244 replies to this topic

#41 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:15 AM

We will see what happens.
My main LRM mech...a.nova cat B rolls with CAP , TAG, NARC and LRM 70.
And about 2800 missiles.
LRM80 kills assaults faster...but I miss the utility of NARC and better hits on small targets.
I always try to be in NARC range.

If there is another LRM mech in the match I always try to keep 150m away....that way you can backscratch if there are pesky lights around.

#42 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:55 AM

View PostKroete, on 11 December 2018 - 03:04 AM, said:

Good code would give a simple attribute to exclude streaks from the artemis effect, it would also give the option to simple implement that switch if needed. Removing a feature of artemis as a fix, is a clear sign that they cant implement that simple switch (one line of code!).

Well in case of artemis lock-on time the main problem is a design one and can't be fixed with better code:
Imagine equipping both streaks and LRMs on a mech. Base lock-on time for both is X. Without artemis that's fine, you hold the reticle over the target for X seconds and can then fire both weapons.

But now add artemis to the mix. By lore artemis only affects LRMs, so now your artemis LRMs will lock on within less than X seconds while your streaks are supposed to keep X. But you only have one reticle to visualize your lock-on.

So do you visualize the LRM or the streak lock-on? Both cases would be perceived as buggy and misleading, so PGI decided to break lore and give streaks the same benefit until august patch where they removed the bonus completely.

As you can see the problem was having only one reticle to visualize a lock, so there was no way to fix this problem with better coding, it would have required a whole new (and most likely worse) lock-on visualization design.

The only thing i can criticize PGI for in this case is that they have not been transparent back then and never told us that they had to break with lore in favor of a smooth gameplay experience. So we assumed that streaks benefitting from artemis was a bug or 'undocumented feature'.

Edited by Daggett, 11 December 2018 - 06:41 AM.

#43 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:25 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 10 December 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

My favourite light Mech for Lurmaggeddon days is a Kitfox with ECM, 3 AMS, 3 HML, 4MGs.
For more utility I take the Nova S, managed to get 1600+ missiles as my record so far.
For more surviveability the Crab 27.

I just have not found a Heavy with a minimum of 2 AMS AND a good setup that works for me.

The Corsair pirate mech will have double AMS. One of the regular Corsair mechs will have 4 AMS points. 4! ON AN ASSAULT MECHS! <3 Can't wait.

Edited by Acersecomic, 11 December 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#44 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:39 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 11 December 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

The Corsair pirate mech will have double AMS. One of the regular Corsair mechs will have 4 AMS points. 4! ON AN ASSAULT MECHS! <3 Can't wait.

The really interesting part is that it's finally an IS mech that gets 4 AMS. Posted Image

#45 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:27 AM

View PostAppogee, on 11 December 2018 - 03:02 AM, said:

TKing is bad, but...

A Fafnir.

With LRMs.

Its fun to re-direct the flow of traffic or punish anyone that just walks forward. Completely different play style from poking,brawling,flanking etc and i dig that change now and then.

#46 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:29 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 11 December 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

I know. But I really suck playing Assaults. Never really got the hang of it. Now if they introduce a 4 AMS Heavy Mech, I am so going to get that. ;)

#47 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:49 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 10 December 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

your the one to blame for this map and then shoots me. It actually ended up being a pretty fun match came down to last 3 mechs... but whats the deal ?

So in fact you got team killed for voting a QP map up...

It's toxic attitude that's way up, you'll get team killed for standing behind/in front, moving/not moving, bringing your own mech or your own weapons... or whatever else someone's overblown ego can't cope with : Some players started team killing on purpose because the penalties are just way too weak, and since that worked out fine for them, more started doing it...

Snowball effect !

How would I fix that ? Disconnect from match with 24h penalty IF the one you team kill decides to report you for it. Problem Fixed !

#48 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:50 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 11 December 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

I know. But I really suck playing Assaults. Never really got the hang of it. Now if they introduce a 4 AMS Heavy Mech, I am so going to get that. Posted Image

It's big and it is slow. You either have to hit really hard and twist or be an opressive dps pressence so the enemy has to turn away not to shoot at you.
So either things like AC/20 with laser burns or Heavy Gausses, or Rotaries with some pinpoint.
What you can do in terms of stepping up your Assault game could be taking an 80 tonner like Awesome, putting in max Light engine and adding all the Speed Tweak nodes with a bit of acc/dec, which is what I've done with my Fafnir and now it goes 56.6 <3

Edited by Acersecomic, 11 December 2018 - 09:51 AM.

#49 Mycroft Sandoval-Davion

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

Opinion warning:
Teams are "balanced" by tonnage. When you take a mech with several tons of armor that you are not going to share or even use, you are hurting your team. An IS assault like a Fafnir needs to be taking pressure off teammates. There are a number of Heavy and Medium mechs that are competent LRM carriers. Taking 100 tons and then playing support is going to rub players the wrong way, particularly on a map where those tons are needed on the front line.

Not at all saying the behavior was justified. Even in a match when a Spider repeatedly jumped on my KGC and tried to "surf" it have I resorted to friendly fire. I wanted to though. I really wanted to.

#50 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

I just logged in for this ...

View PostHumble Dexter, on 11 December 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

How would I fix that ? Disconnect from match with 24h penalty IF the one you team kill decides to report you for it. Problem Fixed !

Nope. A permanent ban and account deletion should quickly put an end to such toxic behavior.

#51 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:36 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 11 December 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

So in fact you got team killed for voting a QP map up...

It's toxic attitude that's way up, you'll get team killed for standing behind/in front, moving/not moving, bringing your own mech or your own weapons... or whatever else someone's overblown ego can't cope with : Some players started team killing on purpose because the penalties are just way too weak, and since that worked out fine for them, more started doing it...

Snowball effect !

He didn't TK me he shot at me a couple times and i got on comms and told him i was recording ( i was not,but i just wanted him to stop so we could play the game). I ended up doing 1400 dmg with 5 kmdd's and 11 assists, our team won.

#52 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostNimoStar, on 10 December 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

It requires for you to have extra map awareness for the min range and also for obstacles int he path of the lurms.

Ooooh, "extra" map awareness!

#53 Mycroft Sandoval-Davion

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

"1400 dmg with 5 KMDDs and 11 assists"

If LRM boats weren't capable of doing that, players wouldn't take them. However, if multiple people take IS Assaults for that job, it screws your frontline fighters. Trebs, Cats, Archers, or any Clan mech (since they can fire LRMs on the frontline) are more efficient choices for your team because they aren't carrying a bunch of armor they don't need. Surely you've lost a match where multiple assaults were hiding behind a hill Lurming away while the heavies and left over assaults got clobbered. There is no way you are in a unit and don't understand the concept of sharing armor.

Edited by LordBaronVonVaderham, 11 December 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#54 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostMystere, on 11 December 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

Nope. A permanent ban and account deletion should quickly put an end to such toxic behavior.

So rando commando jumps in front of my dual lbx20 that is pointed at an enemy and said commando gets deleted by my shot. Now i get to lose all my mechs because some lightmech wants to get inbetween two assaults sluging it out.. no.

#55 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 10 December 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Is LRM Shaming still alive and well ??

Sadly... yes.

Some a-holes never change..

#56 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

View PostLordBaronVonVaderham, on 11 December 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

"1400 dmg with 5 KMDDs and 11 assists"

If LRM boats weren't capable of doing that, players wouldn't take them. However, if multiple people take IS Assaults for that job, it screws your frontline fighters. Trebs, Cats, Archers, or any Clan mech (since they can fire LRMs on the frontline) are more efficient choices for your team because they aren't carrying a bunch of armor they don't need. Surely you've lost a match where multiple assaults were hiding behind a hill Lurming away while the heavies and left over assaults got clobbered. There is no way you are in a unit and don't understand the concept of sharing armor.

1400 damage in a lrm mech is the exact opposite of the kind of gameplay that is needed and precisely the kind that drives player population into the ground

Edited by thievingmagpi, 11 December 2018 - 03:13 PM.

#57 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 11 December 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

Its fun to re-direct the flow of traffic or punish anyone that just walks forward. Completely different play style from poking,brawling,flanking etc and i dig that change now and then.

I understand. But... a Fafnir...?!

It's so slow. Plus an LRM boat in QP just doesn't need all that armor.

I played an LRM boat in suitable maps/teams in Faction Play, and I find it's much much better to take a faster Heavy (eg. Archer, Thanatos) that can manoevre with the team, share some armor, and not be vulnerable to backstabbing Lights.

You'd be much better advised to take a faster Heavy Mech as Archer or Thanatos. Several are quirked for missile fire rate and heat.

#58 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

View PostGrus, on 11 December 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

So rando commando jumps in front of my dual lbx20 that is pointed at an enemy and said commando gets deleted by my shot. Now i get to lose all my mechs because some lightmech wants to get inbetween two assaults sluging it out.. no.

That is what good judgement on the part of the support team is for. Or did you think it was to be done only by an automatic algorithm?

#59 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

View PostMystere, on 11 December 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

That is what good judgement on the part of the support team is for. Or did you think it was to be done only by an automatic algorithm?
automatic algorithm... because what support team?

#60 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostMystere, on 11 December 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

Team kills happen, and you can't have PGI manually go check every last one of them for a permaban.

You just want to make sure the team killer pays a bigger price then the one team killed, IF the one team killed decides to report it, with a big automatic penalty that's still small enough that no manual investigation is required.

And no, it doesn't help if they just leg you : Toxic players know their stuff, including how to stay under the radar.

But you said you managed to have a good game even with one leg, right ? Posted Image

Edited by Humble Dexter, 11 December 2018 - 04:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users