Disconnect And Mwo Ports

10 replies to this topic

#1 Nauticius

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

I could not play the game. I would login, enter Quick Play, vote for a map and game mode, but would be disconnected from the game server when the match started. Everytime.

This monday I opened a ticket with technical support, but I havent had any response yet. I understand that it can take a while. However, I am being penalized as if I was leaving matches on purpose. At least lift my penalty for disconnection.

After so many tries to come up with a solution I was able to play the game. I forwarded all ports to my PC. Opened them all. Now I can play the game.

After that I tried to open only the mwo ports. Supposedly:

TCP 45461
TCP 45464
UDP 21000 to 30000

and

TCP 8346
TCP 8344
TCP 8337
UDP 63397

As is told here: https://mwomercs.com...07-port-tpcudp/

I am really not tech savvy. Just want to play the game without exposing too much my PC.

So could someone tell me the ports that mwo use?

Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit 1: When I try to forward only those supposed mwo ports, I cant play the game.

Edited by Nauticius, 15 November 2018 - 06:11 PM.

#2 GabiSky

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

I'm having the same issue.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:30 PM

Go to Windows Firewall in Control Panel

Advanced

Add a rule for

MWOClient.exe

Should work

#4 Nauticius

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:44 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 15 November 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Go to Windows Firewall in Control Panel

Advanced

Add a rule for

MWOClient.exe

Should work

It did not work.

There was already a rule there for mwo client.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6185450

Location and ISP?
Wired or Wireless?
Test by utilizing VPN. VPN could potentially allow you to bypass problematic router systems or throttling software/blockage setup.

Edit.

I really need to read the post completely

Are you using a gateway (combo Router/Modem) or a router and modem (separate devices)?

What is the brand and model of the gateway or router?

And as a double check, if it is separate devices, confirm that the modem is just there, a modem and not a gateway. Running a router and a gateway could generate double-NAT problems. Again, a gateway is a combo modem AND router, the ability to connect more than one device to it without using a router.

Does the time of day have any effect?

Are you sharing your connection with others/family and are they streaming movies, etc?

For your ports, you do mean opening them up in your router, correct? Instead of opening up the ports, test this first. Disable the router's "Security". This does not disable NAT (hardware) but disables the router's secondary software firewall. It was originally called SPI or stateful packet inspection. If you do not have a consistent connection, ie high jitter or high packet loss or packets being held up before being released, that secondary "firewall" believes it is under attack and closes that port temporary, resulting in you being disconnected from the game.

Also if running wireless that can add to the issue, especially if there is interference or there is not a good connection, etc.

So, if wireless to router, wire it up and test. Disable the router security feature, SPI, etc. If successful you can try setting up port triggering instead of having staying open. Port Triggering keeps the ports open while they are being used by the program then close up.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 16 November 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#6 PocketAces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet nowhere

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:10 AM

Having the same issue, and half my mechs are missing?

#7 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

MWO shouldnt require extra firewall rules, like ports, to function ... setting up a port through your firewall is generally only used if your client is to be a a host and have random people from the internet connecting to it ... MWO isnt coded like that, all communication goes to their servers, and should easily be granted by correctly setup firewalls because you should be on the trusted side .... beyond that if your on a restrictive firewall that doesnt grant you access, your probably not meant to be playing games on it ...

#8 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:08 PM

I've run this game from ,3G and 4G mobile connections, adsl and fibre optic and in my view the biggest factor affecting disconnections and rubber banding is jitter.

Jitter is variation of ping.

Best way to test this is to saturate your network connection whilst monitoring your ping.

1) To do this open a command window
2) Open your browser and go to a networking speed testing website like http://www.speedtest.net/
3) In the command window type the following
ping -n 300 8.8.8.8 and press enter
4) Start the speed test in your web browser.

5) While the speed test is running monitor the variation in ping in the command window.

Don't fuss about how big or small the ping is, what is important is the change/variance in ping for this test.

Ideally ping will remain the same throughout the speed test. Some jitter is acceptable but once it gets over a certain amount it will definitely affect your MWO experience.

<5ms variation = excellent connection, no disconnects, very rare or no rubber-banding.
20-50ms = decent connection, occasional disconnects, rubber-banding on fast lights like commandoes
> 75 variation in ping under load means more disconnects and ruber-banding depending on the level of jitter.

So what can you do?
Check google, its a big subject for one forum post.

But some quick things to check are:

Your network cables could be faulty, frayed, old, try another one and test again.
Your adsl filter is faulty, try another one and test again.
Your router or modem is playing up, borrow a friends and see if it make a difference.
Your using wifi, ethernet is much better in regard to jitter
The connection between you and your ISP is suboptimal ) ask ISP to look into it.
Your routers quality of service/Congestion control settings are sub-optimal

Removing the jitter removes the problems in my experience.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 18 November 2018 - 06:16 PM.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

Until he replies back, opening ports, port triggering, etc is likely being done on the router/gateway and not on the computer itself.

MWO, afaik uses both TCP and UDP packets. UDP packets though have no defined destination, and if the routing connection is bad and packets get hung up then released all within a very short period of time, etc, the router/gateway secondary firewall will see it as an attack and temporarily closes that port, leading to being disconnected. The port being closed can be to the game server itself or to MWO main authorization server. The game server will usually kick him back to the front end, whereas the main server may see a total disconnect, forcing him to log back into the game.

Consumer routers with SPI were a gamer's nightmare at times when they first started to be sold. Many routers can get around it with either Game mode and/or UPnP while leaving secondary software "firewall/security" on the router active. Other times port forwarding or port triggering, helps bypass NAT and the secondary software firewall/security, or disabling that secondary firewall/security item. If a game allows (Daybreak Games ie Everquest, Planetside 2, etc do not allow it-bannable offense), also when using VPN then UDP packets are not being sniffed and could also help bypass problematic router systems.

Other factors may be at play but the player will have to troubleshoot and work through it.

#10 Jaksh Eet

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:33 AM

I recently had an issue like this were I was able to log into the game and vote on a match, but when it was time for the READY screen, it would stay black for a few seconds then dump me back to the Mechlab area and say I was disconnected from the game server. Then it lets you try to reconnect to your match but then the same thing happens.

My solution was I had to increase the UDP port ranges on my hardware firewall for my home network. This was a supprise as the old settings worked just fine till the day this issue started. Here are the port settings I now use that resolved the issue.

TCP 45461
TCP 45464
UDP 21000 to 30000 <---- Old Range
UDP 18000 to 35000 <--- New Range that fixed my issues

Hope this helps people like it helped me and save on aggravations.

#11 W4S4B1

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 10:10 PM

Hello

Today from 5:30 to 7:00 CET I had 6 connection lost, not the game servers but the authentication server (192.99.109.129). I monitoring the connection to the game and authentication server quite a while and when a connection lost occurs, there are no signs of net problems, no packet loss, no abnormal high ping ect (ping to the authentication server most around 91-93 ms and sometimes up to 115 ms / european game server around 8 ms and north american around 110 ms).

Most of the time there's not the smallest problem, but sometimes there are connection lost and often several times in a short time period (when taking a closer look, more often on the weekend). It`s frustrating and disappointing and MWO is the only game I play with this problem.

Greetings
N3WB1E

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users