Uac20/uac10 Combo On Thanathos Viable?

7 replies to this topic

#1 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:09 AM

I would say the different velocity is the biggest problem with this build. Either one of the UAC's will either miss or at least not hit the same component on a target that is not stationary or moving directly towards you.

At least for me that is the reason I dont like to mix AC20/UAC20 with other ballistic weapons.

#2 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:54 AM

Well try the dual gauss with stealth armor build. Its at least something you really cant do with any other mech which for me was the reason to even get one variant of Thanatos. I just like to have mechs that can do different stuff, even when it might not be all too powerfull.

You'd be surprised at how many people are completely blind and cannot see a target the size of a Thanatos when you have stealth armor on. Black or dark grey paint will help with it.

Or you could just go with dual UAC20's and space the shots between left and right to avoid ghost heat. Not overly powerfull but fun.

Or maybe something like this even tho I think Cataphract-3L with MASC is better suited for it.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...971789882ee0904

#3 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:50 AM

OP,

That build works, well sort of.
I run it with AC20 instead of UAC20. This frees 1 ton (and some heat) for another medium laser and give me one reliable short range cannon for when the UAC10 jams in front of an enemy (plus the 2 lasers).

The muzzle velocity difference is an issue that you have to manage. However, it is not a big deal 80% of the time - in a short range brawl and against slow assults/heavies, just point and shoot. At longer ranges you wont fire that AC20 very much anyway. Against lights/mediums at ranges over 100 meters you have to stagger your shots, so you lose PPFLD but dps remains the same. Against lights you will miss a lot anyway, so staggering the shots make you keep shooting all the time - and one AC20 hit on a light can ruin his day (small hit boxes be damned when all 20 damage is applied to 1 component).

It is not an easy weapon mix to manage, and if someone argues that 2UAC10s are generally better then he may not be wrong. The AC20+UAC10 build is a ******* between 2AC20 and 2UAC10 builds, and as such it is never optimal in any situation. I argue that it is more fun than the former two builds.

#4 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:05 AM

Been running this on a roughneck. It's hit or miss, although, if you get a good spot and don't jam up, you can deal godly damage.
Worth mentioning that you simply should not play this like usual ac builds, the jamming time is just too severe. Always, ALWAYS poke out of cover and have way to retreat out of combat. This weapon combo is not meant to be played pushy.

#5 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:00 AM

I am running my crab with AC/20 UAC/10 and let me tell you, IT IS POTENT.
It's like a boxer, few quick jabs with the left and then KAAPOW right hook.

Ignore the crowd going "hurr durr different ranges, different velocities". Do what you think you'll enjoy, now meta or trendy.

Go for UAC/20 UAC/10 or AC/20 UAC/10. Personaly I'd recommend AC/20 UAC/10 because of 20's one ton less and pinpoint which Clans DO NOT HAVE and UAC/10 so it's dakka, and people are afraid of dakka.
And there are those times where your AC/20 just hits the cockpit <3 Mmm, so good.

Edited by Acersecomic, 17 December 2018 - 03:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users