When Is Bane Coming Out? Or Lao Hu, Or...? [Et Al]

BattleMechs Balance Metagame

31 replies to this topic

#1 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

I know we have things like the Warhammer IIC in the pipes, but man what I'd do for my favorite Mech in all of BattleTech: Bane.

Posted Image

This sucker came out way back in the year 2827. It's a 100 ton BattleMech, not an Omni, with a reasonable Clan XL300 and some of the most fun weapon setups MWO has yet to see. A few excerpts from Sarna's page:

"This long-range, direct-fire support 'Mech is armed with ten Ultra Autocannon/2s. [...] To keep enemies at bay, especially unarmored infantry, the Bane also mounts four Machine Guns."

And that's just the primary configuration. There's also this bad boy, the Bane 3:
"This design changes the weapons configuration totally. Eight LRM-15 provide fire support. [...] A One-Shot Streak SRM-4 provides one-time close-quarters support."

Now, I know what you're thinking, and I get it: a 100-ton Clan BattleMech fitting either 14 Ballistics or 9 Missiles? But give that thought a second pass; with hitboxes like that, and a max engine that would make most clanners cry, how bad could a few extra ballistic slots actually be? It wouldn't be doing all that much better that an Ultraviolet (dakka), Annihilator (moar dakka) or Awesome-8R (LRMs).

I really, really want this thing. I know everyone's going crazy about the Argus, or the Avatar, or the Sunder, or the Strider, and on and on and on, but really? This beast is a classic, it's the Better Stone Rhino, the creme de la creme, and I think, with the PGI Touch we could make my dreams of a proper LBX2 boat a reality.

P.S.
If it's not too much to ask, I could also really go for a Lao Hu sometime soon. We've already got the Hatamushi en route, so why not an even better 75-ton Inner Sphere Heavy BattleMech? The right arm is perfect for those corner pokes, and it would make one hell of a shield arm if you wanted to get creative.

#2 Cryzak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 132 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

I would buy that!

#3 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:39 PM

View PostIlfi, on 23 October 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

If it's not too much to ask, I could also really go for a Lao Hu sometime soon. We've already got the Hatamushi en route, so why not an even better 75-ton Inner Sphere Heavy BattleMech? The right arm is perfect for those corner pokes, and it would make one hell of a shield arm if you wanted to get creative.

It's a fine Mech, although it probably needs some hardpoint inflation to work.

Unfortunately there are two problems: the LB-20X in the arm, which cannot be done by MWO. Also, PGI has not released IS units of the FCCW-era since the Fafnir. With MW:5 coming and the shared art agreement with HBS BT, I think PGI is going for Mechs which can be used in a SW-era scenario. As an FCCW-era fan I can tell you I am not too happy about it.

#4 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

I would buy the Bane (Kraken) but I don't expect it to be released... ever in MWO

#5 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:19 PM

I want a Lao Hu. That would surely bring out the Liao in me.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

I know we have things like the Warhammer IIC in the pipes, but man what I'd do for my favorite Mech in all of BattleTech: Bane.

Hopefully, NEVER, judging by what KDK-3 did to Clan dakka.

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:17 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 October 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

Hopefully, NEVER, judging by what KDK-3 did to Clan dakka.

That might actually explain why PGI skimped on ballistic variants for the Whammy IIC, now that I think about it.

#8 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:17 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 October 2018 - 03:17 AM, said:

That might actually explain why PGI skimped on ballistic variants for the Whammy IIC, now that I think about it.

That is lore, there are no ballistic torso variants. There are some ballistic arm variants that are available after the next time skip.

PGI actually created that ballistic torso variant for us.

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:39 AM

Bane would be a UV with high mounts really. Or the God of missiles, one variant has 9!

#10 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 24 October 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Bane would be a UV with high mounts really. Or the God of missiles, one variant has 9!

Let it rain holy hellfire upon thy enemies!!!

I just want to run that variant only just spam lrms, while laughing my *** off on any poor soul to decides to push a open area.

Edited by Battlemaster56, 24 October 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

I don't think that artwork would translate well...

#12 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:39 PM.

#13 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:24 PM

it's the Better Stone Rhino

Not so much. All the hardpoints for the all-missile/all-ballistic ones are clustered in 2-3 locations, so you really can't use all the ballistic ones without the UAC2/MG spam it already has, whereas there's at least one Rhino with ballistics in 4 places... which is why we're never getting that Rhino since PGI will freak out that someone will make a quad LBX20 build (or they'll slap the gun with ghost heat).

#14 ilKhan_OrHan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

+1 to the only serious Annihilator counter which is Tier .5 (a.k.a. God Tier) in Solaris 7

#15 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

"This long-range, direct-fire support 'Mech is armed with ten Ultra Autocannon/2s. [...] To keep enemies at bay, especially unarmored infantry, the Bane also mounts four Machine Guns."

And that's just the primary configuration. There's also this bad boy, the Bane 3:
"This design changes the weapons configuration totally. Eight LRM-15 provide fire support. [...] A One-Shot Streak SRM-4 provides one-time close-quarters support."

This is why it hasn't come out.

#16 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:47 AM

The Bane will come out weeks before we see stricter ghostheat limits on light autocannons.

#17 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:35 AM

The Bane should be left alone and forgotten.

#18 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostAcersecomic, on 27 October 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

[14 Ballistic hard points] is why it hasn't come out.

View PostLykaon, on 28 October 2018 - 04:47 AM, said:

The Bane will come out weeks before we see stricter ghostheat limits on light autocannons.

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 October 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

The Bane should be left alone and forgotten.

It couldn't possibly be THAT bad! I mean really, we've had the Ultraviolet for years and it is hardly meta-defining. Even with Clan Endo/Ferro, a smaller XL engine and stripping down an arm on the Bane, you'd only just barely be able to fit enough ammo for those 10 UAC2s on there. I think there's untapped potential for a fun new play style here!

Edited by Ilfi, 28 October 2018 - 08:55 PM.

#19 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:22 PM

View PostIlfi, on 28 October 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

It couldn't possibly be THAT bad! I mean really, we've had the Ultraviolet for years and it is hardly meta-defining. Even with Clan Endo/Ferro, a smaller XL engine and stripping down an arm on the Bane, you'd only just barely be able to fit enough ammo for those 10 UAC2s on there. I think there's untapped potential for a fun new play style here!

The new fun style is already here and it is already powerful (UV, Mauler, NGyr, Krab with 6 or more ballistic mounts). Only reason why UV is not use more is because of its relatively low torsi/arm mounts and 48kph speed--something the Bane has less issue about (since it is a battlemech, PGI will likely boost its max engine rating to 360, like the Krab). What you are endorsing is straight up powercreep, which will no doubt result in further nerfs on Clan ballistics (particularly the AC2s), and Clan missiles, judging from how PGI handled the pre-nerf KDK-3. That will royally screw over mechs with either low amount of ballistic/missile mounts, or small in available tonnage.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 October 2018 - 10:27 PM.

#20 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:30 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 October 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

What you are endorsing is straight up power creep.
Well sure, but so was the Deathstrike, Annihilator and Piranha. And that's before mentioning the Timber Wolf before that, or the Stalkers and Highlanders before that.

All I'm saying is:

I think we need a proper UAC2 platform. The Night Gyr and MX90 hardly do it justice (beaten by the mega-quirked Dragon), and the Ultraviolet is a clunky square hidden behind a pay wall steeper than the Deathstrike.

Would the Bane be strong? Sure. But would it be game-breaking? I argue No. Even with the luxuries of being a Clan BattleMech, it is tough to fit all the ammo and DHS needed to support them, and moreover there's nothing stopping PGI from keeping the chassis in check the way Night Gyrs, Dire Wolves and Kodiaks are currently: zero quirks, dreadful hitboxes, terrible torso twist and (for two of them) a low max engine size. Finally, even if the Bane was added it could only reasonably bring about 10 UAC2s in MWO, if that -- there's no way to reasonably fit more even with all the options available to a Clan BattleMech.

Sure a 10 UAC2 turret would be strong, but I doubt it would it be the wild insufferable amount of power creep some of y'all make it out to be -- particularly when things like Gauss Vomit, Laser Vomit, twin UAC10+twin UAC5, quad LBX10 and twin Heavy Gauss + MPLs exist.

Also it would make PGI a lot of money, but that's not a good talking point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users