Event Rewards - Improvements

12 replies to this topic

#1 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:59 AM

The other day a friend and I were talking about how all the events these days seem "Samey." Almost across the board these days, the events basically boiled down to "Play this, get C-Bills + Cosmetics/MC." Only once in a blue moon, we found that we had an event that gave something else, and those were nearly always the more interesting ones. (A camo pattern, Full mech, XL engine, etc) Not only were they usually the largest rewards, but they ALSO were the ones that were the most varied and unique to a challenge.

From that, A suggestion that was made was that one way to improve the reward structure. Specifically, moving away from Straight C-Bills as the norm, and more towards Some equipment as replacing MC as the normal reward. For example, instead of an event like "Shoot down 1,000 Missiles, get 250k C-Bills+50MC" you have instead, "Shoot down 1,000 Missiles, get a LAMS+50MC." Since a LAMS usually runs for about 450k, if you don't want it, you can still easily sell it back for 225k. However, the reward matches the challenge more closely, and allows a player that really does want that LAMS a chance to gun specifically for it.

Another example - Instead of the Currently running Mech Challenge's 1.5 million C-Bill Reward- which is the same for ALL of them- you could have the rewards being either an Engine, (Smallish XL for the Javelin, maybe a big LFE for the Warhammer) multiple Omni-Pods, (For the Night Gyr) or even a set of heavy Weapons (For the Marauder, or Gyr) Ideally, you have the SELL Value of the equipment roughly match what the current C-Bill rewards are.

This would have a 2-fold improvement - First, since the reward is now something more varied, instead of a dozen rewards that are the same, it gives at least a little feeling of direction when you're grinding out the 17th of 20 challenges. (It also gives you a reason to gun for specific ones, instead of whichever ones are easiest to go for.) Second, since the equipment is something not everyone needs, those that need to "Catch up" can do so more easily this way. Those that don't need the extra equipment aren't hurt either, as they simply can Sell the equipment, and end up exactly where they are now.

Now, I don't think that this will by itself solve a all of problems, but it would still be an improvement. Thoughts?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:23 AM

I'd rather take the C-Bills over something that I might not need. That probably goes double for C-Bill strapped newbies.

#3 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:30 AM

This is a bad idea. Good builds require a synergy of all the components, trying to build a mech around an engine you got for free will mostly just result in more bad mechs on the field

We already get enough "Congratulations! You've won LRM-5" from the stupid supply caches, and having to occasionally go back in inventory and sell all this garbage is annoying enough as it is

#4 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

I think the idea is a good one. It DOES accomplish the purpose of having more variety in rewards. It also keeps the same value for most people, while having a potentially higher value if you determine it's something you actually want. Smart.

Also. "Wahh I'd have to sell the item, wahh. I'm to lazy to do a simple, easy task."
Selling things is not that hard. I'm always strapped for c-bills so I would know. I regularly go into the inventory and sell things for that bit extra I need. Again. NOT. DIFFICULT.

Good idea is legitimately good. Posted Image

#5 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 November 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

I'd rather take the C-Bills over something that I might not need. That probably goes double for C-Bill strapped newbies.

^Same here and without these CBill events I wouldn't buy stuff for fun like clan XL400 (+6.5mil cbills)

Also if the normal cbill events are gone then the interesting events would probably become boring fairly quick.
imo what makes the interesting events interesting, is that they aren't the norm events.

#6 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

View PostAkillius, on 16 November 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

^Same here and without these CBill events I wouldn't buy stuff for fun like clan XL400 (+6.5mil cbills)

Also if the normal cbill events are gone then the interesting events would probably become boring fairly quick.
imo what makes the interesting events interesting, is that they aren't the norm events.

Imagine if they took the current 3 mil Veagle challenge, and instead handed out the XL 400 engine as the reward for a moment. A huge reward like that is something you can gun for, use if you think it's fun, or sell if you won't use, or already have. It's not out of the realm of possibility either, as they had an XL350 as a reward not too long ago. (This is actually where the conversation my buddy and i had on this came from in the first place.)

At absolute worst, a person occasionally has to go through their armory every month or so and sell bigger stuff, in addition to the small-fry stuff they already are selling, which don't make sense to give as an award anyway. (since to make 150k, you'd have to have a reward of like 15 small lasers or Mgs which is a little laughable, and isn't a good candidate as a normal reward)

Edited by Daurock, 16 November 2018 - 09:27 AM.

#7 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

View PostGamuray, on 16 November 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

I think the idea is a good one. It DOES accomplish the purpose of having more variety in rewards. It also keeps the same value for most people, while having a potentially higher value if you determine it's something you actually want. Smart.

Also. "Wahh I'd have to sell the item, wahh. I'm to lazy to do a simple, easy task."
Selling things is not that hard. I'm always strapped for c-bills so I would know. I regularly go into the inventory and sell things for that bit extra I need. Again. NOT. DIFFICULT.

Good idea is legitimately good. Posted Image

If you really want to add a mindless, time wasting, menial task to getting your c-bills from events, I guess.....this could be time people would actually....you know play the game

#8 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:25 AM

I do like the camo rewards but C-bills will always be more welcome than anything else.

#9 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 16 November 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

This is a bad idea. Good builds require a synergy of all the components, trying to build a mech around an engine you got for free will mostly just result in more bad mechs on the field

We already get enough "Congratulations! You've won LRM-5" from the stupid supply caches, and having to occasionally go back in inventory and sell all this garbage is annoying enough as it is

Realistically, I don't See it taking over all of the C-Bill rewards anyway. Once you get down to the below 200k or so, C-Bills probably DO make more sense than handing out 6 more medium lasers when you have 30 already in your armory. The thing I've noticed though, is that for most of the big-ticket weapons, I STILL could use plenty more of them, even after having a respectable stable of mechs.

As for bad mechs with bad engines - This happens already, usually because they can't buy an engine at all. A C-Bill reward will get you there part way, yes, and obviously, the ideal engine is best, but i'd rather be seeing a player roll with a reward LFE 250 than a STD 240 (For example) in their mech while they're saving up the other half of the cash they need for the Ideal LFE 300.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

Or...
Frame the event as an assault on a factory and the team that wins gets the spoils, so in that case, engines. Would be better if we had maps that had an objective like attack or defend a structure (not faction play).

So long as it's not all the time, and just special times.

#11 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

Personally, I would love the idea if the quest rewards were not just normal gear you can buy with CBills anyway, but slightly better versions of the normal equipment. I dunno, do a laser damage event and get one medium laser that has a 1% longer range, or 1% less heat requirements. Or allow you 1 additional skillpoint.
It should not be large enough to completely upset what balance we currently have. But enough that if you have a full Mech using this captured gear, it would be slightly better than one fresh from the factory.

#12 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 16 November 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

Or...
Frame the event as an assault on a factory and the team that wins gets the spoils, so in that case, engines. Would be better if we had maps that had an objective like attack or defend a structure (not faction play).

So long as it's not all the time, and just special times.

I like it. Gives some "Lore" aspects, and even works in a little bit of the traditional battletech "Salvage" flavor. Even works well for a FW campaign really, if you frame it that way. (They talked at length on the faction update about having branching campaigns, this could add extra flavor to something like a "Seige the castle" campaign.)

Edited by Daurock, 16 November 2018 - 11:06 AM.

#13 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:28 PM

For faction play events they could go on and say those who were on the winning side for a majority of the time and hit a certain level of participation is reached, those players will get discounts on faction flavor mechs, camos, paints, and other cosmetics.

As for "Salvage" that won't work till PGI says fine cross tech is here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users