25 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:02 PM

A lot of the mechs that have been redesigned maintain a good look and feel, while few don't retain their TT visuals and look more like a failed attempt at futurism. Don't get me wrong, but Alex's art is amazing and the intricate detail he puts into his work is pleasing, but some of the mechs have been butchered.

There should be 6 concepts that should have an option for the community to vote for the best one, but it should be limited to the players who have more than 1k games to deny bot spamming

Posted Image

Mechs that suffer from uglification.
-------------------------------------------------
Atlas - Too bulky and huddled and disrespects the original Atlas and gives it barn-door treatment
Dragon - Too boxy and looks more like a baboon with the long face and arms
Panther - table feet and unbalanced look and the Wolfhound looks far more well made than this.
Vulcan - table feet and unbalanced
--------------------------------------------------

There are other mechs that are actually very well made. Either the 3D Modeler must be wearing some kaleidoscope glasses or near perfect mech modeling is impossible.
--------------------
Summoner - Dis-proportioned
Direcow - TOO BIG
Uziel -Poor thing
Chimpion - Everything but the big shovel hands are perfect
(Many more mechs here)

Edited by Armored Yokai, 13 November 2018 - 10:04 PM.

#2 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:00 AM

No.

Not even a hard decision. Lol.

#3 Abaddun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:03 AM

Pointless waste of resources on something the community doesn't care about.

#4 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:14 AM

As nice as it sounds, I'm sure most will agree they'd rather just have the 'mech come out quicker.

Also

View PostArmored Yokai, on 13 November 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

There should be 6 concepts that should have an option for the community to vote for the best one, but it should be limited to the players who have more than 1k games to deny bot spamming

A spending threshold would be my take - don't spend that moolah, don't get to vote.

#5 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:22 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 14 November 2018 - 02:14 AM, said:

As nice as it sounds, I'm sure most will agree they'd rather just have the 'mech come out quicker.

Also

A spending threshold would be my take - don't spend that moolah, don't get to vote.

It's still a terrible idea. This is the mwo playerbase we're talking about.

You give us 6 mech designs to choose from, get ready for 5 out of 6 players to cancel their pre-orders because "i wanted the round gun barrels, not the hexagonal ones". Or "voting with my wallet. Missile pods too wide".

"Guns too long". "Legs seem a bit off".

Alex and the art team will do 6 times the work for 1/6th of the take. Considering that's pgi's one real major source of income, that's gonna cause some real problems.

#6 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:12 AM

Why is it that original artworks on tabletop games looks like a 10 year old freestyle doodle . Not only battletech but also dungeons and dragons .

The mechs have defiantly improved over time for the better .

#7 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:23 AM

I think an artist, or a team of artists, needs to have the freedom to design and implement their vision without worrying about how other might interpret their work.

This isn't to say they shouldn't listen to feedback and keep that in mind going forward, but ultimately they need to feel as though they are truly free to put their mark on their work.

That work might not always be how some would do things, however there is a lot of people with a lot of differing opinions, so good chance things would still get implemented that might not be to some peoples' liking anyway.

Overall, experience the assets as the artist has intended them. Feel free to critique and offer feedback of course, but let them do their work and appreciate what they are trying to do (even if it isn't something that you may not occasionally agree with). That artist interpretation is what gives the product it's flavor after all.

#8 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:51 AM

Pfft as if the artwork on sarna is terrible and hasnt aged well at all.

Also this a non-issue pretty much all the mechs look fine, also who are we to decide what the art team does for their job by some random person on the internet. Especially since every fool will point out at least one thing they dont like about the mech and then complain about it delaying whatever mech too come for a very long time if not indefinitely.

#9 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:34 AM

A lot of the mechs that have been redesigned maintain a good look and feel, while few don't retain their TT visuals and look more like a failed attempt at futurism. Don't get me wrong, but Alex's art is amazing and the intricate detail he puts into his work is pleasing, but some of the mechs have been butchered.

Posted Image

Atlas - Too bulky and huddled and disrespects the original Atlas and gives it barn-door treatment
Panther - table feet and unbalanced look and the Wolfhound looks far more well made than this.

There are other mechs that are actually very well made. Either the 3D Modeler must be wearing some kaleidoscope glasses or near perfect mech modeling is impossible.
--------------------
Direcow - TOO BIG
Uziel -Poor thing
(Many more mechs here)
OP: You know what a camel is right?

It's a horse built by committee.

So unless you want every 'mech to look like a camel, let's not do this...

#10 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:06 AM

Actually, none of the Mechs you mentioned I have issues with. Atlas is and had been pretty consistent portrayed throughout different game iterations. I have no issue with dragons or panthers.

Stylistically, I like how Mechs from the older gen is such contrasting with Mechs from newer gen like vapor eagle and incubus. It's very fitting to a lore tech development standpoint. It's as if techs are evolving right in front of our eyes.

With that said, I have issues with some of the older techs like banshee and highlander because they look so ridiculously similar. Thats why one of my older thread, I once raised the topic of older Mech redesign and retrograde as new gen interpretation. But the idea was received fairly negatively by these people.

As for voting out of 6, it's 100 percent pointless unless 6 design are radically different from each other. Otherwise, like someone said earlier, what's the point of arguing for a hexagon barrel vs a round barrel? But even doing so will just split and anger preorder crowd because different designs will have different backers.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:06 AM

LET THE COMMUNITY DECIDE...

I'm gonna have to stop you right there.

#12 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:25 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 14 November 2018 - 02:22 AM, said:

Alex and the art team will do 6 times the work for 1/6th of the take.

I think Alex has to do 3-6 sketches for each mech anyways and we can start from there.
I know a few people that haven't bought a mechpack just because of the looks.

#13 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

--------------------
Direcow - TOO BIG
Uziel -Poor thing
(Many more mechs here)

Definitely agree on the Summoner. I loved the design in MW3, but something about it in MWO has always thrown me off--either the modeling (CT too big?) or the way it moves. Just looks silly to me. Very disappointing.

But yea, I agree w/ everyone else here that this is a bad proposal. On the face of it (c.f. El Bandito's reply) but also b/c I think MWO art and modeling team are generally very on point.

View PostArmored Yokai, on 14 November 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

I think Alex has to do 3-6 sketches for each mech anyways and we can start from there.

...and also a LOT of people have bought a 'mechpack just because of the looks.

I think it evens out.

#14 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

Oh plz no! No good will come out of something like this. True there are a few mechs who's original art is far superior to the mwo model (e.g. Fafnir). The lazy mech part and animation recycling is debatable but over all Alex and the design team is doing an awesome job.

#15 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:36 AM

Meh, I don't know why everyone is shooting down OP's idea. Maybe perhaps not a drastic over hall all the mechs in the game, but I for one would like to see some reskinned mechs that would be more akin to TT and different eras and such. Like for example a re-imagined primitive Warhammer reskin pack, but I would rather see if PGI did a poll only after they exhausted all the new mechs that the community wants in the game. There is still a rather large number of mechs that people still want so it might be awhile before we see redesigned visuals or optional mech skin packs.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 14 November 2018 - 10:37 AM.

#16 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:47 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 14 November 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

There is still a rather large number of mechs that people still want so it might be awhile before we see redesigned visuals or optional mech skin packs.

Mechpacks (V) for Vintage
Atlas (V)
Dragon (V)
Jenner (V)
Centurion (V)

#17 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

View PostAbaddun, on 14 November 2018 - 02:03 AM, said:

Pointless waste of resources

Absolutely this. Resources ought to be allocated towards current pains.

#18 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

I wouldn't mind tweaks and touchups, but not micromanaging every little appearance detail
Trying to please and appeal to the community with the designs kind of defeats the purpose of hiring an artist.

As an artist myself, I know how frustrating it is to have people want to change everything you have done and basically strip away any freedom you had

There are dozens of different reference materials that make the same mechs look different. Kind of defeats the purpose of having an artist/art team when you try to appeal to a community interpretation...not to mention it disrupts the workflow and convolutes things

If its ugly - I wont buy it. If it looks good - I might. Thats pretty good motivation already

#19 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:34 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 14 November 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

Probably a lot higher. Vicinity of 10-20 maybe. The problem.is that not all sketches are equal. Out of those 10-20, maybe 2 are workable and unique enough to be considered.

At about 1 new presentable mech design a month, the art team is already working at breakneck speed. You're proposing six.

"Yeah but he can just show us 6 of the sketches he already does."

No. It doesn't work that way.

Not all designs are created equal.

If he just threw six sketches up and asked you to choose, it's gonna be on his head if you pick a design that looks good initially, but can't fit weapon syatems elegantly, has an issue with the way the legs would animate, has derpy hardpoints etc. And now because you picked it, he has to stay the dead end course and the result of that is often something mediocre.

Alex has been doing a consistently great job on modernizing the source material. I can count the ugly mechs in this game on one hand. My 2c is that we should just let him keep doing what he's doing.

#20 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

If the 3d models looked like the concept art there would be no problem

The issue isnt picking the wrong concept art, its the 3d modelers doing crappy translations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users