Which Piranha?

22 replies to this topic

#1 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:34 PM

If you were going to get a piranha which one would you get and why? What would you avoid and why? I'm going to get one but wanted to know suggestions.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:04 PM

The quad AMS one is a joke. Triple AMS Kitfox shoots down far more missiles thanks to quirks and deeper ammo bins.

#3 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

Piranha-1 is the classic MG boat that the brown sea complains about all the time. Piranha-2 has become relevant since micro lasers got their own ghost heat grouping and grouping increased. Piranha-3 has one less energy mount than the 2, but more structure quirks. The hero CI is a mix of MG and laser mounts, kind of a 1-2 hybrid.

I would get either the 1 or the 2, depending on whether you want to boat MGs, or boat micro lasers/SPL.

Edited by Vxheous, 13 November 2018 - 11:09 PM.

#4 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

1 2 3 A and Cipher are the best choices, the B is just lacking and is out classedby the Cipher that does what it does but way better.

Also Spheroid you can do 8 MG+ 3x H,ERSL, since quad ams is just a gimmick and a side option at best.

#5 HammerSmythe

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:11 PM

How hard do want to have to work? I have three. My personal impression is that the -1 is easiest. Never have to worry about heat, just ammo. Hard to get kills solo as you burn through ammo too quick if you have to open armor first, but it is scary how quick you can drop mechs that are already open.

The -2 is a bit harder for me. I'm not as good at putting in an alpha then scramming. If you stay engaged you have to pay close attention to heat and it feels like most other mechs can handle you if that first alpha doesn't cripple them.

I also picked up the Cipher, figuring that would be a good balance between the MG and laser extremes. I find that by not boating one or the other, I just end up annoying other mechs rather than truly threatening them. I have to really be on my game to do well in this one.

#6 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:02 AM

Pir 1 is the best. Just wait for mechs to drop some armor before attacking. Pir 3 is next the extra armor is worth 1 less laser.

4ams isn't any good because you dont have weight for ammo.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 14 November 2018 - 12:05 AM.

#7 Merlin Kell

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:10 AM

Just purchased a PIR-3 with 14 ER MICRO Lasers ... better than any other light that isnt the PIR-1

Edited by Merlin Kell, 14 November 2018 - 04:10 AM.

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:13 AM

View PostMerlin Kell, on 14 November 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

Just purchased a PIR-3 with 14 ER MICRO Lasers ... better than any other light that isnt the PIR-1

You're doing it wrong, you should try 10 ER micro + 4 small pulse gives you 40 alpha with no ghost heat, ~35% of your heat bar, and cycles really fast. It also kills PIR-1's since you can 1 shot their legs off before they can MG your legs off.

Edited by Vxheous, 14 November 2018 - 04:24 AM.

#9 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:02 AM

Why pick one? They are pretty cheap all things considered.

#10 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:12 AM

The PIR-2 is the most fun, IMO. If you sneak up behind someone, you can one-shot clan heavies like ebon jags or hellbringers in the back. I run mine with 10 er micro, and 5 er small. You can alpha like 3 times before overheating, each alpha being 50 damage. Since the lasers have such a short burn time it's not hard to hold it on a single component, so you can rip enemies apart with it.

The PIR-1 is still very good too, but it just isn't as fun as the PIR-2.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:30 AM

Get the 1, it's all about ripping up internals baby.

#12 Merlin Kell

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:49 AM

View PostVxheous, on 14 November 2018 - 04:13 AM, said:

You're doing it wrong, you should try 10 ER micro + 4 small pulse gives you 40 alpha with no ghost heat, ~35% of your heat bar, and cycles really fast. It also kills PIR-1's since you can 1 shot their legs off before they can MG your legs off.

On paper trading what seems like infinite firing for an extra 6.4 alpha doesn't seem worth it but i will give it a shot.

#13 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:00 AM

View PostMerlin Kell, on 14 November 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

On paper trading what seems like infinite firing for an extra 6.4 alpha doesn't seem worth it but i will give it a shot.

Biggest difference is you can alpha strike it. 14 er micros will trigger ghost heat and be hot. 10 er micros + small pulse, er small, or heavy small is zero ghost heat.

#14 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

View PostMerlin Kell, on 14 November 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

You want to show up behind a big mech and dump a 40 alpha into his back CT then duck before they realise what's happened. Having a higher alpha lets you do that more effectively, it's what makes the PIR-2/3 different than the PIR-1. If they don't turn, the 2nd 40 alpha will kill most mechs outright while 2 30 alphas might not.

#15 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostVxheous, on 14 November 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

You want to show up behind a big mech and dump a 40 alpha into his back CT then duck before they realise what's happened. Having a higher alpha lets you do that more effectively, it's what makes the PIR-2/3 different than the PIR-1. If they don't turn, the 2nd 40 alpha will kill most mechs outright while 2 30 alphas might not.

Your reasoning sounds the best. So your saying the pir3?

#16 Merlin Kell

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:11 AM

View PostVxheous, on 14 November 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

Appreciate the advice !

#17 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:23 AM

View Posteishiba, on 14 November 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

Your reasoning sounds the best. So your saying the pir3?

Keep in mind that that 40 point alpha has the stipulation that you actually strike your target. If you miss you have dumped a fair bit of heat into your 'Mech. The PIR 1 doesn't overheat as easily, so your performance there will be more consistent. Although you can certainly run out of ammo. I tend to eat laser PIRs in my 1, as that theoretically deadly 40 point hit to my legs more often than not, materialises mostly across the ground or into thin air. The machine guns though will just keep on truckin'.

#18 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:47 AM

My Fave is the 1.
HOwever, I run with 12 MG and 2 HML. I think it's important to have lasers to help strip armor and not sunk cost your heat capacity. All MG builds are simply weaker. I went with HML because I like to poke (I play Pirate's bane a lot, it's natural for me), but HSL or ERSL are fine too.

#19 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

Pir 1; the original potato peeler. Pull up behind someone and aim for their right torso. If you take everything in that component away before they react move to match their turn and begin farmage, you just found a spud my little farmer.

Pir 2 and 3 have just about identical play. It's all about stacking the maximum amount of er micros with your choice of small class pulse, heavy, or er lasers. Personally think they are best used for beating the brakes off of the PIR 1. If you're playing with the er smalls one leg them, if isolated move out beyond max mg range and begin farming because scissors beat paper.

Edited by Prototelis, 14 November 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#20 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 13 November 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

Also Spheroid you can do 8 MG+ 3x H,ERSL, since quad ams is just a gimmick and a side option at best.

Yeah but I can still fit three energy weapons on the 1 and still get more dps than your build. I would only consider that build if I was having ammo problems with the 10 mg build, which I generally don't. I run 2x erslas + 1 hslas vs. your 3x hslas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users