Dropship Deal Help

13 replies to this topic

#1 Avengar

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:17 PM

i'm thinking of buying the IS assault hero's but sometimes the hero's aren't that great but I'm thinking of getting the mean baby, Sleipnir and the Wrath not sure about the 4th, any feedback on those 3?

Edited by Avengar, 11 October 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:53 PM

The Mean Baby has always been considered a bad hero from my recollection. I can't even remember the last time I saw one in a match. The Awesome chassis itself is not very awesome, never has been. Occasionally you see them as LRM boats.

#3 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:26 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 11 October 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

The Mean Baby has always been considered a bad hero from my recollection. I can't even remember the last time I saw one in a match. The Awesome chassis itself is not very awesome, never has been. Occasionally you see them as LRM boats.

Why not run it as a slower heavy?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...170fc7a6162b508

Edited by Acersecomic, 12 October 2018 - 06:36 AM.

#4 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 11 October 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

You're confusing the Mean Baby with the Pretty Baby. The Awesome Hero is Pretty Baby, the Annihilator Hero is Mean Baby.

For the OP, unless you know you'll be satisfied playing Assault mechs I'd suggest first dipping your toe into the weight class with a single mech rather than spending $40 on four heroes and finding out they don't work well for you.

I'd suggest looking at the Solaris 7 pack for a nice variety of decent hero mechs including a pair of Assault mechs. For $30 it offers 2 light heroes, 1 medium hero, 2 heavy heroes, and 2 assault heroes. Only the Mad Dog is turnkey but once configured properly the Atlas and Banshee heroes would allow you to get a feel for the assault mech play style and you'll have five other mechs should you want something different.

#5 Avengar

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:04 AM

I have some assault mechs already, I've just come back after a year+ away, i'm trying to add some newer assaults to my faction war drop decks and thought this might be a chance to add some, all my old ones are outdated, a couple highlanders, stalkers, battlemaster and king crabs, I took advantage of the last sale and got the warhammers, rifleman for my heavys and the phoenixhawk for my mediums

#6 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:16 AM

So yea, the only really good IS Hero is the Sleipnir.... it can do a number of good ballistic builds.

The Knockout, Mean Baby and Pretty Baby are useful as LRM boats, which is actually useful in FP if you have a team dedicated to using LRMs and are on an LRM friendly map like Polar or Caustic, or defending Boreal or Hellebore.

#7 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:37 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 12 October 2018 - 08:16 AM, said:

So yea, the only really good IS Hero is the Sleipnir.... it can do a number of good ballistic builds.

The Knockout, Mean Baby and Pretty Baby are useful as LRM boats, which is actually useful in FP if you have a team dedicated to using LRMs and are on an LRM friendly map like Polar or Caustic, or defending Boreal or Hellebore.

Please don't be a part of the problem. Even worse, you mention LRM Boat and Assault in the same sentence.

#8 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:53 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 12 October 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

Please don't be a part of the problem. Even worse, you mention LRM Boat and Assault in the same sentence.

Meh, you say that like it's a bad thing. I've done quite a bit of testing with LRM assaults, and I find them quite effective at having a positive influence on my team winning the game. I've been trolling around in an LRM80 Fafnir lately, packing an XL engine. 1.8 win/loss rate, which leads me to believe it's a positive influence on my team winning more often than it's a liability. Granted, it's definitely a liability on some maps, but it's quick play, every mech will have good and bad maps unless you take an all-round mid-range trader build.

True, a good mid-range trader will have an even bigger impact on the team's win/loss ratio (my hellbringer has a 2.5 w/l rate in QP this season) but that gets boring after a while, and trolling around in an LRM assault is funny because of your team (and the enemy team's) reactions to them. Pulling 1200 damage on a regular basis is fun.

Chris has blessed us with ultra low heat LRM's.... we might as well use them. Embrace the new meta. Bring LRM assaults.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 12 October 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#9 Avengar

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

So i'm starting to think the Hero deal might not be so great since only a couple of hero's are good, I guess i'll just buy an assault pack, the ones i'm seeing most of are cyclops, Fafnir and [color=#959595]Annihilator any feed back on those packs?[/color]

#10 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

View PostAvengar, on 12 October 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

So i'm starting to think the Hero deal might not be so great since only a couple of hero's are good, I guess i'll just buy an assault pack, the ones i'm seeing most of are cyclops, Fafnir and [color=#959595]Annihilator any feed back on those packs?[/color]

The Annihilator pack comes with the ANH-2A, ANH-1A, and ANH-1E. Of these, the 2A and 1A are both very useful and can do a lot of good builds, but the 1E is somewhat useless, because it relies on energy weapons, and IS energy weapons on assaults aren't great because we can't mount enough heatsinks. 2 HPPC + 6 ERML with like 40 single heatsinks is fun, but by no means very good.

The Fafnir pack comes with the FNR-5, FNR-5B, and the FNR-6U. The FNR-5 and FNR-5B are both very useful, but the FNR-6U is absolutely useless as far as I can tell. I sold mine.

The Cyclops pack comes with the CP-11-A, CP-10-Q, and CP-10-Z. Of these, only the CP-10-Q is any good, and it's purely an SRM brawler.

Of the 3 packs you mentioned, I'd go with the Fafnir pack, and get the collectors pack. That's $40.00, but it gives you 60 days premium time, and an FNR-5(S), which has a +30% cbill bonus. You can load it up with 4x LBX10, and it will farm c-bills super easily. You can do the same thing with the Annihilator pack actually, since the ANH-2A is the best one and you'd get that for $40 with the collectors pack, but I think the Fafnir is a bit better for QP since it's got ECM, and is a little easier to overlook.

Once you farm up a bunch of c-bills, you can buy any other mechs you need.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 12 October 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#11 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:41 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 12 October 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Meh, you say that like it's a bad thing. I've done quite a bit of testing with LRM assaults, and I find them quite effective at having a positive influence on my team winning the game. I've been trolling around in an LRM80 Fafnir lately, packing an XL engine. 1.8 win/loss rate, which leads me to believe it's a positive influence on my team winning more often than it's a liability. Granted, it's definitely a liability on some maps, but it's quick play, every mech will have good and bad maps unless you take an all-round mid-range trader build.

True, a good mid-range trader will have an even bigger impact on the team's win/loss ratio (my hellbringer has a 2.5 w/l rate in QP this season) but that gets boring after a while, and trolling around in an LRM assault is funny because of your team (and the enemy team's) reactions to them. Pulling 1200 damage on a regular basis is fun.

Chris has blessed us with ultra low heat LRM's.... we might as well use them. Embrace the new meta. Bring LRM assaults.

It is a bad thing. First off, Tons of LRMs. This is not about effectivness, it is about the toxicity and a toxic mechanic from a toxic weapon which is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. Have some shame and sportsmanship and do not ruin matches for other people. God, it is like someone's obnoxious child is banging a thousand drums on your hea while you're having a headache, without line of sight for you to push them back! Extremely annoying and disgusting. Because PGI can't properly fix that gameplay isssue. I'll take a full dakka tem overa single LRM boat any day even if it means losing to them.
It is selfish, trollish and extremely rude fun without consideration of others and how it completely ruins someone's match to the point it is not even worth playing for the next few hours. Throw your hands up and go do anything else. Games are supposed to be fun and not filled with griefers. LRM toxicity is a problem and so is quitting for the day because od them. They are just not fun to play against, a game that is not fun does not get much player count. Guess how little players MWO has if you can constantly run into same players over and over again over a period of months and months despite multicontinent servers.

#12 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:07 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 12 October 2018 - 11:41 PM, said:

It is a bad thing. First off, Tons of LRMs. This is not about effectivness, it is about the toxicity and a toxic mechanic from a toxic weapon which is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. Have some shame and sportsmanship and do not ruin matches for other people. God, it is like someone's obnoxious child is banging a thousand drums on your hea while you're having a headache, without line of sight for you to push them back! Extremely annoying and disgusting. Because PGI can't properly fix that gameplay isssue. I'll take a full dakka tem overa single LRM boat any day even if it means losing to them.
It is selfish, trollish and extremely rude fun without consideration of others and how it completely ruins someone's match to the point it is not even worth playing for the next few hours. Throw your hands up and go do anything else. Games are supposed to be fun and not filled with griefers. LRM toxicity is a problem and so is quitting for the day because od them. They are just not fun to play against, a game that is not fun does not get much player count. Guess how little players MWO has if you can constantly run into same players over and over again over a period of months and months despite multicontinent servers.

I am sorry you feel this way. But I will continue to abuse LRMs until enough people complain about the that PGI nerfs them back to where they belong, or the game dies.

Your reaction is funny to me though, and honestly seeing how angry LRMs make people like you makes me enjoy using them even more. Calling me a toxic griefer for using a weapon system in the game... very amusing to me.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 13 October 2018 - 12:07 AM.

#13 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:11 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 13 October 2018 - 12:07 AM, said:

I am sorry you feel this way. But I will continue to abuse LRMs until enough people complain about the that PGI nerfs them back to where they belong, or the game dies.

Your reaction is funny to me though, and honestly seeing how angry LRMs make people like you makes me enjoy using them even more. Calling me a toxic griefer for using a weapon system in the game... very amusing to me.

Oh... so we are of the same opinion and method then? ������
I have a SuperNova-A just for abusing LRMs to make them an obnoxious issue and be a part of the problem so PGI fixes the damn trajectory and fall angle on final approach. Though I scaled down from LRM80A to LRM40A (or 30?) + ATM24 + Triple Medium Pulse and Tag. Even when trying to be a part of the problem I couldn't stand myself so I downsized.

Edited by Acersecomic, 13 October 2018 - 06:17 AM.

#14 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:16 AM

DOUBLE POST on accident

Edited by Acersecomic, 13 October 2018 - 06:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users