#21 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:40 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 15 November 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

For me, it's the VGL-A that's is unsurprisingly cementing itself as my favorite of the bunch. Pilots well, with plenty of twist and turn speed to roll damage and track targets easily (I did invest in the mobility tree on this one) but also throws a hell of a punch with the 4xASRM6 + LB20 build.

I'll have to take out my VGL-1 at some point, currently loaded up with 4xMPL and a UAC10 which should work fine but hasn't been tested.

With the other variants being pretty similar to one another, I'd really like to have access to MRMs. ATMS are fun but it's just a little redundant to have on 2 variants of the same chassis.

I recently tried 4 hml and 2 gauss build on the VGL1 for a blistering 70 point alpha with a 245 XL. It's a stupid build as 70kph with just 20 points of armour in the non-gauss arm means bits of you will fall off in short order even if your target doesn't aim for the gauss rifles. Which, by the way, tend to go off in a chain reaction that ends up killing you. If people don't see you though it's absolutely the best thing in the world.

#22 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:45 AM

View PostShanrak, on 14 November 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Look how freaking big it is compared to the awesome:

Posted Image

amazing, i wonder what it would look like next to a Griffin though.

#23 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:49 AM

can't speak for the QP side of things, but in Scouting, it is both a fun and a good mech, comparable to the huntsman.
you can't quite boat with it as many do with the Pakhet, but I think it's a good bit more agile for that.
Since I don't like the 6+ srm/streak build anyway...

what a nice mech Posted Image

#24 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 15 November 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

I recently tried 4 hml and 2 gauss build on the VGL1 for a blistering 70 point alpha with a 245 XL. It's a stupid build as 70kph with just 20 points of armour in the non-gauss arm means bits of you will fall off in short order even if your target doesn't aim for the gauss rifles. Which, by the way, tend to go off in a chain reaction that ends up killing you. If people don't see you though it's absolutely the best thing in the world.

Someone mentioned that build to me last night, definitely gonna have to give that a try.

#25 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:01 AM

All I know is, I have a lot less trouble doing the community reward events with this mech than the Incubus. So I'm good.

(not being able to fully utilize the Max 400 with Max JJ is a downer though.)

Edited by razenWing, 16 November 2018 - 05:01 AM.

#26 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:05 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 15 November 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

Someone mentioned that build to me last night, definitely gonna have to give that a try.

It's uniquely silly, very easy to die in. If your gauss arm comes off you are going to stand a good chance of dying from the chain reaction. I ran it with one jump jet but to be honest I think I might run it without - 1 JJ does nothing for it other than robbing the right arm of armour. Nobody expects 70 points of damage though, so that in itself makes it amusing enough to try.

#27 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:15 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 13 November 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

Posted Image
I mean... if you really want to get technical, the LT laser is clearly in the top slot. just saying
I love my vapes though

I had no idea the original art was so sassy. It's a shame the mech doesn't have more of a prance.

#28 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:44 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 November 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

It's uniquely silly, very easy to die in. If your gauss arm comes off you are going to stand a good chance of dying from the chain reaction. I ran it with one jump jet but to be honest I think I might run it without - 1 JJ does nothing for it other than robbing the right arm of armour. Nobody expects 70 points of damage though, so that in itself makes it amusing enough to try.

Yea, that 70 point alpha is really enticing.

In the meantime I ended up equipping the VGL-2 with 2xGR and 2xHML, It's only got a 200XL but full jumpjets, so I went for the opposite approach of having a lower alpha but being a superior poptart. Really not my usual style but its a fun change of pace.

#29 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:25 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 16 November 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

Yea, that 70 point alpha is really enticing.

In the meantime I ended up equipping the VGL-2 with 2xGR and 2xHML, It's only got a 200XL but full jumpjets, so I went for the opposite approach of having a lower alpha but being a superior poptart. Really not my usual style but its a fun change of pace.

200 XL, what does that get you for speed? I have this fear of dropping below 70 kph as that officially qualifies the VGL as an assault 'Mech with the frame to boot but none of the survivability. However it's not as if survival AT 70 kph is going to be much better when tapping your left shoulder is like hitting a self destruct button.

Edited by RickySpanish, 16 November 2018 - 07:25 AM.

#30 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 November 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

200 XL, what does that get you for speed? I have this fear of dropping below 70 kph as that officially qualifies the VGL as an assault 'Mech with the frame to boot but none of the survivability. However it's not as if survival AT 70 kph is going to be much better when tapping your left shoulder is like hitting a self destruct button.

56 or 58 kph if my memory is correct. It is decidely waaaaaaay slower than the 70 kph minimum that I am comfortable with but being a long range poptart build makes it feel not too bad. The mech still has medium mech agility, so it also doesn't feel like an assault from that point of view.

#31 Chaotic_Harmony

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:51 AM

4 LB2, one UAC2 on the VGL-2. Enjoy, I know I have been.

#32 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

View PostChaotic_Harmony, on 16 November 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

4 LB2, one UAC2 on the VGL-2. Enjoy, I know I have been.

Hell of a lot of lead down range for a 55 tonner!

#33 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

View PostShanrak, on 14 November 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Look how freaking big it is compared to the awesome:

Posted Image

The Awesome pays for it's shorter stature be being considerably wider. It's torso sections are decidedly wider. It's so wide in fact there are places it can't pass through.

#34 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:05 PM

This stupid gauss rifle build is cementing itself as my favourite build for all the VGL chassis, it even occasionally survives the gauss rifle explosions. Now that I've invested SP into it, it's just about agile enough to get into a decent firing position. People still rarely regard the VGL as anything more than a large, tertiary target, especially if it's not in your face. I've scored a couple of really brutal executions on assault 'Mechs this evening who simply didn't press R on me to find out what was about to accompany the suspiciously long burn time on my medium lasers.

VGL-1 Gauss Fun

#35 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:41 PM

3 tons of ammo is much too low for 2 gauss rifles. If you are going to devote that much tonnage to them make sure you can get your money's worth in damage output.

Also gauss has good range you can be much safer in the back line using them with ER mediums instead of heavy meds.

#36 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

View PostShanrak, on 16 November 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

3 tons of ammo is much too low for 2 gauss rifles. If you are going to devote that much tonnage to them make sure you can get your money's worth in damage output.

Also gauss has good range you can be much safer in the back line using them with ER mediums instead of heavy meds.

I could also just ditch the build altogether and play an Ebon Jaguar, or even a Deathstrike. Thanks for the recommendations there, mr tips, but I am fully aware of the awful deficiencies of this build. I am also aware that tonight I have deleted several Assault 'Mechs who failed to inspect the loadout of the foolish medium that dared to engage them. 5 seconds is the reload time of my guns, which is not enough time for the average nit wit to check their paper doll to see if they won the trade. Also Haven Kendrick's sound packs make this build sooo damn satisfying to alpha strike with. Bzzzrraaaaaaaaah... Thwackoooom!

#37 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:29 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 November 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

I could also just ditch the build altogether and play an Ebon Jaguar, or even a Deathstrike. Thanks for the recommendations there, mr tips, but I am fully aware of the awful deficiencies of this build. I am also aware that tonight I have deleted several Assault 'Mechs who failed to inspect the loadout of the foolish medium that dared to engage them. 5 seconds is the reload time of my guns, which is not enough time for the average nit wit to check their paper doll to see if they won the trade. Also Haven Kendrick's sound packs make this build sooo damn satisfying to alpha strike with. Bzzzrraaaaaaaaah... Thwackoooom!

2 games in with your build aaaaaand I'm never changing this mech's build.

#38 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostN a p e s, on 17 November 2018 - 05:29 AM, said:

2 games in with your build aaaaaand I'm never changing this mech's build.

I wonder if shifting ammo to the left torso would help at all with premature rifle detonation? It's certainly a potatoe killer build that's strictly for QP unless you are Godlike, but so far at tier 2 there are still plenty of tates playing.

#39 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

An LB20 + 4 x MPL does serious work on the VGL-1.

#40 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:50 PM

5x ac2 family (uac,lbx,ac) or 2x uac10 , 1x uac5 (3/4 of a Kodiak 3) are devastating builds for a 55 tonner....if you are willing to be slow and hang out with the heavier mechs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users