing on various premades for the 9th time in a row (despite taking 1-2 hour breaks to avoid them)...

But there's simply no room for solo players when the queue is clogged by maxed out 12-man premades on one side of the queue, and no amount of Match Maker updating is going to fix that while the group limit in FP stays at 12...

While there's plenty of room to go play for those same maxed out 12-man premades with their matching mechs in the game mode that was specifically designed to provide them a matching high-end challenge with matching high-end rewards : Competitive Play !

When you're down to farming multiple AFK mechs because 3+ players were fed up wasting their time landing on your 12-man group again, you know there's something broken with MMO match making, and that it isn't the Match Maker.

So, let me get this straight: You are one of the special SJW snowflake unicorns who 'quit games early' when they face an actual team on the opposing side, yes? Thereby royally screwing over the other 11 guys on their team because you are not having the kind of fun and games you feel entitled to? Seems I was right (again) with my general idea of your Clan credentials. You know, overcoming adversity, and stuff.

Well, glad you at least own up to that level of douchebagery. You got that going for you, I have to give it to you, although I suspect that is more an expression of your instinct that the world should revolve around you, not so much a matter of honesty.

And yet you have the cheek to accuse players who - gasp - group up and get on TS before hitting that launch button (which mostly is what being a 12-man team boils down to) of only wanting to seal club pugs.

If you had any decency, you would at least admit what you actually mean when you blather on about 'balance' and 'match-making': You want to make sure you only get matched against players who have even less of an idea about teamwork than you have, so you can have easy wins and LP rewards.

Well, too bad, Clanner.

If I ever should meet you in a match again, I'll be sure to call you out. Not to grief you, but rather from preventing you from comitting any more TOS violations, which suiciding and non-participation are. Also, I'll be removing a tumorous growth from the backs of the unfortunate players who have the misfortune to have you on their team.

#10 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

I'm pretty sure the hypothetical idea behind the matchmaker is to match strong groups vs strong groups and scrub groups vs scrub groups (if there are enough ppl in que to do this, lol), not fill strong less than 12 groups with carry weight

P.S. ffs stop with the whole "clan #@$@#$" "IS #@Q$@" bs, none of that **** matters anymore

#11 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 22 September 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

P.S. ffs stop with the whole "clan #@$@#$" "IS #@Q$@" bs, none of that **** matters anymore

I apologize; there was no call to lump anybody in with the OP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users