Fafnir's Hitbox Is Atrocious

72 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:17 AM

So i just bought Fafnir with CBills, man it's a good thing i didn't waste real money on this thing.

You'd think that with side-torso like those, it'd come with ST quirks and hard to hit CT, well wrong. It has a really wide profile, compared to the Anni, side-peeking is quite a bee, and it's even problematic because you have to expose yourself completely to get your arm weapons to clear.

It has +22 CT quirk, and the CT is actually easy to hit on top of already easy to hit side torso. It would have made sense to have the CT really thin with the STs given immense quirks.

I honestly see Anni to be a better choice if it weren't for ECM and the cockpit-level mount. Even so, it doesn't really have the speed to quickly engage so it's not really a big plus compared to Anni that can tank better damage.

But that's just my thoughts.

#2 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:24 AM

Just hit cbills so they have to hit it with a 33% armor quirk nerf Posted Image I think this will be one of the mechs i skip buying.

I hate owning assaults I have to hind in the back with to be able to use.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 20 October 2018 - 12:24 AM.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:26 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 20 October 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

So i just bought Fafnir with CBills, man it's a good thing i didn't waste real money on this thing.

You'd think that with side-torso like those, it'd come with ST quirks and hard to hit CT, well wrong. It has a really wide profile, compared to the Anni, side-peeking is quite a bee, and it's even problematic because you have to expose yourself completely to get your arm weapons to clear.

It has +22 CT quirk, and the CT is actually easy to hit on top of already easy to hit side torso. It would have made sense to have the CT really thin with the STs given immense quirks.

I honestly see Anni to be a better choice if it weren't for ECM and the cockpit-level mount. Even so, it doesn't really have the speed to quickly engage so it's not really a big plus compared to Anni that can tank better damage.

Anni armor quirks are even more nerfed than the Fatnir. I removed most of my Annis from FP lineup.

#4 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:43 AM

What did you expect….? Fafnir is now released for C-Bills and Pgi nerfd it, nothing new and nothing to see here… Posted Image

#5 Anastasius Foht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:14 AM

MWO now is League of Legends, release op Mech/Hero for real money, nerf it when release for all.

#6 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:20 AM

Fafnir is my best assault, 1k damage and 3.4 kills per match average

Posted Image

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:49 AM

I'm surprised you didn't know this already. The hilarious size of it's CT has been a topic of discussion from day one. Even when it had maximum armor quirks, the Fafnir's strongest defensive bonus was that the average player can't aim for crap. If they could, the Fafnir would be nearly unusable.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:35 AM

View PostAnastasius Foht, on 20 October 2018 - 03:14 AM, said:

MWO now is League of Legends, release op Mech/Hero for real money, nerf it when release for all.

It is better for PGI to release better than average mechs rather than lower than average mechs, since releasing a perfectly balanced mech without hundreds of players playing it first is very hard in the first place.

#9 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:39 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 October 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

It is better for PGI to release better than average mechs rather than lower than average mechs, since releasing a perfectly balanced mech without hundreds of players playing it first is very hard in the first place.

And when they release a less than average mech, I refund it during the countdown. Others do as well. Money drives decisions, they have to pay the salaries somehow.

#10 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

Since when did the Fafnir become a bad mech. What are you guys smoking?
It suffered a whopping net loss of 13.2 hp. Oh my god the tragedy. That’s like a small laser on the nose.

#11 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2018 - 05:49 AM, said:

I'm surprised you didn't know this already. The hilarious size of it's CT has been a topic of discussion from day one. Even when it had maximum armor quirks, the Fafnir's strongest defensive bonus was that the average player can't aim for crap. If they could, the Fafnir would be nearly unusable.

Interesting, it’s almost like they made it like the STs would survive better. I wonder why that is? How many threads prior to it launching were crying ”Fafnir DOA! Massive Side torsos, nope. Look at that model, no way.” Lmao comments on the thread are hilarious with how truly whiny they are coming off as. Right on par for the course though for this games population base. So what a lot of mechs, esp Clan mechs die from CT loss. What would you prefer, that it dies from getting shot in the pinky toe? Nm you’d prefer that it whipes half the enemy Opfor and still have 90% armor

Edited by Jackal Noble, 20 October 2018 - 08:43 AM.

#12 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 20 October 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

Interesting, it’s almost like they made it like the STs would survive better. I wonder why that is? How many threads prior to it launching were crying ”Fafnir DOA! Massive Side torsos, nope. Look at that model, no way.” Lmao comments on the thread are hilarious with how truly whiny they are coming off as. Right on par for the course though for this games population base. So what a lot of mechs, esp Clan mechs die from CT loss. What would you prefer, that it does from getting shot in the pinky toe? Nm you’d prefer that it whites half the enemy Opfor and still have 90% armor

...I feel like maybe you need to find a friend to vent to, rather than crapping on random people on the internet.

#13 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:45 AM

I really don’t want to, but I will go through the archive and dredge up multiple threads whining about it’s side toros

#14 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 20 October 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

I really don’t want to, but I will go through the archive and dredge up multiple threads whining about it’s side toros

Don't trouble yourself, I know they exist. I probably posted in them. I just think maybe you have some residual anger you should talk out instead of jumping on people.

#15 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:53 AM

God forbid a 100 ton assault 'mech that can shear off a couple tons of armor in a single salvo is an easy target...

I'm sorry but that's what you're in for when you pilot a building.

#16 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:02 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

...I feel like maybe you need to find a friend to vent to, rather than crapping on random people on the internet.

No I’m good. Just giving my two cents. Is that allowed or no?
Am I suppose to just bend like a reed when others say things I don’t adhere to, or find flawed logic in.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:03 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 20 October 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

Welp, give me a second to tell you about the Stalker... and I promise you'll see the point I'm going to make about the Fafnir.
Posted Image

the Stalker is incredibly tanky with or without quirks.
For years since its inception into the game in 2012, the Stalker with a standard engine can take more abuse than literally any 100 ton mech, in terms of overall damage dealt. This is because 60% of all damage to a destroyed side torso is thrown into the void to never affect the mech, while only the remaining 40% transfers.

Hit by 40 damage to the side torso after its blown off? Only 16 damaged received to the CT.

As such, the Fafnir is perhaps the tankiest 100 ton mech in the game...provided you're using a STANDARD engine. LFE...well that's just your problem. XL? Again your problem.

The real question is this: Is there a variant with CT hardpoints? If so, that's the one to go with. If not, welp...

Maybe you can pull this off in a 1 versus 5. Versus (fresh) LRM Catapult, (fresh) Banshee, (fresh, but helped with) Firestarter, Atlas (battered) and a Jagermech (Caught off guard). March 2014.
Posted Image
The Jager I caught on his own, and later the rest so technically it was only 4 on 1, and you could say the momentary distraction the Firestarter got from someone showing up (and dying) is what allowed me to get rid of the Banshee and the LRM Catapult peppering me from the distance, before leaving me to deal with the Firestarter with only an Autocannon 5 to my name.

Posted Image
On the day of the achievement's patch.

Anyway, my point is... huge side torsos on long mechs can prove to be an additional layer of armor.
Its also a problem... but there in rests the question, better survivability comes at the cost of easily losing huge stashes of weapons...is it worth it?

Posted Image

That's a question only the user can decide.

Its a shame the arms aren't bigger at the shoulders. Then that 40 damage alpha could be reduced to 6.4 damage if it hits just right through the use of torso twisting.

Then again, the Stalker's arms are stubs too, and it was able to do this
this..
These (also skip to 8:20 for the second epic brawl)
And this one completely solo
And this in a group queue

Because flamer stalker.

Edited by Koniving, 20 October 2018 - 09:13 AM.

#18 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:03 AM

I didn’t crap on you Bomb, I was just giving you ****. There’s a difference :-p

#19 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:07 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 20 October 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

No I’m good. Just giving my two cents. Is that allowed or no?
Am I suppose to just bend like a reed when others say things I don’t adhere to, or find flawed logic in.

I dunno, it felt more like a attack on people than an attack on a position.

All I said was that the CT is huge (You can hit is from 200+ degrees) and anyone who can shoot straight can smash the Fafnir to bits without much trouble. And you responded with a rant about a discussion that happened months ago prior to the mechs release that you didn't even know if I was a part of.

Edited by Bombast, 20 October 2018 - 09:13 AM.

#20 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:08 AM

Sometimes a mech is bad, sometimes the pilot and the mech don't synergize. The difference is, no one does well in bad mechs.

My suggestion is to either learn to use the mech for it's strengths, or don't and sell it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users