5 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

I know when it comes to thinking, some people don't think enough. "I would like a small soda." to which a drive thru cashier replied "Would you like a cup with that?"

Now I don't intend to bring politics into play to much here, but when Obama was in office several people were placed into positions of power. While the Dems are trying to prove a connection between russia and Trump I cannot help but ask, Obama named several individuals to office using the term "Czar". Is the word "Czar" not in of itself, a russian term?

Yeah I now, my watching people like Gallagher on HBO late at night got my mind going in odd directions. Still haven't ask if 7/11's are open 24 hours a day why are their locks on the doors?
?

#2 Gen0

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:26 AM

Honestly, I've spent far too long thinking about politics to be healthy, but let me chime in here because I see a red herring.

The word 'czar' is of Balkan origin, etymologically originating from the name "Caesar," as does the word 'tsar,' a title of sovereignty adopted by late Rurukid-dynasty (Ivan III and Ivan IV the Terrible in particular) rulers of Muscovy. Confusion emerged when a German traveler recorded that the ruler of Muscovy at the time was titled 'czar,' due to a linguistic mistake derived from the fact that the Polish, with which the German had greater familiarity, titled some leaders 'czars.'

I have polish family and can confirm that Tsar/Czar was in use in Europe before Russia for their nobles. The reason why I believe that it's coming back into use is simply that the US is moving further towards Rome as a model republic. Rome is famous throughout history because it was perhaps the largest and most illustrious *multicultural* empire and pretty much set a model for all other empires that today bear an eagle... including Britain, Poland, USA and Russia. Soft power, and the concept of proxy countries, trade wars, covert puppetmasters and sabotage were all very Roman ideas.

I think if rome isn't required reading in schools today it should be. The republic particularly.

Edited by Gen0, 25 September 2018 - 09:27 AM.

#3 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:40 AM

Interesting. Thank you for the historical reference.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:47 PM

View PostGen0, on 25 September 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

I think if rome isn't required reading in schools today it should be. The republic particularly.

#internalstrife #muricaisfinite

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:23 AM

both political parties are completely insane at this point.

#6 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:44 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 September 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

both political parties are completely insane at this point.

*pets you on the head* Shhhhhhh shhh shhhh down boy. They were having one of the rare few examples of CIVIL political discourse. Please just let us have it this one time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users