I Really, Really Love My Crabs... :)

8 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:49 AM

After recently buying the Crab Pack and levelling my Crab 27 and the Crab 27B, I have to say, I love them.

I originally bought an ordinary Crab 27 because of the stupid amounts of lurms in the fields a few months ago, and felt it was okay. It was a bit painful to skill up, but I got it mastered eventually. Since then it turned into my go to Mech whenever I expect heavy lurming, I felt I should get the Crab Pack and play the 27 with a CBill bonus. Might as well get rich while playing support Mechs.

So I started over with the 27 ® and the 27B and I am having huge amounts of fun. The damage is admittedly mediocre most of the time, but boy can those things take a pounding. During the event today I won a number of matches by pushing in and tanking when nobody else was willing to do it. Still survived most of those tries. In one match we turned a 10/10 (2 mediums on our side, medium and assault on red team) into a 12/10 win. I had a number of games where I tanked 3 Mechs. About half of them I actually survived, in the other half we got three kills they got one. And I am not even done skilling them.

If anybody is looking for a forgiving but powerful Mech, I can really really recommend the Crab(s). With a little twisting they are so hard to kill. Unless people shoot the legs. ;)

#2 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:32 PM

They are tough little mechs, though I could never stop shooting into the ground with those low slung arms. Pro tip, when fighting a crab, always go for the legs, because they can splash torso damage all day. Also, if you like the crab, consider checking out the Bushwacker that has a similar ability to splash damage.

#3 Veolfen

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

The Crab is probably the Toughest med in the game.
I like him a lot too, but yeah i find it hard to deal a lot of damages with it. My best matches was when i did a double crab duo with a friend.

The Bushy is the other tough med, slightly less tough (slightly worse hitboxes + bigger mech + skipped leg day) but more powerful and can have more variety in his builds.

Edited by Veolfen, 13 October 2018 - 11:24 PM.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:41 AM

I averaged 336 damage with my first Crab 27, 306 with my 27B (under 30 skillpoints) and 347 with my Crab 27 R (60 skillpoints).

Not a powerhouse by any means, high damage only comes from living long enough. But it is fairly forgiving.

I do have a Bushwacker X2 and I am currently waiting for the next sale to buy an X1. It is hard to kill, too, but does not really feel as tanky as the Crabs, IMO. :) Also, I think the Wacker is going to get nerfed tomorrow in the patch, IIRC.

#5 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:52 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 14 October 2018 - 12:41 AM, said:

I averaged 336 damage with my first Crab 27, 306 with my 27B (under 30 skillpoints) and 347 with my Crab 27 R (60 skillpoints).

Not a powerhouse by any means, high damage only comes from living long enough. But it is fairly forgiving.

Very respectable!

Posted Image Also, I think the Wacker is going to get nerfed tomorrow in the patch, IIRC.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

#6 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:59 AM

Checked the patch notes again. Annihilator, Fafnir, Cyclops Sleipnir and the Bushwacker will see "scale down of defensive quirks". No idea what they end up with.

#7 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:37 AM

Yes, the Crab has great hitboxes, and can run a Std engine for no heat sinking/speed loss when losing a CT. It also has good maneuverability stats (compared to pigs like the Shadow Hawk & Griffin).

I run my CRB-27 with a ERLL (CT), and 5 ER Mediums, the stock std 81kph engine, and lots of DHS. It runs cool and can pump out a lot of damage before cooling off. I have not messed around with adding AMS, and would probably want to slow it down a bit to do so instead of dropping DHS.

My JJ-equipped 27b runs 5 medium pulse lasers, and is somehow hotter. I don't usually crank as much damage out with it.

Edited by Jonathan8883, 14 October 2018 - 04:37 AM.

#8 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:56 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 14 October 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

I run my CRB-27 with a ERLL (CT), and 5 ER Mediums, the stock std 81kph engine, and lots of DHS.
My JJ-equipped 27b runs 5 medium pulse lasers, and is somehow hotter. I don't usually crank as much damage out with it.

I am confused... The Crab 27 only has 5 energy points. The 27B is the one with 6 energy hardpoints. And neither the 27 nor the 27B can equip jumpjets...

Either way, I have 5MPL on my 27, myself and use 2LL and 4 ML on the 27B...

#9 Veolfen

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:19 AM

I do have a Bushwacker X2 and I am currently waiting for the next sale to buy an X1. It is hard to kill, too, but does not really feel as tanky as the Crabs, IMO. Posted Image Also, I think the Wacker is going to get nerfed tomorrow in the patch, IIRC.

Yes Bushy has overall more armor/structure, but is a bigger target, has long legs and stuff, making it less tanky than the crab. Still tanky, and overall has way more firepower, but it's slower and less tough.

For the nerf, the Bush gets -4 armor quirk on all parts (and -6 on ct quirk)

Edited by Veolfen, 14 October 2018 - 08:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users