3 replies to this topic

#1 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

Now that the Clans have another 55 ton mech, I wonder if we’ll be seeing some in scouting.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#2 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:26 AM

Bah! I was having a quiet day and now you have me thinking about stuff! Shame on... someone... Posted Image
Well I'm a Ghost Bear Warrior and therefore slow to change and Solahma on top of that... so I think the VGL has to prove itself, yet.

In quickplay it is a blast, because for once you can scale down the oversized engines that clan mechs often come with to add more firepower. Posted Image

In scouting however dropping the engine rating may leave you way too slow on large maps.
Add to that that scouting is mostly brawl fighting. The hardpoints of the VGLs in most cases are not suited for "extreme builds" (energy, missile boating) that said brawl mechs regularly come with.

With a big engine the VGL has difficulties to compete with the Ice Ferret and its high speed and structure quirks (and ECM).
Move at Stormcrow speeds and the VGL will not be able to boat missiles or energy as well as the SCR.
At slower speeds it might be a valid replacement for the HBK-IIC or the NVA, although you are not able to mount 2 LB20-X or 12 lasers. I'm thinking specifically about the VGL-A (XL300, LB20, 4 SRM6) here.

It does bring jump jets to the table. Even though that's nice to have it does not offset the difficulties the VGL has regarding scouting brawl builds.
I think the VGLs "suffer" like the TBRs do -> They're a swiss army knife. You can do a lot with them, but they do not go to the extreme like some other mechs. That being said I don't think they will be bad at scouting. It will come down to build and the (un)skilled hands of the pilot. Posted Image

Edited by Brethren, 22 November 2018 - 08:02 AM.

#3 Psykmoe

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:28 AM

I dunno, cramming an LBX20 and 4 SRM6 onto a 55 ton medium and still going like 95 kph seems pretty extreme. That's a hell of a punch, although the missiles are all in the arms on the VGL-A.

#4 BlakLanner

• Pip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

If only you could actually go that fast. With LBX20/SRM24 and a 310XL engine, you can only hit 91.3 assuming max armor and no heat sinks (which will overheat the mech fast). Dropping the engine to a 300XL will get you two heat sinks and a speed of 88.3, but we are starting to get awfully close to Orion IIC level speed but with nowhere near the survivability. You can fit 5 jump jets by dropping to a 280XL, but then you are barely moving faster than said Orion.

Perhaps for scouting only you can shave ammo to make up for some of it but that seems to be an awfully specific use case for the mech. If you aren't going to take advantage of the speed and/or jump ability on the mech, why not just take a Hunchback IIC or Stormcrow?

Edit: If you don't really need jump, you can go LBX20, 4SRM4, and a 330XL engine with 3 tons of SRM ammo and 2 tons of LBX ammo, enough for a 4v4.

Edited by BlakLanner, 30 January 2019 - 04:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users