As The Player Base Shrinks, Game Is Unplayable

30 replies to this topic

#1 Phlynn

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

If your play style involves anything except shooting mechs in the back, you are now in the minority. And the higher tier you fight in, the more likely the guy next to you got his rank by shooting others in the back and has only a single play style.

Shouldn't have to create an alt account to fight at a lower tier to get some decent fights.

#2 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:29 PM

View PostPhlynn, on 18 October 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

If your play style involves anything except shooting mechs in the back, you are now in the minority. And the higher tier you fight in, the more likely the guy next to you got his rank by shooting others in the back and has only a single play style.

Shouldn't have to create an alt account to fight at a lower tier to get some decent fights.

I don't share that sentiment at all. I do however believe that the tiers need some re-working...

#3 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:12 PM

One problem I see is that statwhores willingly rushing in front of your firing zone just so they can grab the kill instead. No surprise that irated players won't stop firing.

#4 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

Thats mostly people not understanding how to echelon.

average match score is way less risky to ***** than KD.

#5 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:23 PM

View PostPhlynn, on 18 October 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

What your playstyle ?

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:37 PM

the game has way too many buckets for how few players it has.

they need to get rid of some gamemodes. getting rid of solaris would be a good start.

#7 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:24 AM

The problem of this game is low population, yes.. but also PGI's unwillingness to change this.. truly change it..

In my humble opinion, a grave mistake was made when the game was geared towards Esports, instead of Faction play.

At this point, literally nothing other than a full Faction Play rework and investing heavy duty finances into marketing can bring players back.. And only higher player numbers can kick this game back to life.

So no, I doesn't matter what playstyle you use..

#8 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:32 AM

Only a new leading Dev Team or Holder of the Company can bring new ideas in this game and solutions ...the Greatest problem ist the Management...No Managment thats have Experience and Know How , no Teams thats can bring realistic Solutions for a realistic Timeline and a realistic Way for a product..so only unrelistic ideas , with Teams thats have not the right experience and manpower for Solutions = more People with experience leave the company= more Problems and bad Solutions and unrealistic Timelines and ideas

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 19 October 2018 - 12:34 AM.

#9 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:34 AM

It's all short term thinking. Develop new mechs, sell a few mech packs, profit. The problem is that players will keep leaving the game if they never fix faction play.

Edit: maybe that was harsh. I'll give them credit for adding Solaris, but the game still desperately needs a rework of faction play. Let's see what they announce at MechCon.

Edited by Deepfryer, 19 October 2018 - 12:40 AM.

#10 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:54 AM

all that solaris added where another 7 buckets,
whilst the number of players was already dwindling significantly.
my unit has 140+ members, but not more than 20 are playing constantly and more than half being dormant for more than half a year.
pgi did too little, too late. (if anything at all)
(can't help, but reminds me of intel these days)

#11 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:39 AM

I encounter more people trying to stare others down than players trying to go for back shots... Then again, if someone's lacking the awareness, I'll take a free kill by shooting them in the back, I guess.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:38 AM

I shot a lurm boat in the back with my Scorch last night, felt good man. He didn't move so I shot him again, and the poor fellow went to pieces :(

FP should be heavily incentivised, QP should really just be a demo mode. When you look at MOBAs their matches tend to last 15-25 minutes so it's reasonable to assume players would invest time in FP if they had no choice.

Edited by RickySpanish, 19 October 2018 - 03:38 AM.

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:30 AM

All I play regularly is GQ (caveat: tried to play Solaris both solo and with a friend the other night and only had a few mechs built properly for like three divisions and the result was not pretty; but I digress), and all I have noted of late, which I presume is a consequence of the drop in player numbers overall, is that there are a few more competitive folks and a few more CW regulars now playing the queue, and as a result our typical “brawl, regardless” style of play meets with lopsided disaster a bit more frequently than it used to. A bit more meta mechs and builds and more effective poke from enemies, but that’s about it.

Wait times during NA prime time, on all nights still seems about the same (occasionally slightly worse if you are running in a group with odd numbers), with average wait times of perhaps 30 seconds and only very rarely over a minute. No increase in noobery (other than our own). Still most evenings will be the same dozen or so groups mixing and matching through an evening with an occasional large group turning up now and again.

#14 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:55 AM

For some reason I can’t help but think the OP might be complaining more because he keeps getting shot in the back by members the other team...because he lacks combat awareness.

(checks Jarl’s list).....yep....lack of combat awareness confirmed.

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 19 October 2018 - 04:57 AM.

#15 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:01 AM

Playing in QP, I see nearly every match NASCARing,leaving the Assaults behind, hardly anyone going to the call for help. And as stated before, others standing next to assaults who are battling the enemy and then step in front of the guy to take the easy kill from him. NOT COOL! Posted Image
It got so bad I just said F it! I'm gonna keep firing as I am tired of the childish lazy attitude about team work and enemy kills.

Another thing is, I see the team spread out all over the map and where is the enemy? Grouped together and mowing down each mech one at a time for an easy win. Playing in tier 1 and 2, you would think by this level a mech pilot would now NOT to play that way. But no...

Sigh.

#16 Gloris

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:03 AM

In my oppinion with how small the playerbase got some of the queues have to go. Maybe Solaris. Or maybe faction play and then every other weekend we get a faction play weekend with rewards or something like that.

Also i woud LOVE to see 2 man Teams allowed in solo Q.
I tried getting multiple of my friends into the game to play with me, some were interested, one downloaded right away, when we tried to queue as a 2 Man the Group-Q waiting time for our 2man was HORRIBLE. like over 5 minutes. He quit the game soon after.

This is really bad, since there is not really a big point in bringing your friend to MWO if you can't play with your friends (unless you get a big enough group) Posted Image

Edited by Gloris, 19 October 2018 - 05:03 AM.

#17 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:24 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 19 October 2018 - 12:32 AM, said:

Only a new leading Dev Team or Holder of the Company can bring new ideas in this game and solutions ...the Greatest problem ist the Management...No Managment thats have Experience and Know How , no Teams thats can bring realistic Solutions for a realistic Timeline and a realistic Way for a product..so only unrelistic ideas , with Teams thats have not the right experience and manpower for Solutions = more People with experience leave the company= more Problems and bad Solutions and unrealistic Timelines and ideas

Well said. Leadership is BE, KNOW and DO...... and, I surely don't see any of this from PGI.... They've never even communicated with their customer base directly..... When was the last time you received an email from PGI asking for you quality input? In other games I play, I get emails doing just that and they get specific sometimes when changes are considered.... !!! They communicate with the customer..... They directly involve the customer......

Here again, If I were Leading this carnival, the first thing I'd institute is a customer service process that communicates with the players and we'd start marketing to the gaming publications and sites.... We'd start all over. E-Sports would go: it's non-value added. The serious discussions about "where we are in terms of balance" and "Value Proposition", which is what we are in business to accomplish, would start, real-time every night for those who want to participate. Universities use these techniques for on-line classes and those technologies are simple to use.....

Good grief. This IP has a lot of value.....a super small niche market with decades of history..... To get those dispossessed players back, we have to "BE" that game we were supposed to be.... We would have to KNOW why that Universe and game within it is the way it is and accept that dichotomy and start the process of "doing" the dirty work of re-building the in-game mechanics, maps, modes and mechs themselves to "be" that game.... It would a far more dangerous place than it is now but a lot easier to start playing and a lot harder to claim "GuD." It could be done. But, on;y Leadership can make radical change. Management always leads to more reason why not to take a chance.....

#18 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:22 AM

View PostApolloKaras, on 18 October 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

I don't share that sentiment at all. I do however believe that the tiers need some re-working...

The problem is PSR. Given enough time even someone "bad" will be carried to T1 on the back of others because a loss hardly matters

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:27 AM

View PostKhobai, on 18 October 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

the game has way too many buckets for how few players it has.

they need to get rid of some gamemodes. getting rid of solaris would be a good start.

I'd rather PGI found a good way to get rid of the original filler: Quick Play.

Community Warfare was supposed to be THE GAME!

View PostGloris, on 19 October 2018 - 05:03 AM, said:

In my oppinion with how small the playerbase got some of the queues have to go … Or maybe faction play …

No.

View PostGloris, on 19 October 2018 - 05:03 AM, said:

Also i woud LOVE to see 2 man Teams allowed in solo Q.

Hell no! That will be a very fatal change.

Edited by Mystere, 19 October 2018 - 08:35 AM.

#20 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 19 October 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

The problem is PSR. Given enough time even someone "bad" will be carried to T1 on the back of others because a loss hardly matters

This is a massive problem for the game that people tend not to talk much about. On a good day I'm a bottom end Tier 2 player. Maybe. On an average day I feel like I'm squarely in Tier 3 for performance. Yet I'm in Tier 1 due to the experience bar system, and a LOT of streamers are in the same situation where they play the game a ton, thus they are Tier 1 somehow. This holds true for a vast percentage of other fellow gamers that drop into a match.

Everyone needs to have their Tier reset to 5 and a new, harsher system needs to be put into place that puts true emphasis on personal performance and victory of the match for eventually placing the player according to their real skill. I have no clue as to why PGI won't do this - a massive number of players would return just to be a part of placing their accounts according to the new system and enjoying matches again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users