• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:16 AM

I have been playing MWO for years and years. And sometimes I get these
Bad streaks. It's not that I'm not doing good damage it's that
I'm dying more than I normally do. It's a broad subject and sort
Of Noonish of me and I don't ask for advice often.

So I thought I would get some opinions from you pilots.

Let's start with The Rifleman..of course I'm using The New
Loyalty Rifleman 8D (L).
My build is not stock. Wasn't feeling the Rotaries. So I put
2 LBX 10s
4 Medium Lasers.
Heat management is good. 1.45 out of 2.

It's more of a Shoot and cover type build. But the Rifleman has
A specific Design. And I'm wondering what I should try to do
Different in this while In battle.
Any Rifleman Pilots out there I would love to hear how you
Pilot yours.

There are alot of mechs that I know how to handle and how to use
Them and what role they should play and so on and so forth

But another mech I seem to be having trouble with is The
Night Gyr.
The loyalty one. (Night Gyr - H (L)

I love this one too. It does have an odd loadout tho for a clan
Heavy. Being only 2 Ballistic and 2 Energy.
And one of those Energy hard points is in the head (which
Only has one slot for an energy weapon) so
One of your energy weapons can't be anything higher than a
Er large laser. And I know it's an omnimech and I can just
Switch out the omnipods for something I prefer. But
I like showcasing Variants how they come.

Anyways. My Night Gyr Build is simple
2 UAC 10s
2 ER Large lasers
Quircked the hell out of this one
Heat management is great.
And ECM woohoo!

Any Night Gyr Pilots who have some tips on this bad boy
Let me know.

My problem with The night Gyr is similar to the Rifleman.
It's rather easy to rack up some really good damage but
I am slacking on the "staying alive" department.
I might need to stop pushing ahead to the front lines so
Often. I get Antsy. I don't like sitting there for five minutes hiding
Behind a Wall or Hill or Building. And I know sometimes you
Have to play it that way. I'm not going to run out into the open
Like an idiot. Or I'm not going to just push without my team.

It's something else. Maybe I'm not being cautious enough.
Watch in a few days I'll have my groove back and be killing it.
This happens to me once a month for usually a whole week.

Alright anything you guys want to share on The Rifleman
And Night Gyr feel free. How do you pilot them?

Fuzzy Nova out

#2 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:54 PM

Hey so I can give you my perspective on the Rifleman

If you like that build with LBX10s and lasers, I recommend getting the Legend Killer as it has very good quirks for that loadout. It does mean shelling out some cash, but maybe you can save up your event MC and get it while on sale

In general the Rifleman is a fire support mech, and although it can take a few hits, its not a brawler. Better to save your armor for trading at mid range
You shoot enemies who are shooting your friends, hopefully assaults. Thats probably why the loyalty one comes stock with RACs - its the ultimate support weapon (shoot cockpits with staggered fire) - though i prefer the 3N for that. Velocity is everything

AC5s, AC10s, PPCs, these are all good weapons...but if you die early with LBX10s, you miss the biggest benefit of late game crits.
The arms are great and wonderful for taking the high ground where your enemies can't shoot back. Also it has nice high arms that let you peek over hills to shoot. Better to peek over hills than around corners if you are using both arms.

Basically just follow some simple rules
Focus on supporting the team. Particularly assaults (shoot at what they shoot at and what is shooting at them)
Don't push too far forward to the front line or lag behind with "snipers syndrome"
Try not to get into a brawl, but don't afraid to take some hits (you are a heavy mech after all)
Know where enemies will come from and be at optimal range when they get there

thats all I got

I mostly play brawlers but my Riflemans are not and they are some of my highest K/D mechs

Edited by Gristle Missile, 15 November 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#3 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:16 PM

As the above said, the rifleman is a fire support build. There are other variants better suited to LBXs if that's your bag. The new variant is the only one with ballistic quirks that are really only suited to RACs (or MGs). RACs don't benefit from cooldown quirks and UAC anti-jam quirks don't benefit them either. Since PGI has all the chassis for the mechs which are out as loyalty prizes on 50% off sale in-game store right now, its a good time to buy the other variants. The 3N has a 15% ballistic cooldown, 20% velocity and 10% range. And an extra 5% cooldown for AC/5s. The 3C has a total 20% ballistic range so its well suited to LB-2s and 5s.

Night gyrs are burdened by a lack of hard points which can be used for the tonnage, as well as a lack of crit spaces given that they're carrying Endo, FF armor and 4 jump jets. They're also tall, have zero structure/armor quirks, and have terrible agility. at one time, when their agility was the same as an Orion 2C, they were a good alternative to them, or to Kodiaks in a drop deck. Then they went and crippled their agility, and turned off a lot of customers (that and nerfing kodiaks and now annihilators... its little wonder the player population has shrunk in half in 2 years). About the only two builds I've found for the loyalty gyr have been to ignore the heavy laser part of the set of 8 quirks, and carry a pair of ER large lasers and two autocannons. Either LB10s with 5 tons of ammo and use it as a mid-range fire support mech, or a pair of C-AC/5s with 8 tons of ammo and a TC3 and use if for long range sniping. FORTUNATELY because the ecm is in a side torso pod, if the game is still around in a year, people who own gyrs can buy those pods then and put ECM on all their gyrs.

#4 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:03 AM

The rifleman has really never been my bag, so i'll skip it for now.

The Night Gyr though - That thing can be a real beast if you find a loadout that works for you. Since it lacks the durability of most of the pure Dakka-Boats, your goal should either be to get far enough away from people that you out-range them, or have a build that utilizes those Jets and makes a good pop-Tart. A 2xGauss, 2xERLL build works well on it, and is probably your best bet to start with here. (Especially since you can run the ECM with it.) I've also gotten a 2xUAC10, 2xPPC build to work, where you Pop-tart, doubletap+PPC a guy for 70, then move around for the next shot.

I've also seen some Pop-Tart ATM48 builds, and 5xAC2 builds also work surprisingly well, but they may have just been the player more than the build.

Edited by Daurock, 16 November 2018 - 08:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users