Display Weapons Range Of Friendly Mechs On Battlemap

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Display Weapons Range ? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Add this feature

1. Yes (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. No (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

On the Battlemap :
- display the optimal range of your weapons, as multiple circles surrounding your mech.
- Add the option to toggle on/off those range of weapons for friendly mechs.

Types of display :
- Optimal range of the longest range weapon on/off
- Optimal range of the shortest range weapon on/off
- Optimal range of all intermediary weapons on/off

This information would be specially useful for the Company Commander, so he can tell what kind or friendly mechs he's dealing with, from short range brawler to long range sniper : Because the Mech Class (light, medium, heavy, assault) does not provide this information.

This information is not available for enemy mechs.

#2 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to allow to target friendly mechs to see their loadouts?
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, BUT the amount of information will be overwhelming, no commander would be able to process it and pilot mech effectively.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 08 December 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#3 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

I like this idea, but what if a mech has weapons with different optimal/max range values? Is the minimap going to be filled with circles?

Also, I think that being able to view friendly mech loadouts would be much better, although I kinda like being able to see optimal and max range of my weapons on the minimap, since I look there a lot more often than on the weapon list itself

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 08 December 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#4 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:28 AM

So the idea is that you can choose to display either the minimum, maximum, or every optimal weapon ranges per Mech. Typically you will choose to display a single ring per Mech (the min or the max optimal range).

That it doesn't appear on the minimap (only the BattleMap), and that you can toggle that display on/off, in which case the ring(s) will only only appear for either yourself, or for the friendly mech(s) you have manually selected on that BattleMap.

And that it would be totally impractical for the Company Commander to go check the loadout of each other mech as his way of figuring out who's who in a glimpse : Displaying the rings would allow him to instantly get a simplified but general idea of the company as a whole, specially if he toggles the display between their min and max optimal ranges.

Feature abuse : You don't want the local egocentric Company Commander tyrant who's just way too full of himself to abuse his ability to check friendly loadouts, by spending the whole game checking and griefing players for not bringing the exact weapons load he wanted each one to come bring to him as their way of worshiping him... And yes, we do have griefers like that, way more then we need in fact, which is probably why PGI doesn't allow players to check friendly Mech loadouts to begin with.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 08 December 2018 - 11:47 AM.

#5 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:18 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 08 December 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

So the idea is that you can choose to display either the minimum, maximum, or every optimal weapon ranges per Mech. Typically you will choose to display a single ring per Mech (the min or the max optimal range).

That it doesn't appear on the minimap (only the BattleMap), and that you can toggle that display on/off, in which case the ring(s) will only only appear for either yourself, or for the friendly mech(s) you have manually selected on that BattleMap.

And that it would be totally impractical for the Company Commander to go check the loadout of each other mech as his way of figuring out who's who in a glimpse : Displaying the rings would allow him to instantly get a simplified but general idea of the company as a whole, specially if he toggles the display between their min and max optimal ranges.

Feature abuse : You don't want the local egocentric Company Commander tyrant who's just way too full of himself to abuse his ability to check friendly loadouts, by spending the whole game checking and griefing players for not bringing the exact weapons load he wanted each one to come bring to him as their way of worshiping him... And yes, we do have griefers like that, way more then we need in fact, which is probably why PGI doesn't allow players to check friendly Mech loadouts to begin with.

If that's the case, I support this idea.

#6 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 08 December 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

That is still too complex and would require a lot of work from a commander. Additionally, that info might not be representative. A better idea could be to show some kind of mode, based on alpha strike amount of weapons with same optimal distance.
I still think watching loadouts is better. At least you would be sure of what to expect from a certain mech.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 09 December 2018 - 08:26 AM.

#7 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

I mean it's not like this game is heavy on communication or anything

#8 GreenHawk

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:12 AM

While it could be useful, generally you do not have the time to make this happen.

If it did occur, then I see it only working in the following situiations
1) seeing the optimal range of weapon group "1"
2) seeing the optimal range of weapon group "2"

What the weapon is is semi-pointless after that as you get into the "why you running that build" crap from people. This above approach at least will take into account skill point usage as well.

But knowing too much about a mech only goes so far, as at the end of the day, they need to listen to who ever wants to be the commander. And like that happens in quick drop. Maybe in faction it would be an option, but definitely not quick play.

Personally, I would see there being 2 changes that would make me happier when playing.
1) being able to see who has what, so I can go with people that suits my mech/play style. ie: no point going with a sniper/lrm boat if you have no short ranged weapons).
2) to see the battle map once you have died (to help coordinate the combat once dead). Even if only the battle map from the perspective of the mech/pilot you are specing can see it.

#9 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:13 AM

I could see this used for something like C3master equipment maybe. Possibly for the Command Console (which we already have with some stats on).

#10 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:54 AM

View PostGreenHawk, on 13 December 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

But knowing too much about a mech only goes so far, as at the end of the day, they need to listen to who ever wants to be the commander. And like that happens in quick drop. Maybe in faction it would be an option, but definitely not quick play.

even in lower tiers most groups usually listen if someone is calling targets or giving directions. the only real exception is in 4/5 where people tend to be to timid when a push is called but that can normally be solved if you take the initiative to lead it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users