Raven/timberwolf/highlander

48 replies to this topic

#41 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:29 PM

View PostBombast, on 22 October 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

You wont, because you're absolutely wrong. The only reason the Urbanmech got into this game was through fan effort because it was popular. That along blows any argument that MWO made the Urbanmech popular or iconic out of the water.

Your arguments basically boil down to 'Well it wasn't iconic or popular as far as I knew before MWO.' Well, I'm afraid it was popular before MWO no matter what your personal experience was, and it's still not iconic of anything afterwards. I don't know what else to tell you.

Its my opinion, and its not possible to hold a false or wrong opinion. I am not going to regress to "hur dur no you are wrong". I am more than willing to let you have your conflicting opinion, but I know the propensity people have in always needing to be right. It is my opinion that the Urbie bacame the most iconic mech for MWO (THANKS TO power, popularity, appearance, # of hero, special, and loyalty variants) and it is largely irrelevant (although amusing) in the TT. NOT iconic in MWO today thanks to the TT. Don't know what else to tell you

The only reason any mech gets added to MWO is based on popularity. I recall all the twitter and forum posts requesting the Fafnir before it got added. Not sure why thats supposed to be dismissive

Also you shouldn't put words in people's mouths because you have no idea what their experience is, but if you really want to know, I found Battletech at a gaming con in the late 90s and played irregularly since

Edited by Gristle Missile, 22 October 2018 - 02:00 PM.

#42 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

The Timberwolf was built around having a big engine and having good mobility. But since they purposely gave it bad agility. It can't really take advantage of what it devoted so much weight to. So while I wouldn't say buff it up to what it was before. Even I can agree it could use a touch of more agility.

I almost never see Highlanders. Occasional Ravens. I feel like a lot of mechs could use a review for new quirks.

#43 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 October 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

When did it need to twist? You only need to turn about 35 degrees in either direction to spread damage. Less if they're aiming along your top, the only time to worry is if they're going straight for the nose/underbelly. Those others need to twist up to 90 degrees to pull off the same spread of damage.

I know its not quite a stalker (if they hit the CT, just twist 9 degrees), but it certainly isn't like most mechs that can't survive without twisting. In my vids I don't even bother twisting with the Timber Wolf, there wasn't any need to. In fact if they focus on the nose cone, tilt the mech down, it then hits the cockpit instead. You can actually use the cockpit (briefly) to protect the CT in an emergency. How many mechs can pull that off?

....Aside from the Locust -- which has a better chance of surviving if you get hit in the cockpit than the side torso.

(Okay to be fair those others need to twist a minimum of 70 degrees; almost twice as far as the Timber Wolf. Linebacker even after twisting 90 degrees can still be hit CT via the nose.)
Posted Image

And anybody with a brain isn't going for the torso; they're going for the pelvis.

In truth, no amount of torso twisting is gonna save a player from enemy fire if they have any idea of what they're doing.
Posted Image

Aim for the nuts, go for the kill.

At the very least, Timber Wolf's arms can protect the groin. Most mechs can't even pull that off.

The nose wiggle doesnt protect the timberwolf much in live game atm, and I only mentioned the linebacker because it has really good accel/decel which allows it to peek/poke far better in comparison. The Timber will take damage EVERY single poke now, Hellbringers can achieve free trades in comparison. Its not that the Timber can't be played, its that it exposes too much/too long for the trade to happen. With the amount of clan heavies in the game now, there's a better clan mech to fill a role as compared to the sluggish Timber now. While the Timber can remain a jack if all trades type mech, it doesnt really fulfill any role well. If it did, you'd see it still played in comp.

Edited by Vxheous, 22 October 2018 - 04:57 PM.

#44 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:22 PM

Strange that no one mentioned the awesome in 3 pages.

#45 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Mechs should not be balanced based on iconic status.

But they should be balanced based on....... I dunno against the rest of the mechs? lol

#46 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 22 October 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

Strange that no one mentioned the awesome in 3 pages.

It an old, popular mech, but it's not iconic.

View PostApolloKaras, on 22 October 2018 - 05:40 PM, said:

But they should be balanced based on....... I dunno against the rest of the mechs? lol

Yes, but that's a different conversation.

#47 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

View PostBombast, on 22 October 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

It an old, popular mech, but it's not iconic.

It was on the mrch commander desperate measures cover! That makes it iconic nyeh nyeh

#48 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 22 October 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

It was on the mrch commander desperate measures cover! That makes it iconic nyeh nyeh

Posted Image

#49 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

Considering the Highlander, Timber Wolf, Stalker and many others had their time in the meta, I think we'll be fine moving on. The only way you can save bad Mechs is with insane mega-quirks, but even with what the Orion, Orion IIC and Vindicator have, you rarely see them outside of lower Solaris divisions.

This game has a ton of outright BAD Mechs and BAD variants; easily over 70% of the Mechs in the store are GARBAGE. Trying to make even 50% of them "good" or "meta-viable" when the balance is constantly shifting is a Sisyphean task.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users