Boiler Supernova Build Test

19 replies to this topic

#1 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:40 AM

I've got a bit of a request. Would anyone care to try this build for me? Skills are up to you but everything else has to be the same, and you may swap head gauss ammo for Beagle Active Probe or Targeting Computer MkI considering Gauss Ammo is relatively slow to expend.
I am not interested in hearing if you think it is good or not or anything like that, I want someone to test it for a bit and then tell me what IT WAS like for them, how they did and what they found to be good and bad about it.
Thanks in advance :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ca0b35d385cd590

Edited by Acersecomic, 14 October 2018 - 06:43 AM.

#2 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:11 AM

No one? Come on, does anyone here have the Boiler?

#3 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:34 AM

Eh, there's really no reason to use the Boiler... the Mad Cat MKII MCII-2 would do any ballistic / missile / energy built better, because it can take a bigger engine and has better hardpoints.

Besides, Gauss + SRM isn't a great idea, they have very different optimal ranges.

#4 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 16 October 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

Eh, there's really no reason to use the Boiler... the Mad Cat MKII MCII-2 would do any ballistic / missile / energy built better, because it can take a bigger engine and has better hardpoints.

Besides, Gauss + SRM isn't a great idea, they have very different optimal ranges.

Let me quote myself.

View PostAcersecomic, on 14 October 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

I am not interested in hearing if you think it is good or not or anything like that, I want someone to test it for a bit and then tell me what IT WAS like for them, how they did and what they found to be good and bad about it.

#5 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

Oh I read that, I was just letting you know why nobody was going to try a sub-par build and let you know that it's not very good.

#6 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

You know you can take into the testing grounds without even buying it now? They added button for you to do that. So you can get a feel for it.

#7 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 11:27 AM.

#8 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:28 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 16 October 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

You know you can take into the testing grounds without even buying it now? They added button for you to do that. So you can get a feel for it.

I know but static targets do nothing to tell you how a build actually performs in battle.

View PostThroe, on 16 October 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

You can't honestly post a build for any 'Mech and expect no one to give you any feedback about your build. With so much of this game won and lost in the 'Mechlab, its very obvious when a build isn't up to par, for experienced players. Further, the Boiler itself is currently a sub-par platform, as previously stated. Getting upset when people offer such advice is silly, especially considering the subforum you're posting in. It doesn't matter if you asked for it or not.

That said, I can take this build out later today, fully skilled, and I'll let you know how it feels to me. I already don't like my Boiler much though, so expect a somewhat biased opinion.

I knew people would criticise, that is why I explicitly said I do not want such comments.
I really despise meta and people who ride it like meta is a sacred text. I am not above going with a meta build but I am not gonna ignore the fun of building and playing a variation of builds and mechs just because someone calls it subpar.
I like how Supernova looks like. That's all there is to it. And I like running odd builds. It is not about something being "weaker" compared to MadCat. In fact, lower engine gives me more to play around with, 58 is not bad for a 90 ton mech.
And thanks for giving it a try. I know the results will depend a bit on your playstyle as well but that's ok. I tend to play agressively in everything.

#9 i m not sharing my armor for you

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:28 AM

the Problem of this build(tried it out about 5 weeks before) is to come in range to be effective, when you are in range i think it run a bit to hot, and you cannot win a Close combat fight to someone who knows to torsotwist and know your weakpoints, like torsi and legs at assaults i give always a try to leg them and with a mediate Alpha your legarmor is gone , as a longrange DD it has to low damageoutput. I miss one or two jumpjets.

#10 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#11 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostThroe, on 17 October 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

It's worth mentioning that one of the mini-games in the Academy does have 'Mechs that move. Admittedly, they move straight toward you, but they do return fire, and they gradually get stronger and stronger with each wave. It really isn't a bad place to test a 'Mech's damage output and static survivability.

On the other hand, if you want to see how well it handles, and practice driving it(which is also important), there's another mini-game in the Academy that has you driving around a semi-flexible course, hitting smoke objectives, and encouraging you to damage the static opponents that you see in order to stop them from shooting at you temporarily.

And you can take a non-bought mech into that Academy thing?
P.S. Good luck in Solaris.

Edited by Acersecomic, 17 October 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#12 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

I like the Boiler. My build is 2 SRM-6s,2 LBX-2s,2 ERMLs,one LRM-15 and an ERLL. I use 2 JJs,1 TC2,an AMS,and a CAP. I like this build as a flanker/ support / fast attack/ base attacker/ capper.

#13 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 17 October 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

I like the Boiler. My build is 2 SRM-6s,2 LBX-2s,2 ERMLs,one LRM-15 and an ERLL. I use 2 JJs,1 TC2,an AMS,and a CAP. I like this build as a flanker/ support / fast attack/ base attacker/ capper.

Sounds like a very colorful build.
Could I bother you with asking you to swap your build up for this and give it a few spins and letting me.know how it went?

#14 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:10 PM

[deleted by user]

#15 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

[deleted by user]

#16 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:59 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#17 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:04 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#18 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:23 AM

Huh, unusual... I was able to slot everything both on Mobile Smurfy and ingame, wonder what's wrong. Will investigate.
Thanks for testing it out. In my head the build still works well but it refuses to apply to real situations. Thanks again.

#19 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

If you don't care for opinions on whether the build will be effective, and just play anti-effective builds for your own fun, why not just run it yourself?

Any experienced player can say with certainty, without having to build a mech and drop in it, that mixing Gauss and SRMs is going to be extremely awkward, due to the vastly different range profiles. It doesn't play at all in the mid-range, at by the time you are in SRM range, you're better off with autocannons.

It's not a new idea, so I can tell you exactly how it will work in the field.

#20 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

LBX10 or LBX20 will be interesting options. Considering the poor hardpoints, I'd vouch for taking double LBX10 for the extended range, paired with ATMs and ERML or MPL.

SRMs would work well with LBX20. The weapons sync good. If you go that way, I'd take 3 SPL with it for pinpoint component destruction. However, at this close range, you'll loose side-torso's in a blink.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users