New Chat Wheel Commands To Ease The Pain Of Nascar

14 replies to this topic

#1 Matmoesa

• Pip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

so we have all been there you and a few others set up to trade with the enemy front line and your whole team decides it wants to do laps of the manifold, and because you're focused on not getting you head blown off you neglect to watch the minimap like a hawk. That's when the salt kicks in because no one said anything to let you know you had no backup.

Maybe a way to help this issue is adding 2 new options to the chat wheel, a "HOLDING" or "HOLDING THE LINE" option and a "REPOSITIONING" or "FLANKING" option.
this could have 2 benefits if its made clear that people are holding a spot then others may just stick around and set up as well. but if that's not the case and then the holding people are bombarded with a heap of REPOSITIONING voice overs then they will probs move on and not throw their mech away.

the nature of the game is communication but due to a lack of mic users this could maybe help with that.

#2 catsonmeth

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

A few more wheel options would be a good idea. No one takes command because it just seems like a penisy thing to do. If there was a compulsory commander chosen by vote, lack of direction wouldn't be as much of an issue.

#3 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, the command wheel needs a few more commands. Also, I think it would be nice to have a command that will tell other players that you are focusing a certain target, for example "FOCUS FIRE ON THIS TARGET". This should give people without a mic an ability to dropcall.

#4 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

I like that idea. Adding a “flanking” command, a “holding” command, and a “focus this target” command would be great additions.

And for QP SQ, having the matchmaker randomly select or select based on W/L CCs and LCs might not be a bad idea either.

#5 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

Everyone, I also agree with and SUPPORT this idea. This definitely beats the pants off of people failing to communicate due to lack of options and/or the lack of a microphone. Having added options for "Flanking", "Repositioning", "Holding Position", and/or "Focus Target" would all be a definite help. We could possibly also have variations for Attack and Defense too. Heck, PGI is overdue for enhancing what options are available when somebody has NOT taken command. :D

~Mr. D. V. "definitely on-board with this idea" Devnull

#6 turdburglir

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBest Coast, USA

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:47 PM

+1

#7 Aivazovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:12 AM

View PostMatmoesa, on 30 October 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

so we have all been there you and a few others set up to trade with the enemy front line and your whole team decides it wants to do laps of the manifold, and because you're focused on not getting you head blown off you neglect to watch the minimap like a hawk. That's when the salt kicks in because no one said anything to let you know you had no backup.

Maybe a way to help this issue is adding 2 new options to the chat wheel, a "HOLDING" or "HOLDING THE LINE" option and a "REPOSITIONING" or "FLANKING" option.
this could have 2 benefits if its made clear that people are holding a spot then others may just stick around and set up as well. but if that's not the case and then the holding people are bombarded with a heap of REPOSITIONING voice overs then they will probs move on and not throw their mech away.

the nature of the game is communication but due to a lack of mic users this could maybe help with that.

Have you ever pressed a button "Take company command" or "Take lance command"? Try it, you will be surprised

...in general, I am shocked how many people know nothing about this game

Edited by Aivazovsky, 20 November 2018 - 01:22 AM.

#8 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:34 AM

View PostAivazovsky, on 20 November 2018 - 01:12 AM, said:

Have you ever pressed a button "Take company command" or "Take lance command"? Try it, you will be surprised

In case you couldn't tell, we are talking about adding these commands to the basic command wheel so that evryone can use them and not just the commander

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 20 November 2018 - 03:17 AM.

#9 Aivazovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

View Postadmiralbenbow123, on 20 November 2018 - 02:34 AM, said:

In case you couldn't tell, we are talking about adding these commands to the basic command wheel so that evryone can use them and not just the commander

That is, you want to pull the blanket each over, without taking the responsibility of the command? it's wise! Posted Image

#10 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:20 AM

View Postadmiralbenbow123, on 20 November 2018 - 02:34 AM, said:

View PostAivazovsky, on 20 November 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

That is, you want to pull the blanket each over, without taking the responsibility of the command? it's wise! Posted Image

That's not quite what we're thinking here. :(

Right now, it is somewhat hard-to-impossible for people to communicate/coordinate off of each other, regardless of whether there is a Commander or not. What is being sought is to expand the number of things that Non-Commanders have, both in order to help a Commander, as well as to help people simply work better together. We do NOT want so many items on the Non-Commander configuration of the Command Wheel that it bogs down like when someone has taken Lance/Company Command. However, we don't want it to remain so few that people can't really do well at signaling to each other in terms of intents, wants, and needs. :o

Please keep in mind, not everyone has a microphone. While it would be recommended that many should get one, there is still the issue with the language barrier between people from different nations. Not everyone can understand and/or speak English, for example. Worse, this applies for literally every single language on the planet that we all live on in Real Life, including...
  • German ("Deutsch", I believe you call it?)
  • Spanish (in pretty much any variant, including Portugese and Mexican)
  • Chinese (many variants here, including Mandarin)
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Russian (Eh... How many different variants of this are there?)
  • French (both European and Canadian)
  • Italian
  • Vietnamese
  • Thai (At least, I believe that's what you call the language of Thailand???)
  • Indian (as in India... definitely NOT Native American)
  • Various Languages from the "Middle East" (I have no idea how many different ones exist here.)
  • African (And again, I have no idea how many variants exist here.)
  • (many other languages, obviously... this list could go on for far too long)
...and I believe you get the idea at this point? So, enhancing the Non-Commander configuration of the Command Wheel, and therefore the Translated Audio Clips used to relay info to people based on their Selected Game Language, would go an extremely long way to helping with Communicating in general during the process of a battle within a Match. :)

Further, it absolutely can NOT always be expected 100% of the time that someone comes in with a plan, suddenly able to take charge of a Team and lead them. Due to this alone, having so few things on the Non-Commander configuration of the Command Wheel is already bad design in the first place. On top of this, there are Commanders who want proper feedback from the Team which they're leading, and the current options on there are literally not enough to do that job. Not all the people willing to command others out there are 'absolutists' who only accept just 'affirming' or 'negative' responses. Some people out there really need a lot more input and cross-communication, even if it's only with the equivalent of voice-tagged quick chat messages. :mellow:

So, I really hope you can see why people need more and better options to communicate with on the Command Wheel. It's better this, than leaving everyone in the equivalent of the Dark Ages. Any chance you would be a Supporter now??? ^_^

~Mr. D. V. "Does this enlighten you on why the Command Wheel needs a lot of Non-Commander Improvements?" Devnull

#11 turdburglir

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBest Coast, USA

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

considering i have no desire to lead a squad/plat i would still like to communicate that I and holding MY position so my mates know. it be helpful to me to know if we're holding or advancing, flanking or defending. adding the "flanking" "holding" etc will enhance team communication. more team communication = more team play = better matches. having a commander/squad leader isnt the solution, b/c placement is random and people volunteer to lead (most suck at it). but giving the each member of the team the ability to say "hey, im stopping" or "advance! follow me!" would be incredibly powerful.

#12 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 20 November 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

That's not quite what we're thinking here. :(

Right now, it is somewhat hard-to-impossible for people to communicate/coordinate off of each other, regardless of whether there is a Commander or not. What is being sought is to expand the number of things that Non-Commanders have, both in order to help a Commander, as well as to help people simply work better together. We do NOT want so many items on the Non-Commander configuration of the Command Wheel that it bogs down like when someone has taken Lance/Company Command. However, we don't want it to remain so few that people can't really do well at signaling to each other in terms of intents, wants, and needs. :o

Please keep in mind, not everyone has a microphone. While it would be recommended that many should get one, there is still the issue with the language barrier between people from different nations. Not everyone can understand and/or speak English, for example. Worse, this applies for literally every single language on the planet that we all live on in Real Life, including...
  • German ("Deutsch", I believe you call it?)
  • Spanish (in pretty much any variant, including Portugese and Mexican)
  • Chinese (many variants here, including Mandarin)
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Russian (Eh... How many different variants of this are there?)
  • French (both European and Canadian)
  • Italian
  • Vietnamese
  • Thai (At least, I believe that's what you call the language of Thailand???)
  • Indian (as in India... definitely NOT Native American)
  • Various Languages from the "Middle East" (I have no idea how many different ones exist here.)
  • African (And again, I have no idea how many variants exist here.)
  • (many other languages, obviously... this list could go on for far too long)
...and I believe you get the idea at this point? So, enhancing the Non-Commander configuration of the Command Wheel, and therefore the Translated Audio Clips used to relay info to people based on their Selected Game Language, would go an extremely long way to helping with Communicating in general during the process of a battle within a Match. :)

Further, it absolutely can NOT always be expected 100% of the time that someone comes in with a plan, suddenly able to take charge of a Team and lead them. Due to this alone, having so few things on the Non-Commander configuration of the Command Wheel is already bad design in the first place. On top of this, there are Commanders who want proper feedback from the Team which they're leading, and the current options on there are literally not enough to do that job. Not all the people willing to command others out there are 'absolutists' who only accept just 'affirming' or 'negative' responses. Some people out there really need a lot more input and cross-communication, even if it's only with the equivalent of voice-tagged quick chat messages. :mellow:

So, I really hope you can see why people need more and better options to communicate with on the Command Wheel. It's better this, than leaving everyone in the equivalent of the Dark Ages. Any chance you would be a Supporter now??? ^_^

~Mr. D. V. "Does this enlighten you on why the Command Wheel needs a lot of Non-Commander Improvements?" Devnull

Translations would be quite nice. The problem is that this would take quite a lot of time and effort. But it would be nice to give an ability to communicate to people that don't have a mic and/or are dealing with a language barrier.

Also, side note: there is only one variant of the Russian language. The pronounciations of certain combinations of letters differ from one region to another a little bit, but overall, there's only one variant of the language.

#13 catsonmeth

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

View PostAivazovsky, on 20 November 2018 - 01:12 AM, said:

You must be new here on this planet of Earth. It's inhabited by things called "humans." You don't seem to know much about them or their social behavior, so I'll just let you know that very few people are egotistical enough to wear a badge that says "I think I know more than you and these ten other complete strangers."

#14 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:02 PM

Considering the moment players hear "Need assistance," they immediately start moving as fast as possible in the opposite direction, I don't think the chat wheel is much use for tactics. They should add stuff like "Hello" and "Hahahaha" and witty one-liners instead to make the game more fun.

#15 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:31 AM

or just pay attention since you seem to have some aversion to the caps lock key

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users