Question

11 replies to this topic

#1 Fieryeel

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:00 AM

Hi there, I have some questions please.

• Is a Masakari with 4x ER PPC a good mech? I've always loved this mech from Mechcommander and feel like buying it.

• If I am willing spend roughly $20 on this game, is it better to buy a mech bundle, limited time offers, MC bills or something else?

• Are there any perks to joining a guild? In fact, are there any casual guilds out there? I just got back so I am unsure if I am ready for competitive play yet.
Thank you.

#2 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:11 AM

Any Mech with 4 ER PPC is going to be fairly hot. You might want to stay with something a little more manageable. If you come back after this long a break, it might be a good idea to start out with medium or heavy mechs again for now. Assaults are fairly difficult to play in that positioning needs to be really good. You are bound to be rusty after all this time. It might be a good idea to start with any of the mechs recommended in this thread:

https://mwomercs.com...-best-is-mechs/

I only have good experience with buying certain mechpacks. If you buy one, make sure that the special variant that contains monetary boost is the one you want to play most. (And check out the thread linked above) I found MC bill sales to not be as helpful, because there are not all that many MC-only variants out there that are really good. If you want to avoid some of the pain of skilling the mechs, getting something that provides CBills and General Exp is very helpful.

Sorry, I cannot really help you on joining guilds. I have been playing solo. But the game makes it more difficult to play with friends than a game should...

#3 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:32 AM

The Warhawk-Prime for 4 ERPPC plays really good, cools down well enough even with 4 ERPPC. Build it like so:
Posted Image
You want to maintain range though, being pushed by an entire team will get you killed really quick because you won't have the sustain to keep up.

If you want to spend $20 on this game, buying a standard mech pack of your choice is the best way to go, it gives you 3 mechs + 30 days of premium time. Consider that 30 days of premium time alone equals ~$12, a standard mech pack at $20 is the best way to go if you're going to spend money. As to which pack to buy, it depends on what weight class you find fun.

Edited by Vxheous, 26 November 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#4 Fieryeel

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 26 November 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

Any Mech with 4 ER PPC is going to be fairly hot. You might want to stay with something a little more manageable. If you come back after this long a break, it might be a good idea to start out with medium or heavy mechs again for now. Assaults are fairly difficult to play in that positioning needs to be really good. You are bound to be rusty after all this time. It might be a good idea to start with any of the mechs recommended in this thread:

https://mwomercs.com...-best-is-mechs/

I only have good experience with buying certain mechpacks. If you buy one, make sure that the special variant that contains monetary boost is the one you want to play most. (And check out the thread linked above) I found MC bill sales to not be as helpful, because there are not all that many MC-only variants out there that are really good. If you want to avoid some of the pain of skilling the mechs, getting something that provides CBills and General Exp is very helpful.

Sorry, I cannot really help you on joining guilds. I have been playing solo. But the game makes it more difficult to play with friends than a game should...

Thanks for the advice. I did play a couple of days so I am warming up.

I like playing sniper type mechs. Perhaps I will seek a medium mech with multiple AC2s.

View PostVxheous, on 26 November 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

The Warhawk-Prime for 4 ERPPC plays really good, cools down well enough even with 4 ERPPC. Build it like so:
Posted Image
You want to maintain range though, being pushed by an entire team will get you killed really quick because you won't have the sustain to keep up.

If you want to spend $20 on this game, buying a standard mech pack of your choice is the best way to go, it gives you 3 mechs + 30 days of premium time. Consider that 30 days of premium time alone equals ~$12, a standard mech pack at $20 is the best way to go if you're going to spend money. As to which pack to buy, it depends on what weight class you find fun.

Thanks for the advice. So there isn't a targeting computer for this Masakari build?

Edited by Fieryeel, 26 November 2018 - 09:42 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:01 AM

View PostFieryeel, on 26 November 2018 - 12:00 AM, said:

• Is a Masakari with 4x ER PPC a good mech? I've always loved this mech from Mechcommander and feel like buying it.
  • If I am willing spend roughly $20 on this game, is it better to buy a mech bundle, limited time offers, MC bills or something else?
  • Are there any perks to joining a guild? In fact, are there any casual guilds out there? I just got back so I am unsure if I am ready for competitive play yet.
Thank you.

I love the Masakari / Warhawk more than many players do. 4 ER PPCs can work if you fire them 2 at a time and use the fact that you have four in order to have an increased firing frequency. If you fire even 3 at a time you'll get punished with extra heat, and they have to be spaced at least half a second apart. I personally like to space them 2 seconds apart to get a good rhythm going and to have a pair ready to fire even when the other pair can't. Personally, if running a Warhawk with ER PPCs, the other arm is gonna get two large pulse lasers instead. There are situations where projectile weapons (yes, including PPCs) are ideal, and there are situations where hitscan weapons (lasers) are ideal. This covers both ends.

I prefer a mech bundle or a hero when spending money. Sadly the only time a mech bundle is really worth spending the money is during the preorder bonus phase, but there's no real way to definitively know how good or bad the resulting mech will be beforehand. (You can make educated guesses though, but that's not definitive).

MC...best to get MC if you care about painting your mech. Otherwise I tend to avoid it. MC can be earned for free during events and some game-related activities. I might get some decorative chainsaws for my King Crab...but meh.

Joining a guild? There isn't any real perks to be in one just to be in one. If you join something active, though, there's challenging team play and in some cases a more enjoyable experience (depending on how pleasant the other people are). But if you're not likely to be on when they play and such, you're not going to get much out of it.

View PostFieryeel, on 26 November 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice. So there isn't a targeting computer for this Masakari build?

That build is using one in the right arm, a "Mark I" which is the most basic model in MWO speak. As the weight increases, the benefits per ton kinda dwindles. Past Mark III or IV, the lost weight and slots compared to benefits isn't even worth considering.

#6 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostFieryeel, on 26 November 2018 - 12:00 AM, said:

Masakari/Warhawk was one of my earlier nostalgia mechs as well, it was my largest upfront cash investment iv made in MWO and - my biggest buyers remorse. At its core it can still do a lot of work, but in the grand scheme of things it just cant stand up as well against other more popular assault mechs like the Mad Cat Mk II - though it certainly does better now then when I was using it, tons of permanently locked in heat sinks and very low slung arms combined with the engine desync take alot away from what this mech could be. Keep in mind however iv not used it seriously sense it got quirks and the heat system change likely benefits the high heatsink 'hawk considerably.

#7 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:12 AM

View PostFieryeel, on 26 November 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

I like playing sniper type mechs. Perhaps I will seek a medium mech with multiple AC2s.

I am always a bit worried when I hear people wanting to play Assaults as Snipers, because unless you are very very good, the end result will be more losses for your team, because there will be an Assault sized hole on the front line. You might personally do well damage wise, but the losses will usually stack up.

I prefer Mechs that I can use to engage from medium to short range. I cannot hit worth **** beyond 600m myself, so I want to be able to share my armour on the front lines by giving people something to shoot at and then cycle into second line when my armour gets low, so I can still do damage, ideally without taking too much return fire.

#8 Fieryeel

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:54 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 26 November 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

I am always a bit worried when I hear people wanting to play Assaults as Snipers, because unless you are very very good, the end result will be more losses for your team, because there will be an Assault sized hole on the front line. You might personally do well damage wise, but the losses will usually stack up.

I prefer Mechs that I can use to engage from medium to short range. I cannot hit worth **** beyond 600m myself, so I want to be able to share my armour on the front lines by giving people something to shoot at and then cycle into second line when my armour gets low, so I can still do damage, ideally without taking too much return fire.

Oh I won't be sniping with the Masakari. Will be doing medium-long range trading and also soaking up some hits for the team.

I will be playing a sniper only if I am in a medium mech.

#9 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostFieryeel, on 26 November 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

Oh I won't be sniping with the Masakari. Will be doing medium-long range trading and also soaking up some hits for the team.

I will be playing a sniper only if I am in a medium mech.

The Warhawk snipes at 900m, and with the velocity quirks+velocity nodes + TC, your PPCs pretty much hit where you aim (very slight leading at 900m). You don't want to be fighting in a range where laser vomit can hit you, because you will get your torsos shot off. The Warhawk is really only good for sniping, other assaults do better in mid range.

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 26 November 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

Being able to hit past 600m is a mouse sensitivity/mouse dpi issue, unless you have a really bad computer and play at like 20 fps.

Edited by Vxheous, 26 November 2018 - 10:13 PM.

#10 nazgul090

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:29 PM

If u seek good build look up at my guide

https://mwomercs.com...zgul090s-guide/

#11 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:40 AM

View PostVxheous, on 26 November 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

The Warhawk snipes at 900m, and with the velocity quirks+velocity nodes + TC, your PPCs pretty much hit where you aim (very slight leading at 900m). You don't want to be fighting in a range where laser vomit can hit you, because you will get your torsos shot off. The Warhawk is really only good for sniping, other assaults do better in mid range.

Being able to hit past 600m is a mouse sensitivity/mouse dpi issue, unless you have a really bad computer and play at like 20 fps.

Also, some people can shoot and other cannot. Although I will always take advice on my settings since I have no idea what I'm doing. When I was growing up, a lot of hunters would shoot quail in this area. Hitting a totally still deer with a scope and knowing the distance is easy compared to hitting flying birds in 1.8 seconds. I could never do it.

#12 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:53 AM

I was looking for something with 4 ER PPCs. It took me a while to find one with the high mounts I wanted.

I believe I bought this one for C-Bills on sale. I hate to tell you this, BUT it might not be over and that is "LOOK FOR SALES DURING THE HOLIDAYS".

Work and make C-Bills. I buy mech packs often for the Premium Time. I've gotten to where I HATE buying mech packs with disappointing mechs in it.

Posted Image

If you feel funky, try the Standard Heatsink version.

Posted Image

Edited by Mechwarrior 37, 02 December 2018 - 08:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users