Flamers... First Time Was The Charm?

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Original Flamers (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Flamers go back to the first MWO version of them?

1. Yes, with original everything, including flame graphics/damage/heat/etc. (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. No, they are fine. (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Don't like them then, don't like them now. (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. Just do something with the flamers that hasn't been done that works. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:36 PM

Despite the fact the original flamer didn't really heat the enemy much, it had graphics that more liked, good damage, controllable heat, no severe heat penalty to your mech even if It had more than 4 flamers, and you could actually kill something with it. Though they weren't as good as MW4's, they at least worked. Requesting a return to factory condition on the flamers.

Edited by Independence MK2, 14 December 2018 - 12:19 AM.

#2 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:29 AM

Just leave them as they are, but get rid of the blowtorch graphics... That was better when I was young...

#3 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

Just an idea, original flamer look for current flamers, blowtorch (the current look) for Inferno Flamers?

#4 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:18 PM

Kalimaster, would that be just the ability to select different graphics for flamer, or 2 different weapons all together? Also, really think the only real downside to flamers right now is that they added heat penalty for above 4 flamers, get rid of that, and its actually a decent weapon still, although you will still overheat and probably die...

#5 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:54 PM

Although I think the state of flamers makes them the worst in the game (especially because of the new heat penalty above 4 flamers, and exponential heat generation), I want everyone to get their voice in on this since I want to see what everyone actually wants. Feel free to suggest additional options for the poll.

#6 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:54 PM

how exactly are flamers bad now? they are light so just about any brawler with an energy point can fit one and they are extremely powerful

#7 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

Cichol Balor, Try comparing them with small lasers. Lets say you try 1 flamer vs 1 small laser on separate tests. In this case, the flamer tends to have some benefit against energy-weapon equipped mechs and might be just as effective as the small laser, but only if it is against an energy only mech, and thats assuming they don't have machine guns. Not even mentioning that flamers have less range and add more tonnage (on IS mechs only). But if you try 9 flamers vs 9 small lasers, it is a much different story. You will instantly overheat and die with flamers, with practically no heat (or damage) dealt to enemy, and enough to kill your mech, which defeats the purpose of them. I believe they are supposed to be support weapons, weaker than small lasers, but this implementation seems silly and adds extra coding that isn't needed. They'd be better off putting them back to they way they started.

#8 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

View PostIndependence MK2, on 10 December 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

Cichol Balor, Try comparing them with small lasers. Lets say you try 1 flamer vs 1 small laser on separate tests. In this case, the flamer tends to have some benefit against energy-weapon equipped mechs and might be just as effective as the small laser, but only if it is against an energy only mech, and thats assuming they don't have machine guns. Not even mentioning that flamers have less range and add more tonnage (on IS mechs only). But if you try 9 flamers vs 9 small lasers, it is a much different story. You will instantly overheat and die with flamers, with practically no heat (or damage) dealt to enemy, and enough to kill your mech, which defeats the purpose of them. I believe they are supposed to be support weapons, weaker than small lasers, but this implementation seems silly and adds extra coding that isn't needed. They'd be better off putting them back to they way they started.

... That's because you hit ghost heat after 5 and only need 5 to get any mech to 90% in seconds. this will cause just about any mech, even ballistic mechs to OH if they fire. the problem you pointed out isn't a problem with the weapon it's a problem with your use of the weapon.

#9 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:46 PM

All true, except on machine gun only mechs, overheat won't ever occur.

Back when I had a 15 Flamer, 1 UAC10 Dire-wolf, I just could get about 500 damage, and thats before the new above 4 flamers heat penalty. I am saying the weapon is barely on par with the rest even with a skilled player. It needs some refining that all these updates have not yet solved. Thus why my vote is to start all over, back to 0.7 damage, less heat dealt/given, and no awful exponential overheat or heat penalty, and the original flamer graphics too.

#10 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:19 AM

what's that a weapon system that has an unfavorable matchup against another!! next your going to tell me my LRMs and PPCs can't do anything against the small pulse viper brawling me.

why are you trying to do damage with them? you have a weapon system that gives a 1shot kill against most opponents if you build to them. the majority of the time not only will the mech you hit with them OH if they try to shoot but they don't even realize until its to late and you are lining up their cockpit that they were even being hit with a flamer. 4 gets them to 90% in less time than many weapons finish their fire duration you don't need more than that.

and don't even get me started on the old gfxs they were the most OP part of the weapons even if they didn't tottaly lagg out your machine droping your fps to the single didgets it tottaly blinded you

Edited by Cichol Balor, 13 December 2018 - 04:21 AM.

#11 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:45 AM

Well, hopefully they release the plasma rifle or something that does the trick, I don't care if its cool-down is fairly long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users