Bring Back The Old Frozencity/terratherma/causticvalley/forrestcolony Maps As "frozen City Classic" Etc.

27 replies to this topic

Poll: Bring back the old FrozenCity/TerraTherma/CausticValley/ForrestColony maps as "Frozen City Classic" etc. (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Bring back the old FrozenCity/TerraTherma/CausticValley/ForrestColony maps as "Frozen City Classic" etc.

1. Yes, I want to play these maps again. The mapvote should judgde the popularity. (48 votes [94.12%])

Percentage of vote: 94.12%

2. No, I never want to see these maps again (3 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:18 PM

Hello!

I think it was a waste to purge the old maps FrozenCity/TerraTherma/CausticValley/ForrestColony from MWO, because they differ a lot from the recent version of these maps and they were also a lot of fun to play!

Also this might be an opportunity to add easily add some content to MWO.

What do you think?
--------
Also: Vote on merging the S7 division: https://mwomercs.com...a-match-faster/

Edited by cyclist1994, 04 December 2018 - 01:55 PM.

#2 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:40 PM

I am for the old terra therma, frozen city, and caustic. Never saw the old forest colony, but yes for that as well.

#3 Blacksheep One

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Beer and Cheese

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:55 AM

All for more map variety! (When I get Grim Plexus five times in a row... ugh. Meanwhile, I almost never see, say, Caustic.)

#4 zzoxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationGermany - Eifel

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:25 AM

Absolutely. But i think PGI is not a fan of that idea ever since. BC "old maps don't fit the new meta.", if i remember it right. Sorry if i don't. But: If people hate it, they won't vote it. Simple as that. So what? I'd love to play the old maps for sure with all the new stuff we got.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:03 PM

Some of the maps were removed because they where "too small for 12 vs 12", which had some truth to it. However, maps such as Caustic and Terra Therma was plenty large enough to operate with 12v12, as their new replacements are about the same size.

The smaller maps, such as original Forest and River, could be used as a 4v4 scouting map without any problems that I can think of. They certainly should still be an option in private lobby, where 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, 8v8, whatever sized matches up to 12v12 might happen.

Honestly, I don't know why they removed these maps. A lot of people loved old Forest. I personally loved old Caustic and Therma. Therma by far had the most distinct and different map setup out of all of them, with lots of open places as well as that "pug zapper" middle area which force people to push together, or die. (And there were plenty of ways around the center, that a team could pry an entrenched enemy force... but too many people blindly charged in, got hit, and then tried to back out blocking the entrances... which isn't a map problem, it's a player problem.)

#6 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:37 PM

Old frozen and colony were just so much better than the current ones. I miss them a lot.

#7 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

I would love to have the originals back in the game. Of all the things that PGI has done wrong, I think this is the one that frustrates me the most (that, and what they keep doing to the poor Jenner).

#8 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to add them to the regular game rotation, but I don't see the harm in adding them to the map selection in custom lobbies, and perhaps even the 4v4 scouting map list.

Edited by Mister Maf, 10 December 2018 - 04:17 PM.

#9 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:50 PM

The old forest colony was one of my favorite maps. I would love to see it again

#10 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:34 AM

After about 10 days the votes counts 23 to 2.
Now we have a slight statistical implication, that rereleasing the old maps is desired.

I want to further gather votes and then contact the developer.
Feel free to share this vote with your friends.

Edited by cyclist1994, 12 December 2018 - 04:35 AM.

#11 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:58 AM

Old Forest Colony, with the cave, rocked totally! I miss it the most. And old Frozen City was a great brawling map...didn't have the ice river estuary mouth that everybody now feels compelled to run into during matches and get slaughtered.

#12 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:47 PM

of those directly listed I think caustic would be the only exception in this, as the new one is just a larger version

River city was originally very small it'd be nice for a 4vs4 mode but otherwise no.

#13 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:59 AM

Seems like we get a few of them back soon. (see latest NGNG Podcast with Paul).

#14 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:25 AM

I approve, if PGI would be reasonable enough to introduce 8vs8 mode along with 12vs12.

#15 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:06 PM

I don't want ALL of those maps back, but Forest Colony and Frozen City were good maps and I'd be happy to see them again. Old Caustic was similar enough to New Caustic that I don't really feel the need to have both. Put another way, if the matchmaker gave me a choice between old and new caustic, I probably wouldn't bother voting and just save my multiplier. I am just ambivalent about old Terra Therma. I don't think it was a good map, but it is certainly different from the current version. I wouldn't be mad if they brought it back, but I wouldn't be happy either.

I know the old maps were, in general, smaller, but I think it's not so bad to have near-instant contact and tight-quarters fights sometimes rather than walking for two minutes to get to a position and make contact. In fact, I would trade Alpine in for old Forest Colony and Frozen City any day!

#16 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

They are already doing this dudes, listen to podcasts :P slated for march i believe

Also, they are looking at doing "re-skins" on current popular maps, example given was canyon network bog-afied, doesnt sound like much but it would completely change sightlines and map flow.

This cuts down map dev time from 6-8 to 3-5 months on new map releases.

Current maps slated to come back in are forest colony snow, forest colony (old, yes with cave) and old frozen city.

#17 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:54 PM

I'm quite happy we're getting the classic Frozen City and Forest Colony back. I would like to see the old Terra Therma as well even though I really didn't like it too much back then. I guess compared to the new one I think the old one had some things about it that I liked more. Classic Caustic would be nice to have as well. I liked that it wasn't so cluttered and didn't have the day/night cycle. Even if we don't get those two, I'll still be happy we got the old FCs back.

#18 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

View PostMechTech Dragoon, on 02 January 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

They are already doing this dudes, listen to podcasts Posted Image slated for march i believe

Also, they are looking at doing "re-skins" on current popular maps, example given was canyon network bog-afied, doesnt sound like much but it would completely change sightlines and map flow.

This cuts down map dev time from 6-8 to 3-5 months on new map releases.

Current maps slated to come back in are forest colony snow, forest colony (old, yes with cave) and old frozen city.

That's great to hear! Thanks for spreading the info from the podcast for those of us who don't have the time or inclination to listen to them.

#19 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

Was working overnights and decided to listen to it while i worked haha. Not a bad time killer XD

#20 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:32 PM

i was against the original maps being removed back in the day,

I want lrmagendon back, and the oem maps.. and the way it use to be

It had life

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users