The Placement Match System Is Absolutely Stupid.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

Anyone else think it's absolutely pants on head ******** that you can play the same guy twice, and go 1-1, but lose 217 points when you lose, and gain 30 when you win? But if you're under 10 games played in a division, that's what happens.

If you get lucky and play 10 scrubs in a row when the season starts, then boom, you automatically are stuck in at a super high rank. If you have 1 or 2 even matches though, you're stuck at a much lower rank.

Doesn't make sense to me.

#2 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

Things with the ELO calculator do seem off somehow....This season I messed around with what builds I wanted to run in Div 4 and started 2-2. I settled on one and got to about 12-4.....all seemed ok. Then I faced a guy (who I hadn’t heard of, no offense to him...I don’t know everyone) who was 8-0 with a ELO several hundred points higher than me and did beat him. He came back....I beat him again....he came back....beat him again. This happened where I faced him 5-6 times (with a couple of different opponents in between)and beat him each and every time. He was 8-5 and still had a higher elo than me...despite 5 head-to-head wins. I could only think that those first matches somehow count more in establishing your initial elo....that or he had multiple wins over top guys and I just had his number somehow. idk...something just didn’t make sense to me though as his win-loss was now much worse than mine and I had all those head-to-head wins. Honestly, I don’t really understand how they are doing those calcs though...

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 21 October 2018 - 09:46 AM.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 21 October 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Anyone else think it's absolutely pants on head ******** that you can play the same guy twice, and go 1-1, but lose 217 points when you lose, and gain 30 when you win? But if you're under 10 games played in a division, that's what happens.

If you get lucky and play 10 scrubs in a row when the season starts, then boom, you automatically are stuck in at a super high rank. If you have 1 or 2 even matches though, you're stuck at a much lower rank.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Yep... It's quite dumb IMO. I have played a few games - if I get someone above my ELO I get +120 for a win.

If I get someone below then I get +7 or something... It all depends on what I get matched with. Now when there are 10+ people in the queue I struggle to comprehend why I'm matching 1300 ELO people when I have 1800 ELO+.

Total waste of my "seeding" matches and if someone else gets lucky, they get a bonus ELO to propel them up.

End of the day I don't care that much, after 2 seasons of rewards debarcles and now 2 seasons of this silly grading/bonus ELO... Just going to play my 25 games and be done with it. Whatever rewards I get, I get. Community feedback is definately not being taken onboard here at all.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 21 October 2018 - 04:55 PM.

#4 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:54 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 October 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

End of the day I don't care that much, after 2 seasons of rewards debarcles and now 2 seasons of this silly grading/bonus ELO... Just going to play my 25 games and be done with it. Whatever rewards I get, I get.

Agreed, but I would -like- to care.... it's just there's barely any reason to, and that's pretty disheartening.

#5 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

Same here - I don't mind playing the mode. One big issue is the earnings vs time investment is the worst out of any game mode. Hence I only do it after I've cleaned out my beer fridge and then I don't notice the wait times (outside an event).

With small alterations Solaris could actually be half decent. Alas, here we are.

#6 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:08 PM

Doing 2v2's in Div 7.... lost 2 games to 0-0 teams that had decent players (that would likely be higher ranked once they do their placements.... lost 203 ELO each time.

Absolutely stupid. This system makes no sense.

#7 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:23 PM

ELO doesn't really exist. Was 2000 ELO, dropped multiple times with 6+ people queued... get someone with 1000 ELO. Working as intended.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

Ye it seems to match the people 'closest' in ELO.

So if you have 10 in the queue. The top and bottom ELO players will match while the meat in the middle all play each other as they are closer.

Say like 1600 ELO and 1650 ELO.

At least that is my experience because if I have 1900 ELO and 10 in the queue and I get a 1300 ELO player. What are the other 8 players? Are they honestly all lower than 1300 ELO? (which is like 0-4). I sincerely doubt it.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 21 October 2018 - 09:28 PM.

#9 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:46 AM

Same here.

Had 1800+ ELO in Div 1 after few matches.

Encoutered a guy with starting ELO level and beat him 3 times. The 4th time he run away and we had a tie. My ELO dropped 200+ to 1600. After a tie, Karl!

After that I won dozen of matches and each time I gained 7 or 15 scores.

So basically I still can't restore my ELO to before that Tie level even after several wins against 2000+ ELO players.

Almost the same story happened to me in Div 4.

So basically this system encorouges people to win 3-4 matches, and then never return to this game mode again, because you can secure the position that easy, and the price of a mistake is too high.

#10 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:13 AM

Just take a spider 5v in div 7, you wont care about elo and will only care about the match Posted Image

#11 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 October 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

Ye it seems to match the people 'closest' in ELO.

So if you have 10 in the queue. The top and bottom ELO players will match while the meat in the middle all play each other as they are closer.

Say like 1600 ELO and 1650 ELO.

At least that is my experience because if I have 1900 ELO and 10 in the queue and I get a 1300 ELO player. What are the other 8 players? Are they honestly all lower than 1300 ELO? (which is like 0-4). I sincerely doubt it.

From my wondering about it for so long I think it places outliers together. So if you got passed over and priority it just places you with the one who doesnt get matched up

#12 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

I have been using my alt account just to test builds and had 2 events where the lower ranked player hid and wiped out my starting Elo.

it was so consistent that I am starting to wonder if it was some alt account from a top player. Then, I ran into a guy who was 0-30, who played beautifully and almost killed me...
l

Edited by Surn, 29 October 2018 - 11:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users