Most Powerful Pushing Mech?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:52 AM

I am looking for a new Mech with good armour that I can use to push the enemy. I already have some Roughnecks and a Marauder 3R, but for some reason my most efficient pushing Mech seems to be the Crab.

With the current peek and poke gameplay going on, pushing in and surviving is getting more important. Since nobody seems to be willing to lead a push. I am doing fairly well with my Crabs, I have survived three pushes in one game despite being the first out of the gate and I have been hit with 3 double Heavy Gauss shots without losing any weapons. Neither my Marauder nor my Roughnecks have been really useful after 1-2 pushes. Being bigger, they just fall apart quicker, due to concentrated fire.

So I am looking for other Mechs with surviveability comparable to the Crab. Ideally with AMS. I do have 2 Bushwackers, but they tend to not be able to push quite as well...

#2 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:08 AM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:33 PM.

#3 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:53 AM

If you want pushing power, I'd generally say an Atlas or Annihilator would be the go, excellent tanking ability and damage output both, though I'd rate the Annihilator a bit higher myself. My 1A with 2xRAC5, 2xAC2, 1xLBX2 and AMS does amazingly well in pushing situations, just able to heap a constant stream of fire on enemies, to keep them from being able to focus fire on components, and to drive them back to cover. I have tanked in front of 5 enemies at a time before, with team support, and walked over their corpses at the end, often limping and with one torso down. It has good armor, and more than that excellent hitbox geometry, which makes it tank more damage than it really should.

The downside of the annihilator though is the 48kph speed even with a max engine, so if you push across open ground, you can be torn apart just because it moves so slowly.

I also use my quad LBX10 Cyclops Slipnir for pushes, but I have to be a bit more careful with it, as it's easier to be shot to pieces. It has much better agility though, which can make it easier to torso twist, and duck into cover as appropriate. It's high damage output and low heat mean that it can really brawl once it hits the enemy line though, and rip away components like nothing else.

#4 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:18 AM

Honestly I've had great success in my current Fafnir build.
Here's the link to a thread I opened about it and talk about it in some detail: https://mwomercs.com...fastest-fafnir/

I find it to be a very opressive build that deals great damage and has great sustain.

#5 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 30 October 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

Another mech a lot of ppl often underestimate in terms of tankability (though his low cockpit-placement and his huge side-torsos are a bit controversial) is the Archer. But it has amazing armor quirks and can dish out a lot of damage as an medium laser + mrm-carrier while still running around 70kph.

I had a 6ML MRM60 Archer but I just could not get any decent results with it, despite developing skills etc. It's good at dishing damage, but it's kill potential is low because it spreads damage so much with MRMs.

#6 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

Sorry, no can do on the Assault Mechs. I have bought 2 and I just cannot get them to work for me. I perform best in mediums and heavies. And at my worst in Assaults.

#7 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:12 AM

Try looking at a cataphract. Heavy armor stallions. With possibly Ecm or MASC. They are not the most dangerous. But they can surely take a beating.

#8 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:10 AM

View PostYumoshiri, on 01 November 2018 - 02:12 AM, said:

Try looking at a cataphract. Heavy armor stallions. With possibly Ecm or MASC. They are not the most dangerous. But they can surely take a beating.

Oh it is quite dangerous. The Trial Cataphract is crazy deadly, my first match with it when I was still new yielded an 800+ damage round. It might be an old mech with a low ballistic mount but it packs serious punch for its size and has backup weapons :) Has good hardpoints overall.
Oldie but goldie.

#9 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:33 AM

In addition to Phracts, give Orions a look, especially the IICs. For the IICs,think Atlas but moving at 80kph. Best pushing heavies I’ve played. Can take a beating and still alpha a C-UAC or C-LBX20 with 4ASRM6s. Even the IS Orions are good too.

#10 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:27 AM

Victor 9S

#11 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:30 AM

View PostWindscape, on 01 November 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

Victor 9S

Definitely one of the best for FP, not very good for QP. Mainly because of how PGI handles class balancing. Every assault mech your team gets, the enemy gets one. If you take a Victor, and the enemy takes another Annihilator, you're at a serious disadvantage. Honestly its like that for most classes... heavier = better, so taking something at the low end of your weight class is usually a bad move in QP unless it has some other redeeming quality, like an Assassin being technically a medium but behaving way more like a Light with much heavier firepower / armor.

#12 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

The CTF-1X or 2X (strong quirks), CTF-3L (MASC), or ON1-V (armored and quirked to the nines) sound like what you're looking for. They're about as close to assault mechs as you'll get without actually being an assault mech. Hell, they're actually tougher than some assault mechs, and faster with their lower tonnage. With their mostly low weapon mounts they're all explicitly brawlers, though; don't expect to do a huge amount of ranged trading in the early game.

Edit: Here are some sample builds.

Spoiler

All of these mechs are smaller and faster than your average assault mech but can take about as much of a beating and still dish out a lot of pain. I'm personally never worried about leading the charge in any of the three.

Edited by Mister Maf, 01 November 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#13 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:55 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 30 October 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

Sorry, no can do on the Assault Mechs. I have bought 2 and I just cannot get them to work for me. I perform best in mediums and heavies. And at my worst in Assaults.

That is a sign you may be reacting rather'n planning your positioning. Assualts are slow, so you basically hafta read the battlefield and figure out where the fights are going to be to get the most outta them.

This guide goes over things that can be used for mechs of all weight class, but concerns position, so is geared mostly towards assaults. That said, try thinking about it whilst using your heavies, see if it helps clear things up and give you some ideas on how to better leverage your mech.

That said, heavies tend to be better at pushing than assualts, due to their higher speed and better spreading mobility, so sticking to heavies shouldn't be a problem for ya.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 01 November 2018 - 01:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users