78 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

Ever since I had gotten a new PC and started following the norm of using noobbringers or other mechs capable of putting 2 HLL and 3 HML/3ERML every game has been so much easier! I only need to hide and find a spot to spend 62 damage and let my team do the tanking, If I take fire I just have to go back in and torso twist. Even if here's always going to be that unlucky game where your team manages to die too quickly or you don't have freelobox to protect from the massive lrm-poo flinging, there's always a chance to score double or triple because of the laspuke that seems to never get punished.

Is it my new PC or is it the clan tech?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:44 PM

In many cases yes, though there are some exceptions.

IMO Clans are easier for:
A. Using lasers
B. Using PPCs
C. Using something above the light class in general (because you can just slap CXL in everything and don't have to make LFE sacrifices like the IS does)

IS is easier for:
A. Missiles (MRMs are so much more enjoyable to use than gimmicky autoaim missiles that Clans are mostly dependent on)
B. Lights (IS has some durability quirked lights like the Wolfie and Urbie that can afford to make more mistakes than any Clan light)
C. Some specific chassis with strong defensive quirks (i.e. pre-nerf Bushwacker)

#3 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:46 PM

Makes lasers easier sure.

But if you give up on IS you lose out on heavy gauss, single shot AC20s and better SRMs.

#4 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 20 October 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

Ever since I had gotten a new PC and started following the norm of using noobbringers or other mechs capable of putting 2 HLL and 3 HML/3ERML every game has been so much easier! I only need to hide and find a spot to spend 62 damage and let my team do the tanking, If I take fire I just have to go back in and torso twist. Even if here's always going to be that unlucky game where your team manages to die too quickly or you don't have freelobox to protect from the massive lrm-poo flinging, there's always a chance to score double or triple because of the laspuke that seems to never get punished.

Is it my new PC or is it the clan tech?

clam is easy mode thread #8763245876

your 2HLL3HML does that 62 damage at what? 300m? with like 1.5 second burn time, with poor armour

at that range dual heavy gauss is king

#5 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 20 October 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

clam is easy mode thread #8763245876

your 2HLL3HML does that 62 damage at what? 300m? with like 1.5 second burn time, with poor armour

Yep, so hard the life of these clan mechs, apparently they cannot outflank a 48 kph fafnir or whatever dual hgr mech is present, with their 81 kph or slightly lower with a marauder IIC.

Poor clanners, so underpowered.

#6 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:19 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 20 October 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

That's why you go for the torsos with the HLL at 450m, HL's don't explode whereas hgauss explodes and you instantly lose your main damage along with more of your torso. The mechs that have hgauss have huge hit-boxes unless you use cyclopians or annihilators. HGauss always does well when you have a team to go with, because spread damage and no one wants to walk into a force of 3 annihilators with hgauss. 2 HGauss is always outperformed by LBX10 because of the range and crit damage.

The benefits of the laservomit is way more than a 54 kph building with only 50 damage that has to be charged. I.S has access to only 2 hgauss mechs while clan has access to 3 drops worth.

Edited by Armored Yokai, 20 October 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#7 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

View PostMrXanthios, on 20 October 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

Yep, so hard the life of these clan mechs, apparently they cannot outflank a 48 kph fafnir or whatever dual hgr mech is present, with their 81 kph or slightly lower with a marauder IIC.

Said like there is some kind of limitation on the amount of heavy gauss that will be present. Try outflanking 4 dual heavy gauss assaults who can aim for example.

#8 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:34 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 20 October 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

I.S has access to only 2 hgauss mechs

Dual heavy gauss mechs include Fafnirs, Annis, Nightstars, Sleipnirs and Maraulers

Then you have the dozens that can rock a single one with other weapons... 2 seems a little low, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying here.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 20 October 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#9 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 20 October 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

Said like there is some kind of limitation on the amount of heavy gauss that will be present. Try outflanking 4 dual heavy gauss assaults who can aim for example.

But your statement is based on the assumption there's any cohesion in the team, which I think is safe to say happens only in big groups playing FP, and since group QP is limited in tonnage, I doubt you will see many dual hgr in a big group. Most of the game population plays solo q, though, and dual hgr, unless your team is fantastic and enemy team sucks balls, it is very hard to play effectively.

#10 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostMrXanthios, on 20 October 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

But your statement is based on the assumption there's any cohesion in the team, which I think is safe to say happens only in big groups playing FP, and since group QP is limited in tonnage, I doubt you will see many dual hgr in a big group. Most of the game population plays solo q, though, and dual hgr, unless your team is fantastic and enemy team sucks balls, it is very hard to play effectively.

Well you just shifted the goalpost on me there, I was just pointing out that the potentials go far beyond having to sneak up on a single fafnir, but sure I agree with the sentiment.

#11 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostMrXanthios, on 20 October 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

Poor clanners, so underpowered.

I didn't say their life is hard or underpowered, please learn to read

#12 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

With very few exception Clanker tech is easy mode.

#13 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 20 October 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Dual heavy gauss mechs include ... Marauders

Are you sure? Posted Image

#14 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:03 PM

Dual heavy gauss mechs include and Marauders

New Dual HGR Marauder variant confirmed???

#15 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 October 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

Are you sure? Posted Image

Yes? Unless I am mixing up my mechs again... So I guess no then, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure. Posted Image

Edit, I definitely said Mauler and not marauder, you are all imagining things lol.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 20 October 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#16 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

misunderstanding what you are saying here.

To clarify, I was talking about the dropdecks.
You can only have 2 hgauss battlemechs in the dropdeck and only mounting 1 hgauss in a battlemech isnt as effective as a single UAC20/AC20 because you dont have to charge them and they don't weigh or take as much space

#17 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:44 PM

I dont even understand why so many people praise clam and say that IS sucks and is impossible to play. Obviously if you try to mid raneg trade with a clammer using IS lasers you are gonna have a bad day, but its called playing IS to their strengths and not forcing clam playstyle on IS mechs which need to be played differently anyway.

The 2 decisive advantages clam has over IS are straight line speed and better medium range capability (ERML, UACs, GR, LPL). At extreme ranges ive found that both sides are comparable (IS ERLL is much cooler, clam has more DHS, ERPPCs are both comparable with IS velocity vs clam damage), and if you can get into 400m or so IS has a decisive advantage with their array of more focused and effective damage dealing choices and far better brawl weapons and armor quirks.

Now in QP the straight line speed is alot less of a advantage then it appears to be at least based on my experience. Unless the team has a coherent group of fast mechs and you are the only sub 80 mech around, it is almost impossible to be left behind unless you make a conscious choice to park somewhere and play sniper while the enemy team rushes your position and kills you. Hell, i even have a few mechs (nightstar, victor) that run dual HGRs and go just over 50kph and i do not have any real problems with being flanked or outnascared solong as i do not turn around and keep pushing W until my team stops nascaring or everyone is dead and take full advantage of shortcuts that allow me to cut into the nascar (like go through middle on caustic).

The other advantage of mid range poke is also really deceptive and limited to very few mechs. Aside from assaults like the deathstrike and heavys like hellbringer and ebon, clan doesnt really have the firepower to outtrade IS consistently unless you get into a free damage situation, and IS can often followup with 2 shots before the clam mechs makes 1 shot and gets back to cover thanks to faster ROF. Now in QP the hellbringer is one of the best trading mechs, not because it is a good mech (its really not), but because of ECM combined with boated hardpoints that let it get alot of free damage in on unaware potatos. In FP and higher levels of play you wont see quite as many hellbringers because of the chassis's flaws like lack of endo/ferro and reliance on very long duration wepons (pretty much all the decent builds are running ERML+HLL, occasionally a LPL instead of teh HLL (ERLLs are dead outside of pure snipers now since the heat nerfs last patch).

Still, ill take a dual HGR (with 3-4 ERMLs as secondary) any day over pretty much whatever clam can bring. You get very high damage PPFLD that can be sustained the whole game, and you can outtrade anything clam that relies on lasers or ballistics if you twist the instant your HGRs fire, and provided you can work around the subpar speed, you can still get agility and firepower superior to anything else. HGRs are just so broken right now in both QP and organized play that you may as well suicide when facing those on any map but a sniper friendly one like alpine or polar, and even then you can make a HGR work if you play right.

Also, from my experience the only truly powerful general purpose clam mechs:

MCII-B (quad dakka build, about the only clam mech that can do this well since KDK-3 is glass)

MCII-DS (2GR+6ERML, best combo of single exposure, focused damage, and sustain so its not screwed in a brawl if you must do it)

HBR (good in QP, sucks anywhere else cause its reliant on super high duration lasers, but at least its probably the best raw damage mid range trade heavy clam has access to so it gets that)

EBJ (best thing in game for boating pulses, can still run gauss or regular vomit decently, better then timby in every category but JJs)

HBK-IIC A (only clam medium that is light and carries heavy levels of vomit, very good in FP cause it doesnt eat tonnage, not crazy in QP but still useful).

ACH (best light imo, 3HML+6MG, best combo of laser poke and sustained/crit DPS, and it has the armor to take a few glancing blows)

PIR-1 (its glass, but its about the only light that can and will evicerate anything with open compoennts and has more firepower then many mediums not to mention heat-free)

everything else is either super niche and while it can be made to work, relies too much on team comp and tactics/map selection, or just plain sucks (bad hardpoints, too few hardpoints, bad hitboxes, ect). I play many othert mechs on both sides, but thusfar nothing beats QP like dual HGR mechs, with the only thing on clam coming remotely close is the DS with its 69 alfa strike 6ERML+2GR build (which is a bit more reliant on staring so not quite as powerful but has range and moves decently fast at just below 70kph).

Edited by panzer1b, 20 October 2018 - 04:48 PM.

#18 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:56 PM

View Postpanzer1b, on 20 October 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

I dont even understand why so many people praise clam and say that IS sucks and is impossible to play. Obviously if you try to mid raneg trade with a clammer using IS lasers you are gonna have a bad day, but its called playing IS to their strengths and not forcing clam playstyle on IS mechs which need to be played differently anyway.

Because people that play mostly IS mechs want clan mechs to be worse, and people that mostly play clan mechs want IS mechs to be worse, hence you get the non stop whining "Clam laservomit OP", "Dual HGauss OP", "Clam PPFLD OP", "Spheroid armour quirks OP", etc which results in us having this ridiculous balance carousel which bleeds chunks of the playerbase with every major set of changes

but you know, keep complaining, the day may come when you'll be able to overcome your lack of ability and game knowledge by complaining enough to make your favorite weapon/mech/faction/playstyle wreck everything in your path and you can feel like a powerful lore hero mechwarrior (hint: it won't, you'll just end up shooting NPCs in MW5 and you'll finally be happy)

#19 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

I like my clan laser mechs. I've posted about this before, but right now I've actually stopped playing my Clan lasvomit setups (both meta and CMPL) and switched to quirked IS laser builds

WHM-6D with 3LL/6ML
HBK-4P with 2LL/5ML
PXH-2C with 6 MPL (or 6 ML if you want more speed - either one works).
BLR-1G with 6LL
WLF of any variant with med lasers of your choice

Haven't tried it yet but I'll bet the HGauss MAD-BH with 7 ML is pretty nice right now too.

Find any IS mech with 6 or more energy hardpoints and some quirks and they are magical right now. The new heat dissipation rules sync up much better with IS laser characteristics (fast burn, low heat), you tend to get more armor than your clan opponent, and the quirks are icing on the cake.

I don't expect it to remain this way. PGI has to change what they have wrought with this patch. But right now its a non-stop laser show with my IS mechs.

#20 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:01 PM

Lasers are just very easy to use. And Clan lasers are the best at midrange.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users