19 replies to this topic

#1 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

after quite a lengthy move cross country ive been away from MWO for the past 16 to 18 months I dont even have my full system online yet but was looking forward to playing again. doesnt seem i can just jump in and blow [Redacted] up I noticed i have tons of rebates of the sort from skills, I have 50 to 70 mechs sitting around I dont really want to waste alot of time relearning where to put points, modules and hash out my builds, since the patcher is still patching is there quick build list i can use to get in and play or do i really need relearn the whole game again?Where should i start guys I'm not Extinct yet The Grey Wolf.

Edited by draiocht, 09 October 2018 - 02:40 PM.
inappropriate language

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:11 PM

I suggest the Battlemechs sub forum here: https://mwomercs.com...96-battlemechs/
There are others off-site.
If you post a list of your favorite mechs, we can guide you more specifically in this thread.
A neat new feature is a link in the mechlab you can use to share your build including skills!

#3 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:15 PM

thank you for the quick reply back in the day i was using the Black night builds i dont know if they are useless now or can still hold their own but id probably start there

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

View PostThegreywolf, on 09 October 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

I have 50 to 70 mechs (to skill up).

My best suggestion would be to utilize the save/load feature for the skill tree. Determine some baseline skills you'd "use on every mech" (Survival and Operations (for cool run) come to mind). Spend a portion of your skill points where you know every mech could use it, saving some for specific build optimizations.

From there, when you skill a mech out you can just load your base you've saved from before and just fill in the specifics for the build being done.

I'd also suggest you NOT try to skill all the mechs right now. Skill them as you intend to use them, probably skill one or two mechs every so often. Keep things varied.

As a side note, always claim your Historical Mech Skill points, before claiming and changing your HXP. The HMSPs are free. You may/should also have bonus History Skill points that are not assigned to any chassis/variant. This can be placed on any mech, so I suggest you take from that pool last.

If you need any farther help with the skill system, just ask.

#5 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:45 PM

yea completely lost currently i have a few bl 6 knt they all have different historic xp so what your saying is to use this hxp first to convert to xp than i will be able to build on my skill tree. next i need to know what skill correlates to my mech and weapons build
im sure each mech is going to have slight variations where im going to save the base load out of the skill tree than customize from there.
questions :
1. once i build out a tree and screw it up can it be changed later?
2. im guessing any changes i will lose xp on each build which depletes my hxp
3 can i find a site to help with my basic build out and start from there as i learn the process.

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:09 PM

View PostThegreywolf, on 09 October 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

yea completely lost currently i have a few bl 6 knt they all have different historic xp so what your saying is to use this hxp first to convert to xp than i will be able to build on my skill tree. next i need to know what skill correlates to my mech and weapons build
im sure each mech is going to have slight variations where im going to save the base load out of the skill tree than customize from there.
questions :
3 can i find a site to help with my basic build out and start from there as i learn the process.

1. Once a skill nodes been unlocked, it's always unlocked. You can turn it on and off at will from there. However, you can only have 91 skill nodes active at a given time. So, if you have a mech with a build that's in flux, you can always just unlock more nodes for different builds as needed. (And, now that you can save skills and loadouts... It's not that hard to switch out a mech for different builds quickly.)

2. The only Exp cost is the unlocking of a skill now. This was changed, as when the new skill system was first introduced, it was different. Try to use Historic Skill points first (they are completely free to claim for the chassis/variant). If you have General Skill points, hold on to those for mechs you want to quickly skill out (also free to claim). After that is expended, then work with Historic Experience (this, like normal and general experience, will cost some C-bills to convert to skill points for the mech), if needed.

Try not to assign more than 91 skill points to a mech, unless you need to adjust and unlock additional skill nodes.

3. Enter this code into your "Import" option in your mech lab skill tab: a0000000000000000b00d87c33c00000000000000e877660e000000000000
(Edit: You can copy this code as normal, and then in game press Ctrl and V to paste it into the import tab.)

That should be a solid base to go with for most mechs. For your Black Knight specifically, it's an energy boat. It would be a good idea to focus on heat containment as some possible additional skills to look into. If you have lasers (don't see why you wouldn't), send the rest of your skill points in either:
- Maximizing your survival more (every bit can help).
- Laser Duration Skills (there are 4 of them in total) and maybe cooldown and heat gen.
- Look into Auxiliary and consider using the Cool Shot nodes (and don't forget to bring them!) for those moments where you run hot or die...

If you are bringing PPCs (I guess you might), instead of looking at laser duration skills, look at Velocity instead.

Of course, tailor to your desires and needs. If you want it to "go faster" or "twist faster" for better poking or twist shielding (respectfully), then the Mobility Tree may be a good idea for you instead. For fast mechs, it might actually be better to ditch the survival tree completely for mobility instead... (as examples.)

Don't lock yourself into only one skill build for all your mechs. Some mechs may deviate from the expected "norms". My Black Lanner concentrates more on Mobility Tree for better poking and speed. Be adjustable and willing to make new builds as needed for the mech.

Edited by Tesunie, 09 October 2018 - 04:12 PM.

#7 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

Tesunie thank you that helped a lot really appreciate you taking the time to help out

Grey

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:39 PM

View PostThegreywolf, on 09 October 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Tesunie thank you that helped a lot really appreciate you taking the time to help out

Grey

Anytime.
Have any more questions, there's normally plenty of people willing to help. So don't be afraid to ask.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:44 PM

It's basically the same game with a little more customization. Modules are out the window and instead it's still part of the skill tree.

Use historical sp first in all cases.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:52 AM

View PostThegreywolf, on 09 October 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

yea completely lost currently i have a few bl 6 knt they all have different historic xp so what your saying is to use this hxp first to convert to xp than i will be able to build on my skill tree.
NO. Do not convert HXP to XP, I've fallen into that trap on a few mechs myself. Buy SP with that HXP directly, and only the amount you're allocating.

Yes.

No. You spend 1 SP to unlock a node. Once unlocked, it stays unlocked and can be toggled on and off at will.

Tarogato posted a guide in the guides forum on here, look it up.

#11 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:06 AM

THANK YOU after looking through my logs its been 22 months since i last played it was fun to not screw up too badly last night I still need alot of work but thanks again for getting me in fairly quickly everyone i really needed a night off.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:56 AM

If you want skill trees for specific mech builds, just ask.

#13 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:09 PM

I can use a skill tree build for a grasshopper , thunderbolt and a timberwolf any help while i learn the difference of why im choosing some of these im playing with the bl 6knt and i have several of them currently and im changing the trees to see the difference in performance

Edited by Thegreywolf, 13 October 2018 - 01:10 PM.

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostThegreywolf, on 13 October 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

I can use a skill tree build for a grasshopper , thunderbolt and a timberwolf any help while i learn the difference of why im choosing some of these im playing with the bl 6knt and i have several of them currently and im changing the trees to see the difference in performance

Grasshopper is very likely going to follow the same principals of the Black Knight, seen as each are energy mechs.

As for the Thunderbolt and Timberwolf, it's going to depend upon what build you are planning of making for them.

If you have any questions on what a specific skill node does, just ask.

#15 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

hey guys i seem to have settled on a mech thats been working well so far i have a few variants of it hellbringer Prime I have a few of them so ive been playing with the skill tree I'm running 2 C-Heavy LL 4 med ER-L 14 double heatsinks ive played with a few skill tree formats but its so hard to tweak this right now is there an optimal skill tree load out ive been running with survival mode and no survival mode mostly everything on cooling any help would be appreciated so i dont spend any more sp on these mechs to get it right.
thank you in advance for any help

Grey

#16 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:25 PM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:28 PM.

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:16 AM

View PostThegreywolf, on 29 October 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

hey guys i seem to have settled on a mech thats been working well so far i have a few variants of it hellbringer Prime I have a few of them so ive been playing with the skill tree I'm running 2 C-Heavy LL 4 med ER-L 14 double heatsinks ive played with a few skill tree formats but its so hard to tweak this right now is there an optimal skill tree load out ive been running with survival mode and no survival mode mostly everything on cooling any help would be appreciated so i dont spend any more sp on these mechs to get it right.
thank you in advance for any help

Grey

Once again, an all energy build (which isn't a problem). This will want very similar skills as your Grasshopper and Blacknight from before. Aim to get all the Cool Run skills, maybe heat threshold/capacity (not really needed). from there, follow the left half of the survival tree to get the bulk of the Armor Hardening skills. Your next trip should be to the Weapons tree, to snag the Laser Duration Reduction nodes as a minimum. These are your primary skills, so look for the shortest paths to get those specific skill nodes.

From there, you can invest into the Cool Shot consumable upgrades if you feel like learning how to use them. Popping a cool shot at just the right moment can be the difference between death from overheat/shutdown, and killing your target before they kill you, or even escaping after one more shot into them. Cooldown and heat gen nodes from the Firepower/weapons tree wouldn't be a bad idea either. You wouldn't need all of them, but it makes for a reasonable filler to grab some of them once you've gotten your core skills down. If your build has ECM, you could even consider trying to grab the ECM skill nodes from the Sensor tree. This will improve the function of your ECM, which can be handy, but it might be too heavy of a skill point sink, depending upon what you are looking for.

You could also visit the mobility tree for more Hard Brake and Increased Acceleration skills, to aid in poking out and getting back into cover faster, but this probably isn't as useful as other skills so I'd build everything else first. Avoid unneeded range skill nodes, unless you feel a little bit more rang would be helpful to you. For the most part (excluding possibly ECM and Radar Deprivation), avoid the sensor tree, you really don't need it for that build.

Part of the strength of the skill tree system is the ability to choose what you want your mech to do, and focus more skills on those aspects. I can't lay out a solid "these are the only skills for you", as every person values certain skills more than others. I personally will always get an almost full jump jet tree if my mech can jump. I find those skills useful. There are others here who say it's a waste of time to even bother with that tree. I find on average that the mobility tree doesn't offer me much benefit, but other people swear by those skills, and take then on most of their mechs.

Some of this will be finding out what skills you value, why you value them and choosing your skills according to what your mech can do and what it needs.

#18 Thegreywolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warlord
  • The Warlord
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas NV

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:55 PM

thank you

#19 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostThroe, on 29 October 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Take note of what the various types of new Skill Point Currency are, and their use priority:

1) HSP. This is variant specific, and there's no way to spend them on any other variant. There's no additional cost to use these on a variant, and you can never get more. (non-renewable)
2) XP. Variant specific XP, same as in the old system. Redeem in units of 800 xp and 45k CBills for 1 SP. (renewable)
3) HXP. Functionally identical to XP, except it's generic to a chassis. After you're almost out(<800), you can convert the remainder to XP on a variant at no additional cost. (non-renewable)
4) GXP. This is general experience that you earn at the same 5% rate as before the Skill Tree patch. Can be used to level any 'Mech, at 800 XP + 45k CBills for 1 SP. (renewable)
5) GSP. General Skill Points. These are most valuable. There's no additional cost to use them. They're usable on any 'Mech, any variant. You can never earn more. (non-renewable).

My understanding on 2 and 3 is somewhat different, below. I'll take a look tomorrow when I can play, then report back.

2) XP. Variant 'Mech-specific XP, same as in the old system. Redeem in units of 800 xp and 45k CBills for 1 SP. (renewable)
3) HXP. Functionally identical to XP, except it's generic to a chassisvariant. After you're almost out(<800), you can convert the remainder to XP on a variant individual 'mech at no additional cost. (non-renewable)

To give context, my understanding was that HXP is the heir to old unused variant-specific XP. In the old system, you mastered 'mechs by variant, so if you mastered a HBK-IIC-A, then bought a second one, both would have mastery-level skills. Any XP gained by use of either was pooled together as HBK-IIC-A XP.

In the new system, you master the individual 'mech. So if you have one mastered HBK-IIC-A, and buy a second one, that second one starts at 0XP and 0 Skills. (I keep using the HBK-IIC-A b/c I have two copies of it, and each is skilled slightly differently. But I had both under the old system, and haven't bought any other duplicate variants.)

It's also worth noting that skills are not durable - if you sell the 'mech, you lose the skills. That, at least, is what the game told me when I sold my HBK-4G. I bought it, put a bunch of GSP into it, hated it, then sold it, and according to the message, those 91 GSP are gone with the wind. This in contrast to the old system, where mastery was forever. You could buy or sell a 'mech a hundred times, and it would still be mastered.

Edited by Jables McBarty, 01 November 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#20 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:46 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 01 November 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

My understanding on 2 and 3 is somewhat different, below. I'll take a look tomorrow when I can play, then report back.

2) XP. Variant 'Mech-specific XP, same as in the old system. Redeem in units of 800 xp and 45k CBills for 1 SP. (renewable)
3) HXP. Functionally identical to XP, except it's generic to a chassisvariant. After you're almost out(<800), you can convert the remainder to XP on a variant individual 'mech at no additional cost. (non-renewable)

To give context, my understanding was that HXP is the heir to old unused variant-specific XP. In the old system, you mastered 'mechs by variant, so if you mastered a HBK-IIC-A, then bought a second one, both would have mastery-level skills. Any XP gained by use of either was pooled together as HBK-IIC-A XP.

This is correct.

It's also worth noting that skills are not durable - if you sell the 'mech, you lose the skills. That, at least, is what the game told me when I sold my HBK-4G. I bought it, put a bunch of GSP into it, hated it, then sold it, and according to the message, those 91 GSP are gone with the wind. This in contrast to the old system, where mastery was forever. You could buy or sell a 'mech a hundred times, and it would still be mastered.
Also correct. Any XP you had on the mech are also gone upon sale, BTW.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users