Mwowc Semi-Finals Have Begun!

33 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:38 PM

Greetings MechWarriors and welcome to 2018's MWO World Championships!

The Semi Finals consist of the Top 12 Teams from our Comp Play feature, competing to be a Top 3 Finalist headed to MechCon 2018!

These Top 12 Teams are now exclusively able to enter the Tournament Client in the Portal where they will be scheduled to compete against each other in a double elimination bracket within September 22nd to October 7th!

Don't forget to regularly check out the Semi Finals Bracket Standings and Schedule to keep up with the Semi Finals and potentially watch the games Live Broadcasted on twitch.tv/piranhagames with BanditB17 and Mdmzero0!

Place

Team

Tag

1 EON Synergy EON
2 EmpyreaL EMP
3 1st Jaguar Guard JG-x
4 228th Black Watch 228
5 Phoenix Legion PHL
6 228th -Swamp Foxes- 228S
7 ISENGRIM ISEN
8 Russian Clan Jade Falcon RJF
9 DudesClub Dude
10 228th Wild Ones 228O
11 Smoke Adders - 373rd S373
12 The Answer -42-

#2 Warchild Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 478 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:45 PM

Nice Posted Image

But you wrote the name of my unit wrong Posted Image

EDIT: fixed, ty!

Edited by Warchild Corsair, 22 September 2018 - 12:42 AM.

#3 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:57 PM

Why was the 1st game 7th vs 10th ? why were all games on 1 server not rotated ? Are brackets not usually 1st plays 12th 6th plays 7th etc ? and shouldn't N.A. vs Oce coin flip who gets server 1st then rotate ? (same with NA vs Eu) and Eu vs Oce on N.A. .......... what was the logic behind how your running it ?

Edited by Cadoazreal, 21 September 2018 - 08:58 PM.

#4 Dungeon 206

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:14 PM

@Chris / PGI / Paul

i hope you're watching.
MWO WC Semifinals.
Lurm Nascar
Assaults left behind.
Sloppy play.
YOLO pushes.

i hope you're happy.
congrats. you've turned the world championships into Quick Play

Edited by Dungeon 206, 21 September 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#5 Harambe McHarambeface Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:48 PM

View PostDungeon 206, on 21 September 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

@Chris / PGI / Paul

i hope you're watching.
MWO WC Semifinals.
Lurm Nascar
Assaults left behind.
Sloppy play.
YOLO pushes.

i hope you're happy.
congrats. you've turned the world championships into Quick Play

To be fair, if you knew the comp history of The Magician, he YOLO pushes at some point every single tourney he's in.

#6 Major Major Catch 22

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:00 AM

woo hoo
congrats all
look forward to the stream/recording

:)

#7 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:00 AM

Is this on You Tube ?

#8 Daemonara

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:17 AM

Awesome! Best of luck to all competitors! :D

Edited by Daemonara, 22 September 2018 - 03:17 AM.

#9 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 22 September 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

Is this on You Tube ?

It's on Twitch.

https://www.twitch.t...eos/313120103##

#10 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 677 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

So basically because the player base is so small it's going to be the same people over and over again each year? I'd hate to say it but this whole thing is a farce. If the player base was MUCH larger and many more elite groups it would be fine. Good luck to those who made it though I guess.

Edited by -Ramrod-, 22 September 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#11 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

It's interesting seeing how the games play out with the stock loadouts but you can tell that the players aren't really adapting well to the different dynamic. I see them trying to play as though they all have tweaked out custom mechs, but that only serves to exacerbate the weakness of a given chassis.

Following along the twitch chat it seems as though people are all salty because it is slower. I can see that. The games did go on quite a bit longer than they have in previous years. That said though, one thing that the commentators said that stuck with me was something along the lines of "the mechs are slower, but that means that decisions come at you faster" and I think that holds true, at least from the standpoint of stuff like map control, commitment to a push, or responding to a push. If an anni is limited to 45 KPH then it really forces the team to plan around what's he's up to, and forces the anni pilot to be very aware of where he is choosing to commit himself since he is totally almost totally incapable of actually reacting to what happens dynamically.

Overall I'd say it's nowhere near as 'exciting' to watch, but at the same time it's probably more 'interesting'... But hey, what do I know, MWO is the only 'shooter' type game I play. Other than that I'm generally more interested in much slower paced strategy games.

Edited by Imperialus, 22 September 2018 - 11:10 AM.

#12 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:40 PM

View PostImperialus, on 22 September 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

If an anni is limited to 45 KPH then it really forces the team to plan around what's he's up to, and forces the anni pilot to be very aware of where he is choosing to commit himself since he is totally almost totally incapable of actually reacting to what happens dynamically.

I liked what you said, and i normally pilot mediums, then when i go to assaults i play even worse than normal because i'm unaccustomed to not being able to bail on a bad strategy. It will be almost refreshing to see good players hamstrung in this way, (knowing full well that regardless of appearances their skill level will always surpass mine), yet i can see that without the fine tuning that goes into meta it will make things that little bit more difficult. I find that interesting in itself.

#13 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:45 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 21 September 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

Are brackets not usually 1st plays 12th 6th plays 7th etc ?

Because the higher up the standings the more "lives" you get and the less games you play, its pretty convoluted but number 1 doesn't play 12 because its not instant elimination brackets, i'm guessing its a repacharge style competition which makes low seeded players play better to prove their worth. Ultimately the idea being to fish out the best teams rather than have one bad day eliminate the very best team.

Edited by Laser Kiwi, 22 September 2018 - 12:46 PM.

#14 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:40 PM

View PostLaser Kiwi, on 22 September 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

Because the higher up the standings the more "lives" you get and the less games you play, its pretty convoluted but number 1 doesn't play 12 because its not instant elimination brackets, i'm guessing its a repacharge style competition which makes low seeded players play better to prove their worth. Ultimately the idea being to fish out the best teams rather than have one bad day eliminate the very best team.

1st through 4th seed get a 1st round bye. 5th playes 12th, 6th plays 11th, etc. Then 1st through 4th are thrown in. Due to scheduling issues across 3 different regions, some games are getting played first due to availability of teams, but the slotting due to ranking 1st through 12th still stands

Edited by Vxheous, 22 September 2018 - 02:42 PM.

#15 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:52 PM

View PostVxheous, on 22 September 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

1st through 4th seed get a 1st round bye. 5th playes 12th, 6th plays 11th, etc. Then 1st through 4th are thrown in. Due to scheduling issues across 3 different regions, some games are getting played first due to availability of teams, but the slotting due to ranking 1st through 12th still stands

Thankyou

#16 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:43 PM

I'm glad bandit and mdm are back. I'll be there watching.

#17 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

Game 8 - 228th Wild Ones vs EmpyreaL

Sunday September 23rd 2018 02:00:00 AM (UTC)
(Saturday September 22nd 2018 07:00:00 PM (PDT)

Next game just under 2 hours to start

Edited by Vxheous, 22 September 2018 - 04:12 PM.

#18 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:15 PM

It was a good game. Some negativity about the "lack of meta" in the new format in the twitch comments, but I enjoyed it, do people forget the long range blue laser and ppc exchange and how static that was? I thought it was slower but in some ways more dynamic than last years events, actually looking forward to seeing how top players perform with the new restrictions, (answer, better than the haters in the twitch stream for one thing) We will see, I think, that the top players are top cause they can play and adjust regardless of the dinosaur mech they pilot.

#19 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:21 PM

View PostLaser Kiwi, on 22 September 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

It was a good game. Some negativity about the "lack of meta" in the new format in the twitch comments, but I enjoyed it, do people forget the long range blue laser and ppc exchange and how static that was? I thought it was slower but in some ways more dynamic than last years events, actually looking forward to seeing how top players perform with the new restrictions, (answer, better than the haters in the twitch stream for one thing) We will see, I think, that the top players are top cause they can play and adjust regardless of the dinosaur mech they pilot.

[REDACTED]

Edited by Tina Benoit, 25 September 2018 - 05:16 PM.
Supporting toxicity/nonconstructive/discussing moderation/off-topic

#20 Dungeon 206

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:33 PM

^

its always more satisfying to watch blue lasers, ppcs, direct fire weapons because those are the ones that show off pilot skill...
and i watch WC so that i can watch that skill...

if i wanted to watch brainless skill-less lurms fly around all day, i just need to click the QP button at the top of the screen.... i'll get a first hand experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users