For The Light! - Lightray Support Thread (New Mech Art!)

BattleMechs

125 replies to this topic

#41 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

There are some similarities to the Crab, but one should not overstate them. The Lightray has a favourable geometry (which is hardly bad) but I think it's closer to the Bushwacker anyway. It uses energy weapons but not exclusively so; and it has no JJ. That is about it.

The Lightray has ST mounted weaponry which is not only a difference, it is a good thing. LGH-4Y has 2 hardpoints in each ST e.g. Having an empty arm means you can strip it, which is not an option for the Crab.

If anything, the Lightray is more like a Bushwacker -P2 with much better energy hardpoint distribution and higher engine cap. And that sounds just lovely, especially for me as a huge fan of medium Mechs.

Edited by FLG 01, 29 November 2018 - 01:08 PM.

#42 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:18 PM

I'd be fine with a WoB National mech. We already have some of the cockpit items already. Hopefully PGI will make a Word of Blake Decal if a Lightray mechpack comes out.

#43 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:25 PM

View PostWill9761, on 29 November 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

I'd be fine with a WoB National mech. We already have some of the cockpit items already. Hopefully PGI will make a Word of Blake Decal if a Lightray mechpack comes out.

Yeah they've been playing around with the WoB for awhile now so a legit WoB mech would be a great addition.

#44 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:55 PM

I hope PGI makes new variants to make it stand out. As for a hero mech variant, I can see it mounting MASC and having more hardpoints.

#45 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

View PostWill9761, on 30 November 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

I hope PGI makes new variants to make it stand out. As for a hero mech variant, I can see it mounting MASC and having more hardpoints.

Well inflation for the basic variants is a must imo but a masc hero would be cool.

#46 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 November 2018 - 03:16 AM, said:

if we get c3i, xl gyros and mmls out of it then why not.

Using the Lightray as a way to intro new equipment would be good. With how weak Mech con seemingly was an announcement of new tech would be nice.

#47 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

This thing going 100+kph would be a top-tier medium. The geometry is great. I would buy it.

#48 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:49 PM

Any thoughts on a hero variant guys?

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 07 December 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

A "terror" variant, perhaps? Drop the JJs. Add 200XL. (now 8/12) Add MASC. Toss 4x MG into the arms, a Light PPC in the CT, and maybe a Flamer in each ST? Just think having a "Civvy Killer" variant fits Lady Death to a T.

#50 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:13 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 December 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

A "terror" variant, perhaps? Drop the JJs. Add 200XL. (now 8/12) Add MASC. Toss 4x MG into the arms, a Light PPC in the CT, and maybe a Flamer in each ST? Just think having a "Civvy Killer" variant fits Lady Death to a T.

For a WoB mech?

#51 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:14 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 07 December 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Each arm has a A/SRM-4, an MPL, and an MG or two. Then maybe 3 RL-15s or something bolted to its RT,CT and LT.

I would imagine they would already be gifted with some good agility, so adding a MASC might make an insane plaid speed variant, but I wouldn't say no to that either.

#52 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 December 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

Hmm now that I think about it that would be a good way to make a MASC hero for it.

View Postjjm1, on 07 December 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

Each arm has a A/SRM-4, an MPL, and an MG or two. Then maybe 3 RL-15s or something bolted to its RT,CT and LT.

I would imagine they would already be gifted with some good agility, so adding a MASC might make an insane plaid speed variant, but I wouldn't say no to that either.

Making the hero a masc SRM bomber could be cool

#53 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:57 PM

flamer range 200%

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 07 December 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

For a WoB mech?

Brain fart. Was thinking Brigand (probably having just finished it). Though slaughtering Civvies is also something very WoB. But one also has a lot different tonnage and load out potentials. Just.... take what I posted and toss it over on to the Brigand, eh?

#55 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:33 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 December 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Brain fart. Was thinking Brigand (probably having just finished it). Though slaughtering Civvies is also something very WoB. But one also has a lot different tonnage and load out potentials. Just.... take what I posted and toss it over on to the Brigand, eh?

Haha I gathered as much but it's still an interesting idea for the Lightray, but with a bigger engine, etc.

#56 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 08 December 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

Haha I gathered as much but it's still an interesting idea for the Lightray, but with a bigger engine, etc.

be even better if we had Plasma Rifles. Plasma rifles and flamers and SPLs, OH MY.

#57 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:37 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 December 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

be even better if we had Plasma Rifles. Plasma rifles and flamers and SPLs, OH MY.

I do admit, I'd love some more toys to play with.

#58 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

So I was looking at RELAB and it looks like it's possible to make a Lightray with 4 srm6, 2 Mlas, Masc, xl275 or xl330

What do you guys think?

#59 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

Probably too hot for MWO, although it ironically might work in TT. I am just not sure if I'd want this in MWO. The geometry is fantastic for mid and long range combat, but would not do overly well in a brawl.

I mean, one could explain an SRM unit... Make it an anti-insurgency Mech, loaded with flamers, infernos (i.e. regular SRM in MWO), and perhaps even MG. The Mech was often used in small scale combat during the Chaos March campaign, and during the Jihad there was a lot of ... peacekeeping.
In that case, one could add a BAP to scout for ambushes in urban terrain, even though in MWO we'd remove it immediately. This also makes sense with regards to the origins of the Lightray as a heavy scout.

Edited by FLG 01, 10 December 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#60 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:21 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 10 December 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

Probably too hot for MWO, although it ironically might work in TT. I am just not sure if I'd want this in MWO. The geometry is fantastic for mid and long range combat, but would not do overly well in a brawl.

I mean, one could explain an SRM unit... Make it an anti-insurgency Mech, loaded with flamers, infernos (i.e. regular SRM in MWO), and perhaps even MG. The Mech was often used in small scale combat during the Chaos March campaign, and during the Jihad there was a lot of ... peacekeeping.
In that case, one could add a BAP to scout for ambushes in urban terrain, even though in MWO we'd remove it immediately. This also makes sense with regards to the origins of the Lightray as a heavy scout.

Hmm maybe swap the med lasers for er smalls?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users