45 replies to this topic

#21 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:17 PM

View PostTiewolf, on 14 November 2018 - 03:36 AM, said:

Anyone figured out what to do with it? It loses its arm faster then a MLX, survivabilty isn`t great, its not fast and 6MGs are nothing without quirks.

has more staying power than the piranha and is machine guns are a bit better than the clan ones in all but tonnage. i dont think it needs quirks.

#22 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:29 PM

X1 erppc and x4 lmg is working well for me. I don’t have to get too close and can bug out to reengage easily. X1 jj and almost max xl. It’s fast, maneuverable and partners well with bigger bruisers or other lights.

#23 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:52 AM

Fitted mine with XL250 (I had it and didnt want to buy XL255) 6 MGs, MPL+ERSL.

It is OK at finishing mechs with open components. Very fragile and desperately needs to unlock some “anchor turn” skills because its turning rate is pretty bad for a 30 tonner. I don’t think it will see many drops after I master it.

#24 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:53 AM

If you keep the engine at XL180, you could go for H/MGs and PPC/Heavy. Less MGs with two LL. Heavy MGs with pulse lasers. RAC2/5 with lasers.
These are how I run my Urbie-R60.

#25 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:02 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 November 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

has more staying power than the piranha and is machine guns are a bit better than the clan ones in all but tonnage. i dont think it needs quirks.

The damage output of the PIR is worth the facetime you need with its MGs. The JVN with 6MGs lacks the damage output to justify the facetime the MGs need nor has it the survivability of the alternatives.

#26 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:07 AM

Heh, got lucky on my first game with the 11F:

Posted Image
Pity the next couple were far less impressive, but overall not a bad mech, feels sort of like a poor mans Arctic Cheetah.

Edited by Maddermax, 15 November 2018 - 07:14 AM.

#27 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:28 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 15 November 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

The damage output of the PIR is worth the facetime you need with its MGs. The JVN with 6MGs lacks the damage output to justify the facetime the MGs need nor has it the survivability of the alternatives.

i consistently get more damage with the javelin than i do with the piranha. being able to take an extra hit or two is why. best piranhas i find are either laser+mg hybrids (which those variants can do better than this javelin on account it only has 2 laser hardpoints) and the pure laser varients. the pure mg piranhas can be useful late game, but that requires not getting hit till that point in the match, which means being useless.

#28 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 15 November 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

If you keep the engine at XL180, you could go for H/MGs and PPC/Heavy. Less MGs with two LL. Heavy MGs with pulse lasers. RAC2/5 with lasers.
These are how I run my Urbie-R60.

I tried this on release day. I think it was x2hmg and 1 hppc. It was ok. You run into problems because minimum firing distance for the hppc and you need to get close because the hmgs. Found the 2 hmgs not enough when you got a chance to go buck wild. I still like slashing people’s face with hppc ;)

#29 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

Now I'm testing XL200 with HPPC full JJ but no MGs as I found out it's quite fragile when you go near the enemy. If I can do 20 shots, it's 300 dmg done. If only 10 HS wasn't a requirement...

#30 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:14 PM

View PostRhialto, on 15 November 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Now I'm testing XL200 with HPPC full JJ but no MGs as I found out it's quite fragile when you go near the enemy. If I can do 20 shots, it's 300 dmg done. If only 10 HS wasn't a requirement...

You'd be better of with ERPPC in that case as it has better range, no minimal, and you can still fit MGs.

#31 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:12 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 November 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

i consistently get more damage with the javelin than i do with the piranha. being able to take an extra hit or two is why. best piranhas i find are either laser+mg hybrids (which those variants can do better than this javelin on account it only has 2 laser hardpoints) and the pure laser varients. the pure mg piranhas can be useful late game, but that requires not getting hit till that point in the match, which means being useless.

Lucky You! Can't say I share your success with the JVN and I am surprised that you can take more hits with an IS XL.
Honestly I think the 11-F is a good show case of the inferior IS tech and their dependence of luck on the quirk dartboard to make an IS mech viable. ACH got ECM, PIR profits from half weight MGs and both profit from Clan-XL. 11-F? -10% cooldown?

#32 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

View PostTiewolf, on 15 November 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

Lucky You! Can't say I share your success with the JVN and I am surprised that you can take more hits with an IS XL.
Honestly I think the 11-F is a good show case of the inferior IS tech and their dependence of luck on the quirk dartboard to make an IS mech viable. ACH got ECM, PIR profits from half weight MGs and both profit from Clan-XL. 11-F? -10% cooldown?

mind you im running 6 heavy machine guns. its kind of hard to run a good complement of those on the piranha. i mean it can be done, but you will have problems with ammo being 10 tons lighter.

on the clan side you loose a side torso and a huge chunk of speed and you are only one more salvo from the enemy's coup de grace. even if you somehow survive the engagement your usefulness throughout the match will be severely limited. a slow light is often a dead light. spheroids merely get spared the hassle of dieing slow.

#33 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:57 PM

Putting big energy weapons on it is silly. There are already other javelins that do that better. The 10F and 11a both have 4 side torso energy hardpoints to work with. The 11A also adds another 3 in one arm. The 10F actually has quirks suited to running a ppc or large lasers.

#34 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:03 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 14 November 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

I'm gonna run mine with 6x HMG (3 tons ammo), 2x ERSL, XL255, 1 JJ. Obviously useless in QP since clan lights fill this role much better, but will possibly be useful in FP, if you only have 30 tons left and you want a crit light.

Did you lower the armour? I found that 6 MGs, 2 ERSL, XL220 (?) and 2 JJ was all I could do with default armour values.

#35 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 14 November 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

I'm gonna run mine with 6x HMG (3 tons ammo), 2x ERSL, XL255, 1 JJ. Obviously useless in QP since clan lights fill this role much better, but will possibly be useful in FP, if you only have 30 tons left and you want a crit light.

You should just use the standard Small Laser; the extra 50 meters on the ERSL are not worth the 0.5 extra seconds on the cooldown for a 'Mech that requires face time.

Generally speaking, IS ER Smalls are the least useful laser in their arsenal. They don't offer enough extra range over the standard Small to offset the 100% increase to heat and 14.3% loss to DPS.

#36 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:21 PM

But they sound 100% cooler.

#37 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:22 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 15 November 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

But they sound 100% cooler.

Indeed. They are the best-sounding laser, TBQH.

#38 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:24 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 15 November 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

Did you lower the armour? I found that 6 MGs, 2 ERSL, XL220 (?) and 2 JJ was all I could do with default armour values.

Posted Image
Posted Image
there ya go bud

Edited by Jackal Noble, 15 November 2018 - 08:28 PM.

#39 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

I think he means with the HMGs, in which case the answer is that you only have to shave 7 points off the head to fit an XL 225 with LFerro, Endo, 2x SL, 6x HMG, 1x JJ, and 4 tons of ammo. That should get you 4,800 rounds after skills; you can always sacrifice engine down to a 210 (113 kph, MLX speed) to gain an additional 600 rounds or 1x JJ.

#40 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:38 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 15 November 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

there ya go bud

Hmm... very nice. I think I'll try this tonight. I was running, like a said, a lower engine, regular MGs, 3 tons of ammo and 2 ERSLs. I did manage to get some kills, including a solo kill on an Atlas (he got stuck on some boulders in Tourmaline Desert, but still.... XD) but I was thinking to myself that I could squeeze some more damage out of this Javelin. Thank you very much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users