Other Mechs You’D Like To See Unique Quirks (Gh Or Otherwise) On.

62 replies to this topic

#41 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostSix-Pack, on 20 October 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

Seen this idea here on the forum: FNF-5 Heavy Gauss quirk that extends its optimal range without affecting the maximum range.

Yeah, more of dual heavy gauss crap which takes off half of a medium mech in one volley. So fun...

#42 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:16 AM

View PostKhobai, on 19 October 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Id like to see the thunderbolt (and any other mech with multi-track) get multi-track+1, which would be the ability to target two enemy mechs at once

That's an interesting idea.
I had also pondered this sort of ability for mechs but thought it might be a good option for missile launchers in more of a suppressing fire role. Has to tie in with the weapon groups somehow and add in a new targeting feature so not sure how practical it is.

Straight up weapon quirks are pretty easy but a little prone to creating power creep.

One quirk that I thought was an interesting addition was the sensor buff that came with the cyclops. It's the closest thing we have in the game to a commander sort of role with a mech by providing that buff to nearby team mates.
I feel there is room to explore that sort of thing a bit more with quirks that buff allies as well, particularly in non weapon related ways.

Quirks relating to nodes in the existing skill tree present some interesting options and there are quite a few there when you look at them.

Quirks relating to specific bits of equipment.
ie. ECM, MASC, Active Probes, Targeting computers, Stealth Armour.

What about quirks that enhance night or heat vision?
Quirks that lower a mech's heat signature or ultraviolet reflections?
Quirks like the environmental ones for the Nightgyr and Hellslinger (Battlemaster hero)?

#43 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:34 AM

not a unique quirk or anything, but i think it would be kinda neat if the centurion got significantly increased torso twist speed and something like +25 armor on its left arm, maybe a bit of armor on the left torso as well. the centurion pretty much exemplified the concept of shielding/damage spreading for me when i first started playing, and i'd like to see it excel at that again.

Edited by cougurt, 22 October 2018 - 02:35 AM.

#44 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:40 AM

-1 crit space on LBX20s for King Crabs so they can arm mount them like the KGC-005 can would be nice.

Also -100% hand actuators on the NSR-10P.

#45 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:11 AM

All Mechs buffs to stock builds, lose them for extreme customisation.

O.k I'd better expand on that.

Lets pick an old favourite of mine, the Victor, and we'll pic the reward Mech the 9A and and oldie (in game introduction) the 9B

The 9A gets big Mg buffs for Mg's in torso. It Gets a big AC20 buff if it's put in the arm, it gets zero general ballistic buffs if anything else is used in any other ballistic mount.

9B gets a lesser ac20 buff than the 9A but biggish srm buff.

Both models must carry at lest a single JJ to receive buffs.

If a Victor carries its stock load if JJ's (maximum) it gets a buff to allow it to actually jump properly, not hover.

obviously over buffed like the grid iron was in the past must be avoided.

also

Bigger buffs for Clan omni using stock pods.

This of course won't happen because it's to complex, for the average gamer, and will be very unpopular with min/max crowd.

However I feel this game was at it's most interesting when Mechs received specific buffs to their variant, and it's stock load out, rather than the bland dull general buffs mechs get now.

These were a big casualty of the skill tree, and a reason to have it redesigned yet again.

#46 takkom

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:04 AM

i want to see the heavy metal hero with a quirk that allows it to broadcast mic input.
cant kill sheep but yell at people.

also ostscout with 1 energy hardpoint and wallhack.

Edited by takkom, 22 October 2018 - 07:05 AM.

#47 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

View PostIdToaster, on 22 October 2018 - 02:40 AM, said:

-1 crit space on LBX20s for King Crabs so they can arm mount them like the KGC-005 can would be nice.

Also -100% hand actuators on the NSR-10P.

fixed that for you ;)

#48 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:12 PM

Shadow Cat unique Quirk: Gauss Rifle requires no charge-up.

Scat has to strip armor to carry the Gauss and 2 ER Mediums and this is the Prime configuration.

On Test Live they had the Gauss with no charge-up and it transforms the Shadow Cat into a whole new role. It's actual role in BattleTech I might add.

#49 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 22 October 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

Shadow Cat unique Quirk: Gauss Rifle requires no charge-up.

Scat has to strip armor to carry the Gauss and 2 ER Mediums and this is the Prime configuration.

On Test Live they had the Gauss with no charge-up and it transforms the Shadow Cat into a whole new role. It's actual role in BattleTech I might add.

I'd also like to see this on some assault mechs where the Gauss rifle is a primary weapon mounted in the arm. Like the Highlander (IS and Clan), the Victor, and the Warhawk. If it's only carrying a single gauss it's like it's meta breaking to allow it to snap shot.

#50 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 21 October 2018 - 03:24 AM, said:

I want to see more quirks that aren't directly related to shooting mechs.

For instance, give Commandos shorter detection range on enemy sensors to make them sneakier and more "commando"-like. Give Spiders a boost to jump jet forward velocity, so they can fly faster than they can run. Give the Rifleman and Jagers sensor bonuses for their giant radar antennas.

Yes.

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 21 October 2018 - 03:24 AM, said:

Give Spiders a boost to jump jet forward velocity, so they can fly faster than they can run.

OMFG YESSS!

#51 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:24 PM

We had unique mechs at one time. They were all nerfed into the ground. I see the same thing happening here.

Thats if you make the quirk worth using.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 23 October 2018 - 01:25 PM.

#52 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 23 October 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

We had unique mechs at one time. They were all nerfed into the ground. I see the same thing happening here.

Thats if you make the quirk worth using.

Actually, in the depths of my cynicism, this isn't far from what I expect to occur. In the effort to drive the c-bill sink that is the economy of nonstop change for its own sake (under the guise of "balance"), I wouldn't put it past PGI to return to the era of giga-quirks on select chassis to drive their sales, then a gradual pull back (again for the sake of "balance") and a return to near universal mediocrity and vanilification with inherently better mechs just being allowed to be better so as to complete the circle yet again. Then repeating the whole pattern for as long as they can drive sales that way. I mean its happened before so why not again? Plus they gotta do something to keep folks buying as long as they don't have the next funding stream in the form of MW5 out yet. Frankly, at this point I wouldn't even mind if they over buffed a couple of real stinkers to the level of the next meta mechs,at least they would be buffing, and it would be amusing for a while.

#53 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:30 PM

I'd also like to see component-specific weapon quirks. This can make traditionally undesirable hardpoints considerably more useful. For example, give Warhammers and Marauders a "PPC Cooling Jacket - Arms" quirk that reduces heat gen for PPCs in the arms. Give Cataphracts quirks for their extremely low arm hardpoints. Give quirks for missile hardpoints that increase the size of side torso hitboxes.

Also more quirks for non-weapon equipment. How about an Active Probe boost for scouts? Or a Targeting Computer boost? Or some kind of CASE quirk for mechs that come equipped with CASE in their default loadouts.

#54 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

BH2 should be able to fire gauss + 2 PPCs.

#55 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

How about a quirk that increases your optimal range on a specific weapon, but lowers the max range? Or conversely reduces your optimal, but increases maximum?

A new RAC quirk. Right now only velocity, range, and heat effect them. Though we have rarely seen ballistic heat reduction specifically. Perhaps an ROF quirk, with the downside of filling the bar a little faster. So those champions can go full on A10 Brrrttttt. Or a quirk that reduces RAC spin up time.

A min range reduction quirk? Or a quirk that adds a min range to a weapon that doesn't have it, but increases it's optimal range.

#56 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:31 PM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#57 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

I feel like my Banshees could use some love again. The 4 ballistic variant especially feels so meh now that we have so many other IS ballistic options that can usually do it better. Yeah let's take 5% off the 10% cooldown reduction. Come on PGI! Then they nerfed the hard point placement on the 3M. On the artwork we clearly see 4 lasers up on the shoulder PGI! Hip mounted energy points isn't what you sold me PGI! >: (

#58 Cazador88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

Supernovas need some love, or atleast the Supernova 3 to have the ability to fire 3 erlarges at the same time because those ct and head hardpoints are just begging for it.

#59 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:49 AM

I would love to see the Centurions get a boost to torso twist speed and shield arm armor. The shield arm is kind of the mech's entire gimmick. It was one of my first mechs back in the day and I still habitually shield with my left side in pretty much every mech to this day — sometimes even going so far as to build my mechs with a right side bias so that I can effectively shield with the left. But after the engine changes the Centurion doesn't torso twist as fast as it used to so shielding is less effective, which is really hurting the mech because it lives and dies on speed and damage spreading, and currently it only has one of those two things going for it.

Edited by Mister Maf, 25 October 2018 - 12:59 AM.

#60 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:13 AM

Oh since PGI is introducing unique quirks maybe CN9-D will have some of that beefy LBx10 love back? :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users