Shanghaied Into Windows 10

9 replies to this topic

#1 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:28 AM

and i feel so dirty. apparently that thousand dollar pile of new computer parts i bought doesn't have drivers for windows other than 10. it was a serious head desk moment. something to watch out for would be system builders. ive never seen hardware with such crappy legacy support in many years of building rigs.

also how did mwo get so big. 20 gigs wtf?

#2 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:56 AM

Welcome to the Club 10 man. :P

#3 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:35 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 October 2018 - 05:28 AM, said:

and i feel so dirty. apparently that thousand dollar pile of new computer parts i bought doesn't have drivers for windows other than 10. it was a serious head desk moment. something to watch out for would be system builders. ive never seen hardware with such crappy legacy support in many years of building rigs.

I ran into the same problem when I rebuilt my PC after a lightning strike
I bought a Gigabyte gaming 6

but it turned out it was windows 10
so I bought my windows 10 off amazon
it is a big shift in things where they shove things down your throat whether you want them or no
if you go in and roll back the changes they pound you into the ground as they try to reapply the updates again and again

after awhile you just give up
every update makes the thing worse and worse the latest windows 10 is reported to delete files off your PC without your permission

its a big change in how the world works and how we used to think (in the USA anyways)
this new way is you take what we give you not what you want

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:21 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 15 October 2018 - 12:35 AM, said:

every update makes the thing worse and worse the latest windows 10 is reported to delete files off your PC without your permission

i heard about that. so i plopped my stuff on another drive and denied system access to my stuffs. that is assuming the system respects my security settings. i have my doubts though. my general rule of thumb is to use as little of the system as possible that includes the pre defined locations windows gives users for their data. anything that needs to be in there just gets a junction point instead.

generally speaking i dont really notice any differences other than a few things ms decided to rename so they can make it people pay out egregious sums for recerts. its rather amazing to consider how little actually changes from windows to windows. once you got classic shell installed its not much different.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 October 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#5 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:07 AM

Makes you appreciate Windows 98, lol

#6 Odin Gunterson

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLa Florida

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:41 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 October 2018 - 05:28 AM, said:

Maybe I'm a little bit late, you could try for other Windows Operative Systems the DriverPack Online.
https://drp.su/en

It gives you the newest drivers from their databases for your hardware.

Tell us how it goes.

Cheers

#7 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:46 AM

the other lesson is never click on anything

I don't have windows 98 but I do have my windows 95 machine sitting on the floor

maybe I could get it going again and play all those game I still have

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:27 AM

turns out windows 10 isnt all that bad once you get classic shell installed and automatic updates disabled.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

As an IT support persion working in a company mostly using Windows 10 I have a few frustrations with it.
from a usability standpoint I much preferred Windows 7, it was so much simpler and more logical.
10 is more secure so we moved to that, the problem is the updates tend to make it a bit too secure, yes disabling all network connectivity for certain models of tablet and laptops with the 1809 update was great for preventing people from accessing dangerous sites but as it also prevented them from using the computer for minor work related stuff like accessing web based applications they need, accessing network shares (preventing them from accessing/saving their work), preventing feild based persionell from downloading their days work and preventing people from accessing their emails so I considered that a bit too secure.

for me the worst parts about Windows 10 are:
1) that the computer I built earlier this year had to have 10 on it because it was almost impossible to find current hardware that had drivers for 7
2) the insistance on moving/hiding/changing menu items and where settings are located and what they are called with each major update
3) that every few months that Edge thing keeps resetting itself to your default for web browsing, emails and PDFs, it would not be so bad if it was not so far inferior to mature browsers like Firefox and Chrome, real email clients and PDF readers while not offering the advantages of IE like opening sites that do not like the standard compliant browsers
4) that they reset your privicy settings every month or two and falsely inform you it is company policy to send everything to MS
5) that it will restart to do updates with little or no warning
6) that each major update seemes to break something, last time it was the ability to connect to the HP plotters the company uses, this time it is all network settings on the models of laptop and tablet that the company uses (although fortunately we "only" had about 40 machines get the update this time so we sent out replacements and reimated those 40 or so, unfortunately it is company policy that it is not worth testing updates and we just roll them straight out even after repeted cases like this, fortunately desktops were unaffected).

7)That time M$ decided to force any computers to do the update from Windows 7 to 10 without much warning, literaly I was working as an IT contractor at the time and over the course of about 2 weeks I had to roll back about 40 computers from 10 to 7, in many cases it happened while people were working on the computer and did not even give them the option to save, in most cases something important was not available, e.g. the wired or wireless network, graphics or sound driver did not exist

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:30 PM

i think i wasted 3 hours tonight trying to pxe boot (turns out none of the dvd drives in the house are functional) an old computer with a linux live distro so i could see what was on some old hard drives. after messing with boot scripts all day i found out that the problem was windows side. go figure windows 10 had disabled one of the protocols needed to pxe boot linux. then i spent a half hour reverting script changes i made because i thought the problem was at my end. and it worked. 15 minutes later i found that the drives contained no useful data and deleted the partitions.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 October 2018 - 11:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users