For The Light! - Lightray Support Thread (New Mech Art!)

BattleMechs

125 replies to this topic

#61 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:09 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 10 December 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

Probably too hot for MWO, although it ironically might work in TT. I am just not sure if I'd want this in MWO. The geometry is fantastic for mid and long range combat, but would not do overly well in a brawl.

I mean, one could explain an SRM unit... Make it an anti-insurgency Mech, loaded with flamers, infernos (i.e. regular SRM in MWO), and perhaps even MG. The Mech was often used in small scale combat during the Chaos March campaign, and during the Jihad there was a lot of ... peacekeeping.
In that case, one could add a BAP to scout for ambushes in urban terrain, even though in MWO we'd remove it immediately. This also makes sense with regards to the origins of the Lightray as a heavy scout.

Well the realistic build would be X4 srm6 & masc with an xl300. Lasers are just there for variety or if you wanted srm4s with lasers maybe.

#62 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:35 PM

How would you guys use the Lightray if it were introduced?

#63 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 10 December 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

Hmm maybe swap the med lasers for er smalls?

When I look at Mechs, I am thinking lore and TT first. Of course, I do think about their viability in MWO a lot, but that depends more on the hardpoints than on the actual weapons. To me the stock/lore/TT-rules builds are just a suggestion how they work in-universe. In game, I'll remove everything and start from scratch when building a Mech in MWO.

You know, the counter-insurgency (COIN) variant I propose would be rather useless in MWO, because flamers and (too few) MGs don't do much in this game. And we don't have infantry or light vehicles, of course.

But two (or more) flamers, four SRM (or more) launchers, and perhaps some MG translate into interesting hardpoints: many missiles (4-6), backed up by energy, plus perhaps ballistics.
I could see a lot of builds, and the COIN background allows to bring in all those weapons. For COIN, you could even reduce the engine cap a bit since infantry won't outrun you...

Lastly, WoB is not known to treat civilians well. Unleashing flamers and infernos on civvies is very much what they would do. (Not all of them, but still... many of them).

Edited by FLG 01, 12 December 2018 - 06:52 PM.

#64 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:01 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 12 December 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

How would you guys use the Lightray if it were introduced?

I'd be interested in how the PPC models go, assuming they get quirks that let them work hard enough.

I play my Black Lanner-A with a single ER-PPC, 3 smalls and ECM and that's fun, but hardly the most dangerous of Lanners.

Without MASC, ECM and its range quirk the Lanner wouldn't be worth the extra effort, so the Lightray will need a substantial boost I think. PPC heat reduction and cooldown would make it a good mobile haraser.

Maybe the old double ER-PPC or LPL in the torso mounts, it might be a bit like what the Uziel can currently do but with less front facing geometry.

#65 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:16 AM

View Postjjm1, on 12 December 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

I'd be interested in how the PPC models go, assuming they get quirks that let them work hard enough.

I play my Black Lanner-A with a single ER-PPC, 3 smalls and ECM and that's fun, but hardly the most dangerous of Lanners.

Without MASC, ECM and its range quirk the Lanner wouldn't be worth the extra effort, so the Lightray will need a substantial boost I think. PPC heat reduction and cooldown would make it a good mobile haraser.

Maybe the old double ER-PPC or LPL in the torso mounts, it might be a bit like what the Uziel can currently do but with less front facing geometry.

Well the shoulder mounts look really good and even the ct/mouth laser hp could prove quite useful.

Give it some range & cooldown quirks and it'd be a great harasser.

#66 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:49 AM

Looks like a bibedal mosquito... Low slung arms.
I always thought low slung arms was the best way to deal with... well far below cockpit targets, like tanks and infantry and especially in CQB. Then again in MWO, we dont have that so no wonder low slung arms are crap...
We should get a slight autoaim with low slung arms in MWO. A fitting solution I think.

#67 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

View PostTordin, on 15 December 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Looks like a bibedal mosquito... Low slung arms.
I always thought low slung arms was the best way to deal with... well far below cockpit targets, like tanks and infantry and especially in CQB. Then again in MWO, we dont have that so no wonder low slung arms are crap...
We should get a slight autoaim with low slung arms in MWO. A fitting solution I think.

The arms can make great shields and alot most of it's weapons are torso mounted so it'll be pretty flexible in what roles it can fill.

#68 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

Just one (1) hardpoint is located in the RA; that's all the arm mounted weaponry. In fact, stripping the arm is a plus of that Mech.
That hardpoint is not even terribly low, especially considering PGI has consistently shortened the upper arms of Mechs since the Marauder, years ago. I am honestly not worried about it.

#69 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:58 AM

I only started with this project (just another) ... Its a very rough build (hardly 1h of work)
Primary goal is to get a idea how the lightray should look and feel.
but it is enough to see the key indicators
Posted Image

it depends on the "pose" of the arms if they can shield the torso, its obvious that the LGH owns a very sleak but elongated torso, also the pose of the arms are important for the hp location of the arm gun.
Strictly spoken the position of the arms make the difference between a decent and a DOA build. When you use the "Warhammer" arms approach and the upper arm is 90° vertical the arms will not shield the major part of the torso and any guns in the arms (I expect a LGH to have two energy weapons in each arm) will have the same high as the ct laser.

The arms in the pods at the upper side however will have always the maximum height.

Another issue are the legs. the Lightray uses digitgrade legs like the Huntsman or Uziel but MWO only uses 3 instead of all 4 joints this will cause the Lightray to be exceptional tall for its size. (or at least for such a torso form) - it will be taller as the bushwacker although you might be able to compare both torso forms in size.

I keep you updated

Edited by Karl Streiger, 18 December 2018 - 09:05 AM.

#70 Fed0t

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts
  • LocationRussia, Bugulma

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 18 December 2018 - 07:58 AM, said:

I only started with this project (just another) ... Its a very rough build (hardly 1h of work)
Primary goal is to get a idea how the lightray should look and feel.
but it is enough to see the key indicators
Posted Image

it depends on the "pose" of the arms if they can shield the torso, its obvious that the LGH owns a very sleak but elongated torso, also the pose of the arms are important for the hp location of the arm gun.
Strictly spoken the position of the arms make the difference between a decent and a DOA build. When you use the "Warhammer" arms approach and the upper arm is 90° vertical the arms will not shield the major part of the torso and any guns in the arms (I expect a LGH to have two energy weapons in each arm) will have the same high as the ct laser.

The arms in the pods at the upper side however will have always the maximum height.

Another issue are the legs. the Lightray uses digitgrade legs like the Huntsman or Uziel but MWO only uses 3 instead of all 4 joints this will cause the Lightray to be exceptional tall for its size. (or at least for such a torso form) - it will be taller as the bushwacker although you might be able to compare both torso forms in size.

I keep you updated

Awesome work on model!
About the arms and legs: it should have more similarity to Crab in that, just look at mini and Crab model.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#71 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

So awesome!!!! I'm really looking forward to it Karl!

#72 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:02 AM

View PostFed0t, on 18 December 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

Awesome work on model!
About the arms and legs: it should have more similarity to Crab in that, just look at mini and Crab model.
Posted Image
Posted Image

well well well.... when i combine my redefinded LightRay torso with the crab arm and legs - i get a toad..... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

although i think its primary the problem with the crab arm and legs... they do not fit the style.... (maybe I should try the Uziel legs and arms....)

#73 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:48 AM

Why does this mech remind me Bert from Sesame Street.

#74 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 20 December 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

well well well.... when i combine my redefinded LightRay torso with the crab arm and legs - i get a toad..... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

although i think its primary the problem with the crab arm and legs... they do not fit the style.... (maybe I should try the Uziel legs and arms....)

Hmm looks like it needs something with hands... Griffin?

#75 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:02 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 20 December 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

Hmm looks like it needs something with hands... Griffin?

The arms of the Griffin are also to bulbous... I will try to shrink the width f the cockpit to give a sleeker knifeshaped head. (Its still very comfortable in this version.
The back of the torso however need this size for the fusion engine.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 21 December 2018 - 01:46 AM.

#76 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:15 AM

Every time I see such thread, I always wonder, don't we have enough ugly 'Mechs in this game?

#77 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:15 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 21 December 2018 - 12:15 AM, said:

Every time I see such thread, I always wonder, don't we have enough ugly 'Mechs in this game?

Some things to consider.
1. Mechs are PGI's primary source of income, so we're always getting new mechs.
2. This mech fills a niche that currently is only filled by a Hero mech.

#78 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:30 AM

again with the MockUp Arms and Legs of the first draft, but I have reworked the torso... at least the front view looks adequate.
Posted Image

#79 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:21 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 21 December 2018 - 05:30 AM, said:

again with the MockUp Arms and Legs of the first draft, but I have reworked the torso... at least the front view looks adequate.
Posted Image

Yeah it's really coming together nicely!

#80 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 21 December 2018 - 12:15 AM, said:

We certainly have enough underperforming Mechs in game, which is why a potentially powerful unit like this would be most welcome.
And we do not have a single WoB-design despite it being a notable player in the FCCW-era, so there is the lore-argument.

Both arguments, lore and gameplay, can be qualified rather objectively, at least moreso than superficial and subjective criteria such as 'ugliness'.
I personally think the Lightray has a unique look that might turn out to be menacing and imposing in game, but then again, that's just me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users