8 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:18 AM

After many days of trying to find out if i want a laptop or a desktop i went desktop
just for MWO. I have been using a crappy laptop for years now and i just bought my desktop

It should run MWO way better than my potato laptop did. And this is the first desktop i have owned so this is what it is. Nothing insane but it is expensive

HP PAVILLION Desktop
AMD Ryzen™5 2400 Processor, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Graphics Card with 2GB GDDR5 Dedicated Memory

i got the bundle which came with Monitor, tower, keyboard, mouse, headphones etc[/color]
Think its got 1 TB Harddrive. So not bad for my first real Setup. Im just hoping this is enough to play MWO on a decent level. Considering the price.[/color]

And i have been posting stuff on the forums about this. But i was going for a gaming laptop then just said screw it if im gonna play mwo i might as well have a little more cpu.

Edited by FuzzyNova, 24 October 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

It should run mwo fine. My old gtx 660 video card was 2gb and managed 30-54 fps on solaris. Mwo is far more cpu intensive and a ryzen should kick mwo into the curb.For the money desktops usually are a lot more powerful than laptops as you're not paying to scale the hardware down.

#3 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 24 October 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

It should run mwo fine. My old gtx 660 video card was 2gb and managed 30-54 fps on solaris. Mwo is far more cpu intensive and a ryzen should kick mwo into the curb.For the money desktops usually are a lot more powerful than laptops as you're not paying to scale the hardware down.

Thanks man Thats my biggest worry is that MWO is not going to run good on it. So i went for an expensive desktop to make sure. I get it tommorow

#4 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:39 PM.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

it will play it fine just not on max settings without seeing slow downs during fights.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 24 October 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#6 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:28 PM

If you ask me, the notion of a "gaming laptop" is as ridiculous to me about as much as a Volvo with a gun rack..

If you want gaming, you get a desktop. Or a console.

Laptops are business computers..

#7 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:27 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 24 October 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

If you ask me, the notion of a "gaming laptop" is as ridiculous to me about as much as a Volvo with a gun rack..

If you want gaming, you get a desktop. Or a console.

Laptops are business computers..

"Gaming" Laptops have come a long way over the last several years, especially with the 10 series of Nvidia GTX cards. It used to be that laptop video cards shared the same naming conventions as desktop video cards, with completely different specs, but with the 10 series (and hopefully onwards) Nvidia has been able to place desktop chips into laptops, which basically allowed laptops to almost match desktop performance (within ~10%). Price of course is much higher for the ease of portability. Really, the only games that suffer on current gaming laptops are games like MWO, where it's so CPU bound that laptop i7's that boost to 3.8ghz are still choked vs desktop i5/i7/i9's that can boost past 4.5ghz+.

There are many gaming laptops that come with 144hz screens, and GTX 1070/1080 cards in them (pretty much full speed 1070/1080s). Of course, if you don't need the portability, then owning a desktop is a no-brainer, however there are many people out there that have laptops that are far better in specs/performance than a lot of MWO player's desktop rigs. Saying Laptops are business computers is like saying desktops are business computers because every office has a computer, and "gaming" should be limited to just consoles.

Edited by Vxheous, 25 October 2018 - 05:47 AM.

#8 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:30 AM

I'm having trouble finding infomration on the 'Sunflower' motherboard that this system uses apparently. I don't know if it's an A or B chipset and if the CPU can overclock.

That said the boost clock on the 2nd gen motherboards is apparently really good so it probabaly won't really matter.

RAM speeds is a bit slow at only 2666 but it could be worse I guess.

Still the system should run MWO at 1080p, not at max settings but decently enough. The 2GB on the 1050 is a bit on the low side if you max out texture quality.

You can always upgrade the system later since AMD is supporting the AM4 socket up to 2020. That most likely mean 7nm refresh 4th gen AMD CPUs should be supported unless they don't release new BIOS for the OEM motherboard they have in the system.

#9 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:33 AM

Upgrading vendor systems can be iffy ....the PSU is usually the bare minimum for the included components.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users