- - - - -

New Player Help, And Collection Of My Thoughts.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Mightyrant

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:38 AM

Greetings all!

I have been in a helpful mood lately. I am creating a topic here, because I do no know where else to make it. The idea I have, is I want to create a place where I can post up all of my thoughts, my ideas, and any helpful information I may think of. I will be adding comments, as well as editing my original post to create a good wealth of information. I want this to be useful for new players, or people looking into this game, as a way to get a grasp on a veteran players mindset about MWO. I will also post on here builds that I find to work, how to use them, and anything else I can think of that may come in handy.

I know that for many of us, sometimes this game can have some serious problems, and we all love to rant and rave. I also know that many people will not see eye to eye with me on many things they may read on here. That's fine, and I can live with it. I don't want this to be a salt thread however. I want to just collect a wealth of useful information. Please help me in that goal, by keeping comments focused around helping. Thanks Posted Image.

If this post looks unfinished, it is because it isn't done yet! this will take me some time to fully flesh out to my liking, so check back now and again!!!!!

So lets dive in. I will make a few headers in here to organize the information.

STATE OF THE GAME

To anyone just coming into the game, or anyone looking at the forums on here, there can be a dark cloud easily seen. There have been some hard times regarding balance, and other nonsense, and quite a few people take to here to vent. While the salt posts on here are plentiful, they are not the only thoughts people have on the game.

The game is still very much alive. This game is also very fun. I know full well that it is not in the best of shape, and things can definitely be done to improve it, I will not argue there. However, despite the small player base, games can still be had on the regular. sometimes there is a bit of a wait to queue into a game, and some of the game modes can have longer waits than others, but games are available. Balance is at an OKAY point right now. it definitely has a ways to go, but the problems right now can be overcome for an enjoyable experience still. It doesn't matter so much which Chassis of 'mech you hop in, there is usually a good build that can be run to make the most of what it has to offer, and be an enjoyable time.

People looking at this game for the first time should definitely give it a try. There are a bunch of streams and resources out there, on reddit, on here, and on twitch, that can help new players get some information. Please come and give this game a try! You will see many many posts about the game being dead, and sometimes see graphics of players where it shows a decrease in players. While yes, people have left the game, the numbers represented in some of these graphics is not quite right. Steam in not the only way to play this game, as there is also a stand alone client that many people use, and is not factored into the steam users data. Myself for example. I use the stand alone client and have never had any issues. There are still a great deal of players around.

The matchmaker can be a little wonky from time to time. sometimes matches go horribly awry for one team or the other. it happens, it can be lived with, and we can all move on from it. needs some work tho for best performance. never give up from getting 12-0 stomped, it happens to everyone.

Everyone plays this game for different reasons, and in different ways. While there are definitely some WRONG ways to play this game, there really is not one RIGHT way to do it. Find a good way that works for you and roll with it. This game is still alive and this is not the time to jump ship. New players and returning players alike can still find enjoyment alongside people who have been here from the beginning.

Is it really free to play? Yes it is. There isn't really a NEED to buy anything in this game. spending money on MWO is a personal choice. Lets break this down. Your hard earned cash money can be spent in several ways. MC or mech packs. Mech packs get you the newest releases of mechs a couple of months before they become free. The standard varients for each chassis do become free after a period of time, but you $20, you can get them 3 months earlier. you also get the mechbays that they come with, and a month of premium time. decent deal if that is your kind of thing. I know I buy them when there is a mech I want really bad, or i just want some new toys to play with, but nothing you get from them cannot be gotten later on anyway. Then there is the MC. This stuff can be useful, but you don't need it. It can be used to buy cosmetic upgrades to things, premium time, and some special mechs. The special mechs you can get are not pay-to-win either. A majority just have some different weapon slots, and a custom camo pattern that makes them look snazzy on the battlefield. The real benefit to these, and also the premium time, is the bonus. With the Hero Mechs and premium time, you get bonuses to you C-bill earnings, which is handy to have. So yes, free to play, spending money is just for quality of life improvements, as well as speeding things up. you only start the game with a few mech bays in your garage, and getting more costs money, but they can also be gotten elsewhere. Events and missions, free giveaways, supply chaches that you get lucky on, and as giveaways from twitch streamers if you have nothing better to do on your lunch break.

GAME MODES
There are 4 main Ways to play this game, and I will give my thoughts on each, as well as a summary. maybe in the Mech Builds section all break down some mechs best suited to each mode.

Quick Play/Group Queue
This is usually the main event. Where most players spend a majority of their time, and where the real grinding can be done. In solo queue, you are on your own. It can be really hard to rally a team in solo Queue around any single goal, but it isn't unheard of. Matches here go all kinds of crazy really fast. This mode is where most of the population is, and games come along the fastest. Also, this is the best place to farm experience. Group queue is where formed groups play so that you don't have a full 12 man team ROFLstomping a bunch of solos in a single game. People here are more willing to take commands and have the drop called. Also this is a decent place to try and find a unit to join up with. Playing in group queue with a friend can be fun as well. Generally group queue is a bit more challenging than solo, as the enemy team is working together in some way shape or form, and sometimes their decks are even set up for mechs to compliment each other. fun place to play, but can be harder.

Faction Play

FINDING A UNIT TO JOIN

'MECH BUILDING GUIDE

SKILL TREE INSIGHTS

HELPFUL RESOURCES

Edited by Mightyrant, 03 October 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:56 AM

Is it really free to play? Yes it is. There isn't really a NEED to buy anything in this game. spending money on MWO is a personal choice.
Yup. I started a F2P alt a bit over a month ago. Grinding the events and taking advantage of sales (started right when Mad Cat MK II was on sale), that account now has six owned mechs - MCII-B, HMN, LBK, HBR, DWF and ACH, although only the MCII and HMN have anything I'd consider "final" in terms of builds - with enough MC stockpiled to buy 7 or 8 mechbays the next time they go on sale.

#3 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 October 2018 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yup. I started a F2P alt a bit over a month ago. Grinding the events and taking advantage of sales (started right when Mad Cat MK II was on sale), that account now has six owned mechs - MCII-B, HMN, LBK, HBR, DWF and ACH, although only the MCII and HMN have anything I'd consider "final" in terms of builds - with enough MC stockpiled to buy 7 or 8 mechbays the next time they go on sale.

Hi Horseman,

Is this your main account or an alternate? Absolutely fine to do both but new players should keep in mind that their progress will be different from that of an experienced player starting a new f2p account. With experience, one has a better idea of which mechs to purchase, how to equip them, and of course how to play, so their progress will be that much faster.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 04 October 2018 - 09:20 AM.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 04 October 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

Is this your main account or an alternate?
This is my main. We're not allowed to use alts to post on forums - if you want to look it up on the leaderboards, my alt is Horseman IIC

Absolutely fine to do both but new players should keep in mind that their progress will be different from that of an experienced player starting a new f2p account.
I'm not challenging that in the slightest. Just pointing out that tactical use of events and sales can radically improve their progression versus what it could be otherwise.

With experience, one has a better idea of which mechs to purchase, how to equip them, and of course how to play, so their progress will be that much faster.
I would recommend MCII-B. Get it, use it, love it.

Without a sale going on, building this might eat up the entire cadet bonus, but it's very much worth it - the damage output is brutal, just point, click and print C-Bills.
A89D40_1|l^|l^|l^|7f|LR|RRp71|LRq71|RR|`Rrl0|fB|bBsl0|fB|bBt31|RR|LRu31|RR|LRv?0|RRw505050
abf5bf7dc37de7477bbefffff7f0000000000000000000000000080a2211b

Mightyrant said:

Playing in group queue with a friend can be fun as well. Generally group queue is a bit more challenging than solo, as the enemy team is working together in some way shape or form, and sometimes their decks are even set up for mechs to compliment each other. fun place to play, but can be harder.
This is one thing where experience of T1 vs T4 experience are RADICALLY divergent.
I would not advise newbie players to drop in GQ "with a friend" - that experience tends to be brutal, painful and short.
Instead, find an established group of players to team up with and learn from.

FINDING A UNIT TO JOIN
Worth noting that some newbie-friendly units run training courses for players that join them. Keeping a list of such units in this thread might be very helpful.
My current unit, MMAD ( mmad.enjin.com ), is one of them.
HHOD ( mwo.enjin.com ) had a more established selection of training material, but I'm not sure how many trainers they have now, and last I knew their training policies were pretty restrictive on what courses are available to newcomers .

Edited by Horseman, 05 October 2018 - 12:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users