The Original Pirate Mech - Brigand Support Thread (More New Art!)

BattleMechs

107 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:28 PM

It's a pirate's mech for everyone! The Brigand is a 25 tonner that was originally built by pirates and what makes it better is it offers good HPs, speed, Jump jets, ecm and solid geometry all while being just as fast as the Commando. What seperates it from the Commando are it's JJs and more energy focused loadouts but of course it has decent variant variety as well.

Sarna page:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Brigand

A big thank you to the artists that helped us visulaize the Brigand!

By jjm1 or user000000000001
https://www.devianta...ser000000000001
Posted Image
Posted Image

By Bishop Steiner
https://www.devianta...m/bishopsteiner
Posted Image

By Fed0t
https://www.deviantart.com/fed0t
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

By GiorgioEspinos
https://www.devianta.../giorgioespinos
Posted Image
Posted Image
Brigand mini
Posted Image

Thanks for getting this far in the thread and an even bigger thank you to the artists for sharing their talents.

For a hero mech I like the idea of an MG boat that maybe has MASC so it could be like a heavier Flea. What do you guys think?

Thanks go to Fupdup for this breakdown of the MWO tech variants. There's also the XPR2 with 5 MLs and Angel ECM but the Angel would need to be changed to Guardian for MWO tech.
Posted Image

As far as MW5 goes, it's true that the Brigand would not be in it's timeline but introducing the Brigand and others from later eras is a good way to get ready for post-clan invasion era DLC.

If you like this mech make sure you support it here on the forums, Reddit, tweeting Russ, etc. Thanks for your time.

Vote here! https://mwomercs.com...mech-pack-poll/

Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.c...h_link_mechart/

NGNG forums:
http://www.nogutsnog...g27006#msg27006

Edited by TheArisen, 23 February 2019 - 01:09 PM.

#2 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:04 PM

That is one ugly mech :| Just like at least half of the other humanoids. Prefer my mechs to be ED209s.

#3 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:38 PM

I'd support it. More light mechs. Plus, a light or medium Pirate mech makes way more sense than a heavy or assault. Just due to scarcity of parts, ya know?

#4 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:56 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 December 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

I'd support it. More light mechs. Plus, a light or medium Pirate mech makes way more sense than a heavy or assault. Just due to scarcity of parts, ya know?

Not only that but it expands the 25t slot and does so with what should be a pretty strong chassis.

#5 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:51 PM

Sounds good to me.

#6 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:56 PM

I can get behind this, I can see the Brigand acting as a support mech to the Corsair. I wish we could have a pirate faction already.

#7 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:01 AM

JJs and meds

It's got all you'll ever need to bust your enemies balls.

#8 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:19 PM

Since the only other IS mech I would want for MW:O is the Toyama at this point (which seems very unlikely in the near future), you got my support for this.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:24 PM

i kind of want the arbiter with its stock loadout. and you thought the stock urbie was bad.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 December 2018 - 01:26 PM.

#10 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

The Brigand makes so much sense: perfect lore for MWO, pirate coolness factor (while still believable), and it actually adds a meaningful novelty to MWO, i.e. an 25t energy Mech with JJ, plus good hardpoint distribution.
This is a Mech we need.

View PostArnold The Governator, on 06 December 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Since the only other IS mech I would want for MW:O is the Toyama at this point (which seems very unlikely in the near future), you got my support for this.

Well, I would love to see the Toyama. And the Brigand. And the Dragon Fire. And the Lightray. And...
Seriously there are many, many IS Mechs I want. Unfortunately most of them are from the Clan Invasion or FCCW-era, and it seems PGI has abandoned those eras. It's a shame because there are many hidden gems which would be extremely enjoyable in MWO. I hope we see a resurgence when MW:5 gets closer to its release.

#11 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:17 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 December 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

i kind of want the arbiter with its stock loadout. and you thought the stock urbie was bad.

Yeah that would be an interesting mech but the Brigand is a pirate mech that also has good HPs, geometry and expands the 25 ton slot.

#12 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

Not going to lie, I'd rather have a Mongoose for a 25t energy mech, first. However, the Brigand would also be a solid mech; and it'd be a great fit for MWO, as well as MW5. I wonder if Alex will be pushing for it with his own current "pirate kick" that he's on right now . . . I'd like to see what he'd do with it.

#13 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:55 PM

Oh my yes.

If we're going to be doing pirate 'Mechs, the Brigand is an absolute must. The Corsair's lore is that it's a frankenmech, but the Brigand is something that must have been much, much scarier to whomever first discovered its origins: an actual, honest-go-goodness mass-produced pirate 'Mech. It even comes with the armor pre-frontloaded per MWO meta, because Lady Death didn't like her Mechwarriors running away from fights.

Trivia: MekTek cooked up a companion medium for the Brigand in their ample add-on to MW4:Mercs- the Privateer. Y'know. If we really want to complete the set, somebody might reach out to those guys to see if they'd slide over permission to reproduce it... the thing shared much more in common with the new Corsair than the Brigand, though- a hodge-podge armament consisting of multiple laser types, SRMs, MGs, and a rocket launcher, with (of all things) a LAMS for defense. It was also pretty fast for a stock 55-tonner, at ~84kph (likely meaning a stock XL engine, though MW4's mechlab never made any distinction between engine types).

#14 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:30 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 05 December 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

It's a pirate's mech for everyone! The Brigand is a 25 tonner that was originally built by pirates and what makes it better is it offers good HPs, speed, Jump jets, ecm and solid geometry all while being just as fast as the Commando. What seperates it from the Commando are it's JJs and more energy focused loadouts but of course it has decent variant variety as well.

Sarna page:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Brigand

A big thank you to the artits that helped us visulaize the Brigand!

By jjm1 or user000000000001
https://www.devianta...ser000000000001
Posted Image

By Bishop Steiner
https://www.devianta...m/bishopsteiner
Posted Image

Brigand mini
Posted Image

Thanks for getting this far in the thread and an even bigger thank you to the artists for sharing their talents.

For a hero mech I like the idea of an MG boat that maybe has MASC so it could be like a heavier Flea. What do you guys think?

If you like this mech make sure you support it here on the forums, Reddit, tweeting Russ, etc. Thanks for your time.
Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.c...h_link_mechart/

The visuals here make me think of a tiny little Orion.

Something in the head and cockpit geometry, especially for the miniature, though I'll admit some of the influence is the offset cockpit from the ON1-IIC. It's also the angle in the shoulders, and the hip-level and arm weapon mounts.

Regardless: Yes please. IS 25 tonner chassis don't seem especially common. Why not?

#15 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

Posted Image

Not my artwork, but I want to share it nonetheless.

View PostVirlutris, on 07 December 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

Regardless: Yes please. IS 25 tonner chassis don't seem especially common.

To be fair, there are not too many IS 25 tonners to begin with. I mean, except the Brigand, there are the Dart, Duan Gung, Eagle, Mongoose, Nexus and Raptor. The first three would be less than stellar in MWO, the Nexus relies a bit too much on C3i for my taste, and the Raptor is an Omni (PGI apparently not liking the idea).
That leaves us with the Mongoose and, of course, the Brigand. I love the Mongoose, but in MWO the JJ of the Brigand are a bigger novelty and asset. It makes sense. The Mongoose has probably bigger chances due to having a SW-era variant, which makes it eligable for MW:5. Still, if we are talking about MWO, it's the Brigand.

#16 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:37 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 07 December 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

To be fair, there are not too many IS 25 tonners to begin with. I mean, except the Brigand, there are the Dart, Duan Gung, Eagle, Mongoose, Nexus and Raptor. The first three would be less than stellar in MWO, the Nexus relies a bit too much on C3i for my taste, and the Raptor is an Omni (PGI apparently not liking the idea).
That leaves us with the Mongoose and, of course, the Brigand. I love the Mongoose, but in MWO the JJ of the Brigand are a bigger novelty and asset. It makes sense. The Mongoose has probably bigger chances due to having a SW-era variant, which makes it eligable for MW:5. Still, if we are talking about MWO, it's the Brigand.

Mongoose is the only other IS 25 ton chassis that's credibly fleshed-out without PGI inventing extra variants to fill a MechPack™. It seems like a pretty reasonable chassis, buuuuuuuuuut ... that's not why we're here.

Avast ye mateys! Pirate mechs ahoy! Brigands! Stuff!

#17 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 06 December 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

Oh my yes.

If we're going to be doing pirate 'Mechs, the Brigand is an absolute must. The Corsair's lore is that it's a frankenmech, but the Brigand is something that must have been much, much scarier to whomever first discovered its origins: an actual, honest-go-goodness mass-produced pirate 'Mech. It even comes with the armor pre-frontloaded per MWO meta, because Lady Death didn't like her Mechwarriors running away from fights.

Trivia: MekTek cooked up a companion medium for the Brigand in their ample add-on to MW4:Mercs- the Privateer. Y'know. If we really want to complete the set, somebody might reach out to those guys to see if they'd slide over permission to reproduce it... the thing shared much more in common with the new Corsair than the Brigand, though- a hodge-podge armament consisting of multiple laser types, SRMs, MGs, and a rocket launcher, with (of all things) a LAMS for defense. It was also pretty fast for a stock 55-tonner, at ~84kph (likely meaning a stock XL engine, though MW4's mechlab never made any distinction between engine types).

Yeah, MekTek's Privateer mech would've made so much more sense for a non-canon pirate unit than a gigantic assault mech.

Posted Image

For the stock build I dorked around in SSW and I leaned on old-tech because I assumed the Pirates would focus on cost effectiveness rather than min-max. Trying to closely translate the MW4 stock build, I came up with STD275, max FF armor, no Endo, 10 DHS, 2 SRM4, 6 MGs, 1 LL, 1 ML, 2 RL20. Seems fitting for it to serve a cavalry type role.

Later variants will most likely pack a big MRM launcher in the RT pod and have more lasers for supply line independence (like the Brigand).

Edited by FupDup, 07 December 2018 - 07:21 PM.

#18 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 07 December 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

Nice find FLG!

#19 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:35 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 December 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

Yeah, MekTek's Privateer mech would've made so much more sense for a non-canon pirate unit than a gigantic assault mech.

Posted Image

For the stock build I dorked around in SSW and I leaned on old-tech because I assumed the Pirates would focus on cost effectiveness rather than min-max. Trying to closely translate the MW4 stock build, I came up with STD275, max FF armor, no Endo, 10 DHS, 2 SRM4, 6 MGs, 1 LL, 1 ML, 2 RL20. Seems fitting for it to serve a cavalry type role.

Later variants will most likely pack a big MRM launcher in the RT pod and have more lasers for supply line independence (like the Brigand).

If PGI gives me +40 RT armor to compensate for that missile pod, I'll take it.

I'll pilot a drunk on moonshine anemic little IS Summomer.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 07 December 2018 - 09:36 PM.

#20 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:18 AM

What do you guys think would be a good hero? As I said I liked the idea of a 25t Flea, an mg boat with masc to accentuate the lasers and missiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users