67 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:24 PM

Sooo the VEagle. Fun to pilot, although I have lost many more matches so far than I've won, possibly because I have been trying builds out with no sp invested. But. Nobody told me this frigging 'Mech cannot mount two energy or two ballistics in both upper torso hardpoints. God damn that blows.

#2 BattleSaint

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:25 PM

But it's shiny! You must buy more!!

#3 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

Everyone loves the cockpit, can we expect that on the crusader? Posted Image
No more tippy toe feet! It makes the battlemechs feel more anime like

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 13 November 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Sooo the VEagle. Fun to pilot, although I have lost many more matches so far than I've won, possibly because I have been trying builds out with no sp invested. But. Nobody told me this frigging 'Mech cannot mount two energy or two ballistics in both upper torso hardpoints. God damn that blows.

If you had paid attention to the reveal screenshots and the hardpoint numbers you would have guessed it already. Posted Image

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 November 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

If you had paid attention to the reveal screenshots and the hardpoint numbers you would have guessed it already. Posted Image

Thanks, tips! To clarify, I knew that the 'Mech was assymetrical with respect to ballistics, but it's also assymetrical with respect to energy hardpoints in the torsos. For example the VGL 1 can mount energy hardpoints in both torsos, but on the ballistic side, the energy hardpoint can never be on the higher mount, even with no ballistic mounted. It's annoying because it was very obviously a conscious decision to screw over a dual PPC build.

Edited by RickySpanish, 13 November 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#6 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:43 PM

The hardpoints are clearly stated on the order page.

#7 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:37 PM

Posted Image
I mean... if you really want to get technical, the LT laser is clearly in the top slot. just saying
I love my vapes though

#8 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:41 AM

As a non buyer of the mech my only experience with it is is shooting at them, sturdy little ******** go directly to my list of mechs to leg.

#9 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:51 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 13 November 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

Thanks, tips! To clarify, I knew that the 'Mech was assymetrical with respect to ballistics, but it's also assymetrical with respect to energy hardpoints in the torsos. For example the VGL 1 can mount energy hardpoints in both torsos, but on the ballistic side, the energy hardpoint can never be on the higher mount, even with no ballistic mounted. It's annoying because it was very obviously a conscious decision to screw over a dual PPC build.

Just as likely they saved time by not modelling every hardpoint in every position. Lazy? Efficient? You decide!

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:18 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 14 November 2018 - 01:51 AM, said:

Just as likely they saved time by not modelling every hardpoint in every position. Lazy? Efficient? You decide!

Gosh I had not thought of this. I'm smiling, but not on the inside.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:33 AM

View PostDarthHias, on 13 November 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

The hardpoints are clearly stated on the order page.
This reply is like rai-i-aaaain, on your wedding day...

#12 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

View PostBrizna, on 14 November 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

As a non buyer of the mech my only experience with it is is shooting at them, sturdy little ******** go directly to my list of mechs to leg.

Vapor eagle is definitely not little. This thing is so tall, damage splashes fairly easily on side torsos/arms but its such a big target so easy to hit from even far away.

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

View PostShanrak, on 14 November 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

Vapor eagle is definitely not little. This thing is so tall, damage splashes fairly easily on side torsos/arms but its such a big target so easy to hit from even far away.

My arms fall right off, it makes the 4, A and Rival rather difficult to pilot. Tis not a bad 'Mech on the whole though.

#14 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:43 AM

It's a great jack of all trades mech:

Great fire support mech with lots of hardpoints and tonnage, however lower mounts than dedicated fire support.
Great brawl mech, fast and can take plenty of light clan weapons, however no survival quirks
Great skirmisher, with mobility, JJs, and plenty of trading weapons, however no ECM

#15 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:32 AM

I'm unconvinced that the Vapor Eagle is outright superior to the Huntsman due to the difference in size and target profile for the gain of 5 tons and being a Battlemech. The Eagle is super easy to track and take apart visually.

#16 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

Look how freaking big it is compared to the awesome:

Posted Image

#17 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 14 November 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

I'm unconvinced that the Vapor Eagle is outright superior to the Huntsman due to the difference in size and target profile for the gain of 5 tons and being a Battlemech. The Eagle is super easy to track and take apart visually.

Agreed. I have had the most success with the 1, with its main weapons being a pair of ATM 9s and an ER PPC in its one good energy mount location (I believe only the 1 makes use of the upper torso location for its energy hardpoint). I have some medium lasers and machine guns to back it up, and spend as much time as possible switching between the PPC and ATMs. It's a decidedly bad brawler, and loses trades easily because it is enourmous. I think UAC 10s on the 1 would be quite good as well, but the other chassis I've simply failed to produce good results with.

#18 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

The arms come off pretty easy but I've just taken to aggressively twisting and being mindful not to leave myself exposed. Survival tree helped a lot.

Edited by TheArisen, 14 November 2018 - 01:23 PM.

#19 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 14 November 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

Lacking the Huntsman's severe crit slot limitations, especially in the side torsos, is a major advantage.

#20 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:01 AM

For me, it's the VGL-A that's is unsurprisingly cementing itself as my favorite of the bunch. Pilots well, with plenty of twist and turn speed to roll damage and track targets easily (I did invest in the mobility tree on this one) but also throws a hell of a punch with the 4xASRM6 + LB20 build.

I'll have to take out my VGL-1 at some point, currently loaded up with 4xMPL and a UAC10 which should work fine but hasn't been tested.

With the other variants being pretty similar to one another, I'd really like to have access to MRMs. ATMS are fun but it's just a little redundant to have on 2 variants of the same chassis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users