Would You Support Recreating Mwo In Unreal4?

140 replies to this topic

#1 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

I think plenty of us have been musing and hoping that they end up doing this. Perhaps just use MW5 as a base and then build on the features needed to recreate MWO in Unreal 4. But that would still require months of development and of course the people to keep it going. So PGI would be taking on the cost and gambling on the willingness of the community to buy more mechs.

So how many of you, that are still ghosting the forums, would buy a MW02.0 supporter pack? Keep in mind, while it might be a new engine, it's still PGI. The same people are in charge and the UI will still be unappealing. But let's be generous and say it's at least less janky than what we have now. Runs smoother with less hiccups. Perhaps hit reg is about the same. And visually it's probably about the same, but with a few more lighting options. Would people be willing to buy a supporter pack? Or should we just settle with our franken cryengine and a bucket of salt?

I personally don't have any other game that I enjoy like MWO. I even went back to World of Tanks and quickly remembered why I hated it. A lot of tanks sitting behind a corner waiting for someone else to poke around the corner. Or waiting in bushes for other tanks to magically appear. Gave War Thunder a shot. And it was a lot of slow driving to get to a place to get one shotted by an unseen enemy tank. Even played Crossout and that was kinda fun. But horribly grindy. Just unlock certain things I have to get rep with certain factions. I much prefer being able to just buy any equipment with C-bills in MWO to that model.

I would rather not see the only game that I continue to come back to die. This game could still be great. Yeah I know saying that makes me sound like a clown. But I think the potential was always there.

Edited by MechaBattler, 11 October 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:59 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 11 October 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

So how many of you, that are still ghosting the forums, would buy a MW02.0 supporter pack?

Only if all my 'mechs came with me. Otherwise, I'd take the F2P route.

#3 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:59 AM

Probably.

How likely that is to happen is pretty up in the air.

It more than likely is not an easy task, but it would give them an opportunity to hire someone to rewrite the database and front end.

#4 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

Yeah I think retaining all of our mechs, equipment, stats, etc has to be a given. The stats I could care less about honestly. But I didn't grind just to lose my stuff. Doubly so for things I paid real money for.

#5 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:09 PM

I don't want the exact same product we have in MWO with a new engine. If they're going to make an MWO 2.0 using UE4, they had better take the opportunity to fix some of the mistakes they made over the course of developing MWO.

#6 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

I would gladly hand over a small sum to port the game onto a more stable engine. Provided I get to keep my stuff, and there's some assurance that the game can improve and find ways to attract new players.

MWO definitely satisfies an itch that no other game can. I just hope the devs don't shoot us all in the foot.

#7 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:15 PM

Assuming they can keep the "Core" of MWO (Full mechlab, current building system, etc), yeah, i'm game for upgrading to a new engine based game. Ideally, they'd even let me bring all my stuff along with me. Not a deal-breaker if they don't, as they'd be doing the same thing for everyone else too.

However, I'm not seeing the huge bonus of doing so unless they add other things to it, things currently not possible due to cryengine. It's an absolutely huge undertaking, and without big payoffs, it's not going to happen, IMO. I'm not sure what kinds of "killer features" are possible from a design perspective, honestly.

All that being said, i do have a few things that I could imagine seeing with an engine change could include/improve -
- Larger numbers of simultaneous players. (read 16, 24 man teams or larger, or FW without multiple drops, and/or planetside/battlefield type of play for FW.)
- Fixes to faster mechs, and better hit detection there. (Probably unlikely, but you never know)
- Possibly new features to mechs not currently in the game (Melee, knockdowns, etc.)
- Improvements to graphics, and/or lighting (Cockpits more like early MWO with all the extra bits and baubles, better weapon lighting and shadows, etc)
- Improvements to UI, Loading times, and/or framerates.

Whether those types of things are worth porting an entire game over to another, i don't know. I would guess though, that a lot of the framework for doing so is already done with MW5, in all honesty though, so maybe the undertaking isn't as big as i would imagine.

Edited by Daurock, 11 October 2018 - 12:16 PM.

#8 Kalleballe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

Definitivly not,too many disapointments to have any positive expectations.

#9 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:34 PM

If we get to bring all our stuff over then ok I might be willing to buy a supporter pack of some kind, provided the pack was good value content for the price of course.

I don't think it's a good idea though, it would be better if pgi funded the port themselves and then offered good content to buy after release. I don't think they have enough goodwill to pull off crowd funding and a failure would just hurt their reputation even more. Better to prove they can do it first and then ask money for the finished product, that would rebuild some trust.

Edited by Sjorpha, 11 October 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#10 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

Nope. MW5 hasn't even launched yet (so it's quality is unknown) and considering it's taken 6 years to get MWO this paltry state, I don't want these guys handling a sequel.

#11 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:00 PM

I'll gladly fork over $60 to upgrade engine and keep my mechs.

I love mwo, but I won't buy the same mechs again. They can upgrade the business model to include custom hangars, new geometry on the mechs (like how the clan primes got different leg models), etc, and they can sell me new mechs for another couple years.

#12 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:07 PM

I would completely support this.

I wish they had done this instead of MW5 TBH.

#13 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:34 PM

If I can keep everything already in this game AND they make some long desired changes, I'll fork over some money.

#14 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

As of today, most definitely no.

Get back to me once MW5 is released.

#15 Lazor Sharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

I would buy a Supporter Pack for a upgrade to Unreal 4, but ONLY if I get to keep all the stuff I have paid for already...!!! If they make it to where everyone has to buy all the mech packs again, I will NEVER buy anything from them again....

PGI has a golden opportunity to upgrade MWO, once they have MW5 out, and keep the old players and get new players coming in.

The 2 different games PVE and PVP MW cater to 2 different kinds of gamer's, with a large overlap in the flavor the player base wants to play at any given time. The Uber Casual ppl that play once a Mo. for a few hrs, or only want to play CooP with their 2-3 friends, need PVE so that they dont get curb stomped by all the MWO Vets in PVP....

Ppl that Play PVP just want to play against other ppl most of the time, but sometimes need a slow down to PVE for what ever reason.

The golden opportunity here, is to Make both both PVE and PVP UI and features set as close to each other as possible, so that PVE MW5+ CooP, turns into a Training Ground for PVP MWO2.

Newbies will start with MW5 and play through it to the point that the AI and Missions get old, and they want more of a challenge and will move on to PVP. By that time, they should be good enough with the basic's, that PVP is not so hard to get into as it is now. New Player Experience in MWO2 Solo Q will increase a lot.

MW5 + 4 Man CooP will allow MWO Vets to train Newbies to play in MWO2 PVP a lot easier than it is now in GQ.

This could be a Win, Win situation for a very wide range of the current player base that MWO does not currently cater to effectively, and the potential new player base, if PGI will make every effort to HOOK the PVE and PVP games together where they feed off each other in a synergistic way.....

Edited by Lazor Sharp, 11 October 2018 - 02:00 PM.

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Post- World Eater -, on 11 October 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

If I can keep everything already in this game AND they make some long desired changes, I'll fork over some money.

problem is you cant trust PGI to do what they say. lots of players are still mad about faction play not meeting expectations. And all the other broken promises.

so im gonna have to say NO.

last thing I wanna do is spend $30+ on an MWO unreal edition pack and end up with another minimally viable game because PGI still hasnt learned their lesson.

now if PGI wants to secure funding from other sources, then prove to me they can make more than just a minimally viable shell of a game, then I might buy something.

Edited by Khobai, 11 October 2018 - 02:18 PM.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:39 PM

id support an mwo2 but only if it abandons the f2p model. pay once like mw5 if its an arena shooter. if they try to make it an mmo proper i might be willing to pay a subscription.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 October 2018 - 02:42 PM.

#18 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

I think it would irk people if they changed from F2P and people could get all the mechs for a heavily discounted one time purchase. And it wouldn't be nearly as profitable given all the mechs already in the game.

Personally I feel like I would pay for a better running version of MWO. But I would also hope they explore other game mode options. Like making free for all work. And a mode similar to Living Legends. Definitely would be interested to see some combined arms at the very least.

#19 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 11 October 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

Personally I feel like I would pay for a better running version of MWO

im sure everyone here feels that way, if it was a guaranteed thing.

the problem is there are no guarantees with PGI. we could end up with a new version of the game thats just as minimally viable as MWO. In fact, given PGIs dubious track record, id say thats the most likely outcome.

View PostMechaBattler, on 11 October 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

I think it would irk people if they changed from F2P and people could get all the mechs for a heavily discounted one time purchase. And it wouldn't be nearly as profitable given all the mechs already in the game.

they better let people keep their existing mechs or no one will spend money on MWO2.

charging people a second time for essentially the same product would be unacceptable.

Edited by Khobai, 11 October 2018 - 03:45 PM.

#20 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

or they could just update the game then have to a new graphics system...its not like its not do able https://www.pcgamer....s-in-update-10/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users