We Are The Champions, My Friends!

10 replies to this topic

#1 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:50 AM

What, seriously? It's been a week and a half, no build thread for the Chip? For shame, MWO forums. For shame.

I didn't think I'd be getting this 'Mech at first, but after watching several others play it, I determined that I'd made a grievous error in not placing the venerable Chip on my must-have list. I proceeded to play PokeMech, because I'm a sucker with poor impulse control...

...and the Champion is turning out to be my new favorite heavy. The Rifleman was the first heavy I really clicked with, but while it packs a good punch it's never been particularly nimble, and it's notorious for having a glass jaw. The Dragon is somewhat anemic in the firepower department despite being pretty tanky nowadays, and the Quickdraw is kind of a one-trick pony anymore since only the hero is worth looking at. The 60-ton range has never really had a generalist, but it seems like the Champion is going to change that. There are a few limitations, but most of its variants support an impressive degree of build diversity.

The key seems to be that most of the Chips can shave an extra two tons off their arms, which allows them to hit harder (or more often) than a Rifleman, while having armor and mobility comparable to a Dragon... a little squishier because it hasn't got structure buffs on top of armor buffs, but durable enough to stand and fight when it has to (and, at least, more durable than any Quickdraw other than IV-Four). The result is a very solid 'Mech. Not OP by any stretch of the imagination, but capable and flexible with a good range of builds and roles.

Obviously, the chief downside is that most of the Champions don't have any arm weapons. Not being able to pop UAVs is a constant issue, and you will lose fights sometimes because you can't quite get your guns to the enemy's elevation. Ballistic-focused configs will have to give extra care to protecting their RT. Some weapon combinations (dual UAC10, for example, or quad LB2X) just won't work because of slot restrictions. The hitboxes are middling at best; you're going to want the survival tree on most any config. Nevertheless, it's a 'Mech that will find a happy home with any fan of faster heavies. I'm a fan.

CHP-1N(S) - There's something to be said for keeping it simple. AC20+4xMPL delivers a consistent, accurate punch. With both ammo capacity nodes, 3t of AC20 ammo is plenty- more than 4t would have yielded before the Skill Tree, anyway. I'm very pleased with the results I've been getting with it. I think I might main this for a while.

CHP-1N - The third iteration. I tried a stock-adjacent build first just for kicks (LB10X+SRMs+lasers), but found it wanting and switched to dakka+lasers (2xAC5+4xERML, now 2xUAC5+4xERML), which has been more consistent. I'm liking the Champions for dakka. More on that in a bit...

CHP-2N - I tried 3xRAC2 on this one, but RACs are still too situational for my liking. 2xAC5+AC2+lasers is a little less exotic, perhaps, but more reliable. Dakka is good on the Champion. It's got this nice, tight mount grouping...

CHP-3N - It's a Jester without the jump jets. Or, at least, that's what I built it as, because the energy arms are the only thing setting it apart from the other variants. Lots of sinks keep the pewpew going all day long. Not much else to say... other than the Invictus, it's the only Champion that can pop UAVs without help, so it's got that going for it too.

CHP-1N2 - I wasn't really sure what to do with this critter. It'd probably have made a good AC20 'Mech, but I wanted the boom on my 1N(S) for the cbill boost, so I felt like I had to find another niche for the 1N2. UAC10 makes it different enough to be interesting.

CHP-1NB - WAAAAGH! DAKKKADAKKADAKKA! This might just be the best 60-ton AC2 boat, even without any ballistic quirks besides velocity. The Rifleman can run quad AC2, but the mounts are pretty far apart way out on the arms. The Dragon can run a nice UAC2 cluster on its arm, but it's a low arm, and pretty far from the cockpit. The Champion 1NB has an amazing mount cluster. All four guns are all scrunched up together, they're all near or at cockpit level, and they're all snuggled up close to the body. You hit what you're pointing at, and the damage all goes exactly where you want it to- every time, at any range. Sure, having all four Bs in the same component means that you're never going to be doing anything but AC2 spam of one kind or another with that cluster... but it's good at AC2 spam. Really good. Easily the best of the 60-ton dakka platforms. Mine was a little light on ammo until I got the capacity nodes, but the lasers have really helped in overwhelming enemies that try to burst me down in brawl.

CHP-INV - The obvious thing to do with the Invictus is MRMs. The Quickdraw is better at it because the Quickdraw has better hitboxes, though. It also can't really run SRMs that well because they're all spread out (unlike the ballistics on the dakka-capable variants). I've been experimenting with different things trying to get more use out of the arms- it'd seem a waste to keep them empty, since only one other Champion has arm weapons. 2xMRM30+2xERML seems to do okay. I think this is probably the weakest Champion... which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because the other Champions are quite good. It's just not going to be usurping the IV-Four any time soon. Looks much cooler while jump-jetting, though.

So... yeah. That's my take on the 'Mech, anyway. She's a keeper. Good fun in a funny-looking package. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 25 October 2018 - 01:52 AM.

#2 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

I was seriously considering making a post with that title, but after my Live Long and Prosper post for the Vulcan I didn't want to be the guy that thinks up puns for every new mech build thread. I just know the Vapor Eagle thread is going to allude to vaping.

For all the Champions except the hero you can't go wrong with an AC20 and medium lasers, or a Heavy Gauss and medium lasers. They're simple and effective. Setting those aside, here's what I've run with decent to good results:

CHP-1N (2xSRM6+Artemis, 4xMPL, 2xMG) can also be run with a Standard 300 engine
CHP-1N (2xLRM15+Artemis, 4xML, 2xLMG)
CHP-1N (2xLB10X, 4xERSL) it's a touch slow, so don't get out of position
CHP-2N (MRM40, 4xML, 3xHMG) You can drop to MGs for a Standard 290
CHP-3N (6xMPL) also works with a Std 300 for a zombie build that avoids heat issues when losing the right torso

Only got the base collector pack so I don't have the 1N2, 1Nb, or Invictus.

Edited by Ruccus, 25 October 2018 - 03:00 AM.

#3 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:14 AM

If you have the Champion Hero Mech, check this out. The torso speeds are the highest of all the variants, and are insane!

Currently running 4 SRM 6, and 2 MPL

The 1NB is great for RACs with a tight grouping, and a 20% velocity quirk. I run it with 3 RAC2s, and 2ML.

Edited by Larsh, 31 October 2018 - 06:17 AM.

#4 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:59 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 11:22 AM.

#5 Psykmoe

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:25 PM

I enjoy the Champion, first mech where I got the Reinforcements as well.

Honestly, the Ac20/4 MPL build mentioned in the original post is what I do on the 3N. Yes yes, I'm wasting the arm mounts, but the 3N has 10% ballistic cooldown and +10% range for all guns, while the 1N has 10% ballistic cooldown and missile quirks I don't use. The 10% extra range are handy to reach out just a little further with the pulse lasers and the big spud gun. I tried running 6 medium lasers instead of 4 MPLs but it ran a lot hotter since I didn't save any weight for extra cooling - had to armor up the arms!

On the 1N2, with its 15% ballistic cooldown and additional energy slot in the left torso, I actually run Heavy Gauss and 5 medium lasers on a 270 Standard engine I think. Really fun, haven't previously tried gauss weaponry much. Got CASE as well so i can keep nipping at people with my lasers if they blow out the gun ... but my best game so far in this I ended with 4 kills after getting my other side blown off and only fighting with the heavy goose and the two chin lasers.

On the 1NB I run an XL engine and quad AC2, and by some stroke of good fortune I got Polar Highlands the first time I tried it and it worked really well, as a previous poster said, the clustering on the ballistics is awesome.

Now, the Champion handles quite well - it's turning, acceleration and torso twist is slightly worse than that of the Dragon and Quickdraw, but better than that of any other heavy and many mediums. I do like responsive mechs!

As Larsh pointed out, the Invictus, and also the 2N variant, actually exceed the agility of a Dragon or Quickdraw - those two variants handle extremely well, better than all but the most nimble mediums, aside from top speed obviously.

I just haven't found a build for the 2N I really like. I do wanna play it because I like mechs that are highly agile for their size, but the quirks don't inspire me. MRM40 with laser and machinegun backup maybe? Eeh.

Edited by Psykmoe, 27 December 2018 - 03:28 PM.

#6 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

Alright, you guys convinced me to buy the standard+reinforcement packs.

I usually buy the hero too, but not sure about this one. Larsh's vid was pretty entertaining, but it looked like he had good aggressive teammates early on who supported pushes. Plus he torso twists like a rock star.

Edit:
Ok, I freakin LOVE this mech! Such good mobility! Holy crap.

Edit2:
Here are my initial builds:
1N: 2 UAC/5, 4 ML, LFE300
1N2: HGR, 5 ML, STD270
1NB: 4 AC/2, 4 ERSL, XL300
2N: 3 RAC/2, 2 ERML, LFE270
3N: AC/20, 4 ML, STD300

Each plays different. Not really sure XLs are a good idea, so I might switch to LFE265 in the 1NB.

Edited by NRP, 02 January 2019 - 10:28 PM.

#7 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:22 AM

Yes, it's a really nice mech that I've been having fun with too.

I'd suggest though that for the CHP-3N you might want to try a build that uses its arm mounted energy hardponts since that's what makes it different to the rest of the (non-hero) Champions. The giant arm 'pontoons' and the excellent torso mobility make for a great shielding and counterpunching mech. After dabbling with the 6xMPL build in my above post I settled on the tried and true AC20/ML build for the mech (CHP-3N). It has a potent 50 pin point damage alpha strike, a quick cycling AC20 for when you're hot, and the two arm mounted medium lasers are perfect for shooting down UAVs.

You could also opt for a modified Crab build like this: CHP-3N (or a standard engine variant: CHP-3N/CHP-3N). The LL/ML build works on my Crab so I figure it would work on the Champion. The only reason I haven't tried it is the AC20/ML is kind of my 'comfort food' build that works well in pretty much any mech I put it in, from the 40 ton Vulcan to the 75 ton Marauder and many mechs in between.

Finally, tweaking a build that's been impressive for me in the 2N (averaging well over 400 damage per match so far), you can go with an MRM40/ML build: CHP-3N or CHP-3N. My gut says the version with the 280LFE might be better even though it's slower because all the weapons are pretty hot. The two extra heatsinks are going to help you more when you need that extra pinpoint strike (even if it's just 2 MLs) to finish off a mech you've been sandpapering with the MRM40. If you prefer speed though, the 300LFE version might be your cup of tea since it does still have a reasonable cooling efficiency for hit and run tactics.

#8 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

View PostRuccus, on 25 October 2018 - 02:50 AM, said:

May I ask why a Std engine? These things can pack an XL without much risk, as they take so much damage to their arms and CT. The side torsos are very small and rarely take serious damage (from my experience). Only reason to take a Std engine is if you are taking a H Gauss (and maybe an AC20, but even then you should be able to fit a LFE in I would imagine).

My Champions run a few different builds at the moment:
1N: XL 350, LB 10-X AC (2 tons ammo), 4 MLs and an MRM20 (1.5 tons ammo). Probably my most balanced version, yet surprisingly my least favorite.
2N: XL 315, AC10 (2.5 tons ammo), H PPC, 2 MLs. I use it as a fast mid ranged pin point damage build. It's rather fun and seems to hold effectiveness.
3N: XL 350, LB 10-X AC (2 tons ammo), 4 MPLs. This one, despite it's simplicity, is my favorite. Hits really good closer in, and after speed tweak it moves over 100 KPH. Quick to reposition, quick to leave, while still hitting like a ton of bricks.

I like my Champions on the faster side. They really can maintain good speeds with good firepower, and they seem to survive well despite a large CT because of their large arms and small side torsos. Really, it's one of my top favorite heavy mechs. Actually, probably my top favorite heavy mech... Posted Image

#9 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:21 PM

View PostTesunie, on 03 January 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

May I ask why a Std engine? These things can pack an XL without much risk, as they take so much damage to their arms and CT. The side torsos are very small and rarely take serious damage (from my experience). Only reason to take a Std engine is if you are taking a H Gauss (and maybe an AC20, but even then you should be able to fit a LFE in I would imagine).

Generally on mechs that have CT energy hardpoints I like to give a zombie option for those who want a zombie build. It's also useful for those who don't have the c-bills to buy LFE (or XL) engines; I try to be mindful of those who are still at the stage where they have to budget their builds. With the changes in heat scale for an LFE side torso loss standard engines have also become options for those who like to keep on the upper end of the heat scale without fear of overheating unexpectedly.

As for losing a side torso on a Champion, while I don't find it any more common than losing a side torso other mechs such a Bushwacker I don't find it happening less often either. On a loss it's not exactly uncommon that I lose a side torso before dying. I like brawling so XL engines don't exactly fit my playstyle, and as an attacker I prefer to go after a heavy or assault's side torso to cause them heat issues so my attacking preferences do shape how I build my mechs to defend against opponents.

#10 FyrstormTheArtist

Rookie

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

I only just bought the Champion standard pack today, and I already love this mech. The width of it's tripped me up a few times (definitely can't squeeze between buildings like my other mechs), but its speed and agility is really enjoyable!

So far, I haven't actually done many modifications (only had the mechs for a couple hours or so)-- in fact, only the 1N has had more changes than just relocating some of its armour (current 1N: STD 300, LB-10X w/3.5 tons of ammo, 4 ML). Of course, I'm planning to do a bigger overhaul later (endo-steel, DHS, etc), but this is definitely the direction I want to take my 1N.

However, I'm not entirely sure what to do with the 2N and 3N yet, so I'll keep an eye on this thread for build inspiration!

#11 Maugged

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:16 PM

I just bought the 3N and gave it 2LPL + 4ERML with a 350XL engine which gives a 101.6 top speed for 40pts of alpha and 1.41 heat management. Pretty fun, it's agility and top speed makes it very easy to relocate when needed. You'll never be left behind in a nascar for sure and peakabooing is effortless with its acceleration and braking.

CHP-3N

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users