Quitting After A Short Return.

26 replies to this topic

#1 WarGanisM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:09 PM

I've played since beta, and invested a fair amount of real life cash into this game over the years, because I did enjoy, and like the game. However from a strictly Solo quick player experience, the fun is just not there anymore (generally speaking). When you work 50-60hr work week, and you get some time to play a game, you want it to be enjoyable. However back to back losses over entire weekends, is just not fun to experience. As a solo player your skill level is irrelevant, as your enjoyment is held hostage to the team you have been randomly assigned. Often the game is over and decided before it even starts.

1) Too many Disconnects at the start of matches, leaving a team, off to a straight disadvantage. Is disheartening and just overall frustrating when it happens in back to back matches.

2) Bad maps constantly being selected back to back, Polar Highlands and Solaris City imo are just aweful, but they seemingly get selected over, and over again. Even if it's subjective, there's no way/feature to ignore maps you dislike.

3) Lurms, Personally I don't have a too bigger issue with the weapon system itself, but in the greater context it's aweful. Polar highlands gets voted by every LRM player out there, and then the match maker likes to often disproportionately assign them to one team over the other. Yes I know you can out brawl a LRM team, but i am talking exclusively about my experience as a Solo quick play-player, and team stratergies is like hearding cats. Most players don't want to listen, or they just do their own thing.

4) You do event's which are fun, but then reinforce problems within the game. 500 Tag assist, which was programed wrong, and got changed to 50 Tag assists, but thats still alot, so everyone is carrying TAG's and its LRMs all over again. Yes take cover, yes take Radar Deprivation etc etc but again see polar highlands. It all just seems like a reinforcing circle.

5) Nascaring happens far too often, it's a really selfish game style that often sacrifices it slowest players (typically assaults), that even knowledgable vets, can get screwed over by, due to starting spawn locations. Sometimes your team can win, and being the big *** mech that gets chewed up upon in the rear, buying time for your team, is the logic, but its by no means fun. Even as a Light, or a fast medium, i do not find Nascaring fun, just a mindless scramble. Too many Maps encourage this behaviour, HPG Manifold, Caustic Valley, Mining Collective and Grim Plexes. whilst I enjoy those maps, they typically all feature one thing in common, a Central battle point on a raised piece of Terrain, and then the Nascar begins. why this even happens on HPG is beyond me, I like to assume that most intelligent people know that taking and holding the top, is generally seen as the winning stratergy, yet the amount of teams that fail to recognise this.

Yes I know wah wah wah, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I do like this game, and want to enjoy it, I find this forum community pretty embracing to players, rather than the hostile exchanges that take places ingame. I will be back again at some point. However I feel until changes get made, I cannot waste my few free hours I have on a game I'm not enjoying.

Maybe it's just me, and solo pug life is just, well solo pug life, and i'm only seeing the negative sides.

Fair well Mech Warriors. Looks forward to MW5. guess I'll see how the Battletech game plays.

#2 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

I have fun being moderatly competetive and enjoy things with the community. Sorry to hear you're not enjoying MWO. Honestly, the events and new mechs are keeping me playing more than most things.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

I remember playing a Commando in Closed Beta as it was the only thing I could afford. The matchmaker only paired up classes between teams. That was all. Commandos were usually paired against Jenners which were superior. There were only 8 mechs back in those days and no HSR so you had to adjust your lasers to lead targets for pings. I lost most games back then.

#4 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:08 PM

Sounds pretty familiar. I don't even have the game installed anymore just check back here for MechWarrior 5 updates. Hopefully in a couple months we'll have a release date.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:15 PM

If your skill was irrelevant in solo Q, then surely just about everyone would be sitting on a 50/50 win/loss ratio, which isn't the case. It's true that *sometimes* the odds are stacked against you, but more often than not there is a direct correlation between being a decent player, and winning more games than you lose. Unfortunately, "being a decent player" does not mean you can pilot any 'Mech you want or play exactly the way you want. You do need to be cognicent of the current meta game, which changes depending on server location, time of day and the pilot tier you are in.

#6 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:20 PM

I've been having fun running meme builds and focusing on having fun
This whole week I've had tons of fun. Thanks for all the fun guys o7

#7 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:42 PM

Well if you been playing since beta you probably have played longer than you should . I cannot imagine sticking to one game for six years . We all move on and try new stuff , it's natural .

I still like this game but only been playing two years

Edited by DarkFhoenix, 07 October 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#8 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

I've played mount and blade, competitive scene for a bit too, since 2008.

When I find something I like I stick to it and I like MWO.

I'm way better at mb warband than I am mwo tho :D

#9 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:10 PM

Yeah i kinda hate geting the same maps over and over, its always the cold ones too. too many cold maps and not enough hot ones to punish those meta hot laser builds. PGI should just remove map voting and make random.

#10 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

In more matches lately, I see NASCARing way too much. You would think in Tier 2 and 1 where I play they would have learned by now not to do that? But Nope. Same Ol Same Ol.

#11 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

Since you've been here since beta, maybe you should check out the other and much greener pastures.

I myself am currently having a blast with War Thunder ... which now has helis! Posted Image

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

View PostVariant1, on 07 October 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

Yeah i kinda hate geting the same maps over and over, its always the cold ones too. too many cold maps and not enough hot ones to punish those meta hot laser builds.

Common misconception.

The heat penalties and bonuses applied by maps are not a percentage, they are a fixed value. What this means is that mechs with the fewest heatsinks actually feel the penalty (or bonus) much more strongly than mechs who have tons of DHS to counteract the penalty. Laser vomit builds tend to have the highest heatsink quantities by far, therefore they don't lose as much as a dakka mech that is configured to have only a few extra heatsinks if any.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:26 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 October 2018 - 04:07 PM, said:

Common misconception.

The heat penalties and bonuses applied by maps are not a percentage, they are a fixed value. What this means is that mechs with the fewest heatsinks actually feel the penalty (or bonus) much more strongly than mechs who have tons of DHS to counteract the penalty. Laser vomit builds tend to have the highest heatsink quantities by far, therefore they don't lose as much as a dakka mech that is configured to have only a few extra heatsinks if any.

How is this a misconception? It's been proven repeatedly. Though no longer updated there is even a heat simulator which while initially speculating it pulls data from the game. In fact it has changed values at least three times in the past two years despite not being updated manually since early 2016.

If I need to I will dig up where pgi says that the map temperatures are just fluff and they set a percentage modifier. If I am not mistaken this is even available in the third party tool development xml files pgi provided.

Pgi doesn't believe in fixed values otherwise the skill tree would only provide fixed values instead of percentages as would quirks.

To be specific:

These are the values currently:
(Also stand corrected the last manual update was 2015, but it's updated automatically 3 times in the last two years, which only occurs when the map values change, and this is just when I've noticed it.)

Alpine Peaks
125% dissiipation, 125% threshold (+0.25 faster cooling and threshold)
Canyon Network
100% dissiipation, 100% threshold (0)
Caustic Valley Caldera
60% dissiipation, 70% threshold (-0.4 cooling rate, -0.3 max heat.)

Boreal Vault
Crimson Strait
Terra Therma Caldera
40% dissiipation, 88% threshold (-0.6 cooling rate. -0.12 max heat.)

Frozen City
Emerald Taiga
Terra Therma
75% dissiipation, 80% threshold (-0.25 cooling rate. -0.2 max heat.)

Grim Plexus
Forest Colony
Caustic Valley
85% dissiipation, 90% threshold (-0.15 cooling rate. -0.1 max heat.)

Grim Portico
Hellebore Springs
Sulfurous Rift

Polar Highlands
The Mining Collective
Tourmaline Desert

HPG Manifold
River City
Vitric Forge
Viridian Bog

(These are not grouped in any way except to be able to make them comparable to the Steam heat guide if you screen shot the two and place side by side for comparison.)

The so called "multiplier" of the heat guide written later may or may be based on speculation. Ultimately a decimal is still a percentage. Literally any multiplication or division is a percentage increase or decrease and the two are completely interchangeable.

Here's the multiplier values which was...
Posted Jun 20, 2016 @ 3:40pm on Steam
Updated Jul 8, 2016 @ 2:52pm
Unlike the values on the heat sim, these are not automatically updated and if there's any truth to them, you can see where things stayed the same and where they changed. Please note that a modifier of 0.5 can combine the effects of 0.25 cooling and 0.25 threshold difference and get you the same result at face value...

There are also certain portions of maps where environmental effects are more severe, making the use of a single number for a map's overall ambient temperature inaccurate. As with the Heat Management number, I reccomend ignoring ambient temperature in the future.

The actual values for each map's heat effects are tabulated below:
Alpine Peaks
Canyon Network
Caustic Valley Caldera

Boreal Vault
Crimson Strait
Terra Therma Caldera

Frozen City
Emerald Taiga
Terra Therma

Grim Plexus
Forest Colony
Caustic Valley

Grim Portico
Hellebore Springs
Sulfurous Rift

Polar Highlands
The Mining Collective
Tourmaline Desert

HPG Manifold
River City
Vitric Forge
Viridian Bog

Final edit: Fixed formatting issue caused by copy/pasting from steam.

Edited by Koniving, 07 October 2018 - 07:07 PM.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:36 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 October 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

How is this a misconception? It's been proven repeatedly. Though no longer updated there is even a heat simulator which while initially speculating it pulls data from the game. In fact it has changed values at least three times in the past two years despite not being updated manually since early 2016.

If I need to I will dig up where pgi says that the map temperatures are just fluff and they set a percentage modifier. If I am not mistaken this is even available in the third party tool development xml files pgi provided.

Pgi doesn't believe in fixed values otherwise the skill tree would only provide fixed values instead of percentages as would quirks.

The "misconception" is the part about thinking that high-heatsink mechs are going to get punished by these maps. They're not. My Virago laughs at hot maps.

#15 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:13 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 October 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

The "misconception" is the part about thinking that high-heatsink mechs are going to get punished by these maps. They're not. My Virago laughs at hot maps.

guess lasers need a base heat increase then Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 October 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Gotcha. :)
And unfortunately, while they do take a hit the overall hit is hardly meaningful as you said.

Perhaps back in the day when the max threshold was 139. Last year after a number of changes I was only able to get a max of 92 [both of these samples of max threshold went under the rule of it must have at a single ER PPC and as many heatsinks as one can cram into an 100 ton mech). But even then...

(Percentages and the multipliers are posted above. Assuming the heat simulator is still updating automatically in terms of temps, the first set of numbers are the current. The second is the one's from Steam in 2016).

(Terra Therma's only as punishing as Caustic was 3 years ago. Though all the hot maps are generally "softer" on us than in 2015.)

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:20 PM

View PostVariant1, on 07 October 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

guess lasers need a base heat increase then Posted Image Posted Image

The October patch is gonna basically have the opposite effect by cranking dissipation way up while only reducing the cap a wee little bit.

#18 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:28 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 October 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:

The October patch is gonna basically have the opposite effect by cranking dissipation way up while only reducing the cap a wee little bit.

why would they do that? lasers are the top performers in compsPosted Image Posted Image

#19 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:24 AM

It's more correct to say that 'Mechs with poor heat dissipation are going to notice the greatest negative impact, this could be Clanner Joe with his heavy laser loadout, but in all likelihood, any laser boat worth its salt is going to have every free critical stuffed with heat sinks. With that said, any build that generates heat spikes is going to suffer no matter what, as heat thresholds are also lower. My H-PPC Grasshopper for example has decent dissipation, but will probably shoot one volley less before needing to cooldown, or risk a shut down.

Edited by RickySpanish, 08 October 2018 - 01:26 AM.

#20 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:07 AM

View PostWarGanisM, on 07 October 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I've played since beta, and invested a fair amount of real life cash into this game over the years, because I did enjoy, and like the game. However from a strictly Solo quick player experience, the fun is just not there anymore (generally speaking). When you work 50-60hr work week, and you get some time to play a game, you want it to be enjoyable. However back to back losses over entire weekends, is just not fun to experience. As a solo player your skill level is irrelevant, as your enjoyment is held hostage to the team you have been randomly assigned. Often the game is over and decided before it even starts.

1) Too many Disconnects at the start of matches, leaving a team, off to a straight disadvantage. Is disheartening and just overall frustrating when it happens in back to back matches.

2) Bad maps constantly being selected back to back, Polar Highlands and Solaris City imo are just aweful, but they seemingly get selected over, and over again. Even if it's subjective, there's no way/feature to ignore maps you dislike.

3) Lurms, Personally I don't have a too bigger issue with the weapon system itself, but in the greater context it's aweful. Polar highlands gets voted by every LRM player out there, and then the match maker likes to often disproportionately assign them to one team over the other. Yes I know you can out brawl a LRM team, but i am talking exclusively about my experience as a Solo quick play-player, and team stratergies is like hearding cats. Most players don't want to listen, or they just do their own thing.

4) You do event's which are fun, but then reinforce problems within the game. 500 Tag assist, which was programed wrong, and got changed to 50 Tag assists, but thats still alot, so everyone is carrying TAG's and its LRMs all over again. Yes take cover, yes take Radar Deprivation etc etc but again see polar highlands. It all just seems like a reinforcing circle.

5) Nascaring happens far too often, it's a really selfish game style that often sacrifices it slowest players (typically assaults), that even knowledgable vets, can get screwed over by, due to starting spawn locations. Sometimes your team can win, and being the big *** mech that gets chewed up upon in the rear, buying time for your team, is the logic, but its by no means fun. Even as a Light, or a fast medium, i do not find Nascaring fun, just a mindless scramble. Too many Maps encourage this behaviour, HPG Manifold, Caustic Valley, Mining Collective and Grim Plexes. whilst I enjoy those maps, they typically all feature one thing in common, a Central battle point on a raised piece of Terrain, and then the Nascar begins. why this even happens on HPG is beyond me, I like to assume that most intelligent people know that taking and holding the top, is generally seen as the winning stratergy, yet the amount of teams that fail to recognise this.

Yes I know wah wah wah, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I do like this game, and want to enjoy it, I find this forum community pretty embracing to players, rather than the hostile exchanges that take places ingame. I will be back again at some point. However I feel until changes get made, I cannot waste my few free hours I have on a game I'm not enjoying.

Maybe it's just me, and solo pug life is just, well solo pug life, and i'm only seeing the negative sides.

Fair well Mech Warriors. Looks forward to MW5. guess I'll see how the Battletech game plays.

OP: Try playing in windowed full screen as its helped quite a few players with crashes... also be careful when you alt tab back at the start of the match as thats my personal #1 cause of crashing ... Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users