Better Loadout Ideas?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Picard90

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

I am still relatively new to the game, but I purchased MC and got a bonus light mech, a Javelin with 6 ballistic and 1 energy hardpoints. I decided to get rid of snub ppc and replaced mgs with 6 hmgs, so far it's been good for me.

But do you have better suggestions for loadout? What about skills? Right now I am investing in survival and mobility, figuring that both areas are essential to surviving in light mechs. Do you agree?

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:57 PM

Hi Picard90,

A lot of players are running that Javelin with two MPL's and six machine guns. As for the skill tree, generally speaking, it is more useful to max out speed tweak in the mobility tree rather than maxing out armor since a light mech's best defense is speed.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 Picard90

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:12 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 21 November 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

Hi Picard90,

A lot of players are running that Javelin with two MPL's and six machine guns. As for the skill tree, generally speaking, it is more useful to max out speed tweak in the mobility tree rather than maxing out armor since a light mech's best defense is speed.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Thanks! I already started with survival, but based on your recommendation, I might invest more in mobility. However, I don't see why I can't max out both trees as both would still be under the limit of 91 SP.

#4 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:16 PM

Skill is a matter of play style. Mobility is a big must for light mechs their small profile moving at a good speed is the only way to survive high Alpha builds though I dumped a good amount of skills into my Survival tree as MGs usually means hugging the enemy and IS XLs makes the mech super fragile without the buff.

The mech runs cool enough you can skip operations and devote a good number of skill points to Mobility, Survival and Firepower pretty evenly however you see fit. Max Radar Derp on the Sensor Skills Tree is the only must in my option considering LRMs are super popular right now and can very easy to leg lights.

I also personally skip the Misc/Auxiliary tree myself but that again is personal preference, many get good damage number investing in artillery.

Edited by Steel Raven, 21 November 2018 - 03:18 PM.

#5 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostPicard90, on 21 November 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

Thanks! I already started with survival, but based on your recommendation, I might invest more in mobility. However, I don't see why I can't max out both trees as both would still be under the limit of 91 SP.

Yeah, with a most MG mech, which therefore gets little benefit from cool run or the firepower tree, you can definitely find some points to put into Survivability. Once you have maximum radar Deprivation and Speed Tweak, the rest of the skill tree is pretty much personal preference, and getting Survivability is definitely worth it. That said, with MG ammo pretty tight on the mech, a little investment in the fire power tree to get the bottom Magazine size node is probably a good idea.

Edited by Maddermax, 21 November 2018 - 04:04 PM.

#6 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

Max mobility and pgo down the left side in survivability. Then gram the ammo nodes and firepower and put the rest where you see fit. Id atlest put 1 point into a extra consumable slot.

#7 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:33 AM

Also be mindful that Javelin is an easy to hit light mech and as a result it's a very challenging mech to start with. If you are interested in getting experience piloting lights my recommendation would be to use a Commando or an Arctic Cheetah, both mechs are a lot more forgiving and will let you stay in the battle longer.

#8 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 21 November 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

As for the skill tree, generally speaking, it is more useful to max out speed tweak in the mobility tree rather than maxing out armor since a light mech's best defense is speed.

Due to pretty big % bonuses from survival tree and Javelin's size (gets hit no matter what you do) I'd say it is worth to heavily invest in both. As this particular Javelin has structure quirks, I maxed survival tree on this mech (except for AMS nodes and one Reinforced Casing). That helps.

I usually get 60% Radar Deprivation, 2xUAVs and 2xArty, but this stuff is not essential, it is just my preference. Durability and agility are top priority.

View PostPicard90, on 21 November 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

Right now I am investing in survival and mobility, figuring that both areas are essential to surviving in light mechs. Do you agree?
I pilot lights a lot and I agree with you.

View PostBrizna, on 22 November 2018 - 05:33 AM, said:

Also be mindful that Javelin is an easy to hit light mech and as a result it's a very challenging mech to start with. If you are interested in getting experience piloting lights my recommendation would be to use a Commando or an Arctic Cheetah, both mechs are a lot more forgiving and will let you stay in the battle longer.

Loyalty Javelin is almost identical to my favourite cheetah build (sans ECM) and plays almost the same. I can't say that Javelin JVN-11F is substantially worse (for me).

#9 PandasAtPanda

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

I heard that the pirannha is good?
and it always gives me the SH@@#%$Ts to get cored out
the other one that seems op is that tank assassin
maybe someone can post a build ?

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

Jav is what, 30 tons?
This presents a number of problems. I've tried some machine gun boats with little success.

I think for mine I'm going to start experimenting with a single large autocannon. Its no Hollander, but perhaps I could get a Jackal or Urbanmech out of it.

Edited by Koniving, 24 December 2018 - 04:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users