90 replies to this topic

#1 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

In times past what you brought to a Clan drop deck was a highly compromised affair. As it stands currently Clan tech has optimal combinations of mechs in every single weight class. The situation has been bad for some time, but has gotten noticeably worse in recent months.

Where as in times past clan assaults were lemons there are Blood Asps and Mad Cats as far eye can see.

Non-optimal Summoners have been replaced by powerful dakka Gyrs, Linebackers or Orions. Mediocre Novas have been replaced by Huntsmen and Hunchbacks. The new Vapor Eagle is proving supremely competent in a variety of roles. Front loading gets worse with each mech release. Crit lynx, Artic Wolves and Piranhas have enabled very powerful combinations of mechs during any of the four waves of combat.

This utility has not been matched by corresponding increase in useful I.S. dropdecks. Clan has gained meta mechs at a rate faster than that of the I.S. To win I.S. must have very tailored specific counters. One can know the map but not necessarily your opponent. This creates a situation where I.S. guesses incorrectly more frequently. With faction population so low the normal metrics of planet capture or slider position imbalance are not sufficient to generate notice by the devs(if they even monitor it).

Absent population pressures the best teams always trend towards Clan given a choice. The ability to dish out more damage and other stats creates incentives to play as them.

Weight must be reduced to achieve either win parity or damage parity. I suggest a reduction to 245 tons.

#2 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

no

#3 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

Why? How would 245 tons prevent you from playing? Do you agree with any of the ideas I presented?

#4 Valdorel

• PipPip
  • The Soviet
  • The Soviet
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:56 PM

Dropweight isnt the problem. And all this would accomplish anyways is that Clan players will just drop a couple tons off their lightest or second lightest mech. At that point the match is usually already won or lost.

IS also has PLENTY of mechs that can hold their own vs Clans. Quad LBX10 assaults and Warhammers galore are just as effective in equal hands as any clan mech to give an example.

Besides, Clan laser meta just got indirectly nerfed a bit in the heat changes with HLL's now being slightly to hot to make sense over a LPL.

#5 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 08 December 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

Why? How would 245 tons prevent you from playing? Do you agree with any of the ideas I presented?

No, and no there is no reason to reduce clans yet again, played yesterday around 8 drops as IS and did not lose a single drop, the tonnage is fine.

#6 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:39 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 08 December 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

I play about 50/50 IS and Clan, right now it's very balanced, there is no reason to try and break the balance

#7 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:05 PM

MK-II B <-------- Arms all day. One arm turns it into a medium mech. Both arms turns into a stick. When you turn one into a stick just leave it, don't kill them. Make them waste as much time as possible getting another spawn.

Blood Asp <-------- I don't see the appeal. Blast off its side torsos, they're easy to hit and it seems too slow and fat to twist anything off.

#8 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

View PostLeggin Ho, on 08 December 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

No, and no there is no reason to reduce clans yet again, played yesterday around 8 drops as IS and did not lose a single drop, the tonnage is fine.

You only have 18 matches this season. I have played everyday for months. I face the same top tier guys on the Clan side during NA primetime each night. If they were agnostic this would not be so. Plus they are not rank grinding, they switch frequently. The nature of the tech differences is informing distribution of players beyond wait time consideration.

#9 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 08 December 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

I face the same top tier guys on the Clan side during NA primetime each night

they switch frequently

... ?

I think you're just not noticing all the time they spend playing IS because when they go IS you're unlikely to end up in games with them

there's a few maps/modes where clan is a little stronger, and a few where IS is a little stronger, but overall balance is surprisingly good right now, no need to fix something that isn't broken. "Top tier guys" these days just play which ever side they can find drops in. It's not uncommon to switch like 5 times a night

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

I only care about NA primetime. I am not going to play in the middle of the afternoon when they are fighting Europeans.

I am not switching myself I have five ranks of FRR to finish.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 December 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#11 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

IS loyalist wants Clan tonnage weight dropped lol...

IS is slightly stronger now than Clans in FP

#12 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:14 PM

Why not play your preferred faction then? Why always Clan?

#13 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

I'm only clan because IS queue is horribly long. I'm maintaining a Marik perm contract and I jump back whenever pop allows it. The only reason you don't see me IS is because you're IS.

#14 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

We could increase tonnage based on Player Tier instead :
- Tier1 : Default value
- Tier2 : +5T
- Tier3 : +10T
- Tier4 : +15T
- Tier5 : +20T

#15 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

You only have 18 matches this season. I have played everyday for months. I face the same top tier guys on the Clan side during NA primetime each night. If they were agnostic this would not be so. Plus they are not rank grinding, they switch frequently. The nature of the tech differences is informing distribution of players beyond wait time consideration.

I have 18 matches this cycle but thousands since closed beta, so please try again as to why the balance is off right now.. The balance is good and so much better than it has been which is one reason I started playing again.

#16 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

IS loyalist here. Have been one, always will be one.

I don't think that the clan has too much tonnage.

*kanye shrug*

Edited by J a y, 08 December 2018 - 07:26 PM.

#17 Bjorn Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:39 AM

Tonnage has always been a poor argument for what I assume is a perceived advantage that you've concluded the Clans have over IS. And your credibility isn't helped much when you're an IS pilot making such a claim I'm afraid. Take responsibility to negate these "perceived" advantages through coordination/teamwork and optimal mech builds. And if those aren't working for you, tonnage is the least of your concerns.

#18 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:11 AM

This crap again...… NO.

#19 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:12 AM

I play both sides, and the Clan vs IS balance seems to me to be pretty close at the moment.

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:18 AM

Regardless of any opinion on the state of balance, asymmetric drop weights mask problems instead of fixing them - It might be necessary in the short run, but in the long run we need the tech options to balance against each other.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users