244 replies to this topic

#1 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:35 PM

Is LRM Shaming still alive and well ??

I hadn't played in a while so i jumped into a FAFNIR with 4x lrm20's for the lolz. Polar Highlands was selected. I let my team know what i had, and some goon shouts out ... your the one to blame for this map and then shoots me. It actually ended up being a pretty fun match came down to last 3 mechs... but whats the deal ?

#2 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

M2c...

Its a low skill weapon system thats actually effective if used correctly.. see also "noob tube" salt.

#3 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:45 PM

View PostGrus, on 10 December 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

M2c...

Its a low skill weapon system thats actually effective if used correctly.. see also "noob tube" salt.

I wouldn't call it a low skill weapon per say, more like different skill required.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

What skill is required on Polar, especially with NARC?

Lurms ask little of the motor visual system.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:57 PM

Lurms are considered "easier" than most other weapons because they don't require the user to aim at a specific hitbox on the target enemy mech. Or, in other words, the location you aim your mouse does not make any difference in how your weapon behaves. You either have a lock or don't. The computer decides where your missiles land. Conversely, if you aim at the wrong hitbox with an autocannon or laser, your shot will hit the wrong place on the target or possibly miss outright.

That being said, unfriendly fire and other saltiness from your teammates was not justified. The most reaction I have is to just poke fun at Lurmboats by saying things like "ERPPC boat here please hold locks."

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

Lurmers need to learn to use direct fire weapons or they are going to be very angry come Tuesday when ice cold stealth armor will prevent ANY missile locks on friendly targets within 100m of a mech so equipped.

Edited by Spheroid, 10 December 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:02 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 10 December 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Lurmers need to learn to use direct fire weapons or they are going to be very angry come Tuesday when ice cold stealth armor will prevent ANY missile locks on targets within 100m of a mech so equipped.

Any Lurm user that doesn't pack some sort of backup weapons (i.e. LRM40 + 4 MPL Vulture) is really doing it wrong.

#8 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 10 December 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

I hadn't played in a while so i jumped into a FAFNIR with 4x lrm20's for the lolz. Polar Highlands was selected. I let my team know what i had, and some goon shouts out ... your the one to blame for this map and then shoots me. It actually ended up being a pretty fun match came down to last 3 mechs... but whats the deal ?

Yep, LRM shaming still is a thing for two reasons:
  • Many players use lurms wrong. Despite it's name LRMs are not that viable as a long-range weapon in QP. So you got lots of LRM assaults sitting way too far behind the front where they are ineffective and vulnerable to lights. So it's understandable that many players moan when they see an LRM-assault.
  • Many LRM haters come from traditional shooters and value aiming skill over everything. If something does not require aim, it's trash in their eyes (or at least should be trash).

So, what can you do?
First, don't be one of those lurmers who contribute to the meme. Contribute to your team instead by staying near your other assaults and heavies and help them pushing with your presence and armor. 4 assaults charging have much more success than only 2 assaults, regardless of weapons used.

Second, just don't tell anyone in a match that you are running lurms. Get your own locks, because your team will almost never provide them if half of them have the picture of the dreaded "hold locks please" potato assault sitting at 900m away from the front in their head. Just do your stuff and do it good. Posted Image

View PostFupDup, on 10 December 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

Any Lurm user that doesn't pack some sort of backup weapons (i.e. LRM40 + 4 MPL Vulture) is really doing it wrong.

I tend to differentiate here. For beginning and intermediate LRM users i agree with you, they should pack those backup weapons because they have to learn the flow of each map first. Once you mastered positioning an LRM boat however, you can do fine without backup weapons and concentrate on maximizing LRM dps.

Edited by Daggett, 10 December 2018 - 01:24 PM.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:25 PM

View PostDaggett, on 10 December 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

I tend to differentiate here. For beginning and intermediate LRM users i agree with you, they should pack those backup weapons because they have to learn the flow of each map first. Once you mastered positioning an LRM boat however, you can do fine without backup weapons and concentrate on maximizing LRM dps.

Somewhere out in the periphery, there's a Piranha licking his lips after reading this.

Beyond that it's also pretty good for finishing off exposed components in a way that giant spreads of missiles aren't that great for. Furthermore whenever I do use Lurms I'm more of an "aggressive Lurmer" that actually puts his neck in the firing line to share armor, for which having some backup guns is helpful.

Edited by FupDup, 10 December 2018 - 01:28 PM.

#10 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:30 PM

Its a high skill weapon system that's actually maliciously effective if used correctly.. see also "noob tube" salt.
Corrected that for yaPosted Image

#11 Galaxie 500

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:40 PM

View PostDaggett, on 10 December 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

Second, just don't tell anyone in a match that you are running lurms. Get your own locks, because your team will almost never provide them if half of them have the picture of the dreaded "hold locks please" potato assault sitting at 900m away from the

This. And I'd like to add that hearing someone announce that they're driving a LRM boat right at the start of the match tends to have a fairly demoralizing effect and I would even say it contributes significantly to the likelihood of a loss. A lot of players, when they hear that, treat it much the same as if they had just noticed a disconnect on the team. Obviously there are some LRM meisters who will contribute strongly to a win in the average QP match, but most of them know that there is nothing to be gained by announcing what they're doing. Most other players either press R on nearly every opponent as a basic habit, or they don't. Most are very unlikely to change their own targeting behavior based on knowing that someone else is specifically hoping to benefit from their locks. They either already assume that their locks are good for the team, or they don't care and won't learn anytime soon.

#12 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 10 December 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Somewhere out in the periphery, there's a Piranha licking his lips after reading this.

Beyond that it's also pretty good for finishing off exposed components in a way that giant spreads of missiles aren't that great for. Furthermore whenever I do use Lurms I'm more of an "aggressive Lurmer" that actually puts his neck in the firing line to share armor, for which having some backup guns is helpful.

If you are at the front, no Piranha that wants to survive will try to backstab you. Posted Image
And in the rare case you should not have any brotection from your team for some reason, i would always put my bet on the highly mobile light mech than a few backup lasers if both pilots have similar skill. Same is true when your team gets stomped, no backup weapons will save your *** here.

But you are still correct, backup weapons can amplify your lrm damage and take out cored components, but having more LRM dps instead has it's own uses when combined with good positioning. So yes, having backup weapons is great, i would never argue against their usefulness. But just because you get eaten by Piranhas without those does not mean that others will necessarily get eaten too. Posted Image

#13 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:48 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 10 December 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

Its a high skill weapon system that's actually maliciously effective if used correctly.. see also "noob tube" salt.
Corrected that for yaPosted Image

It does need a few brain cells. But direct fire will always need more brain power to use correctly. Thus, low brain power lower skill required to make them effective.

#14 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

Its the 100ton+ lrm that was the issue.

You basically told your team at the start you will not be playing with them and will be standing in the back.

It you take a maddog,archer or something faster i bet you see a lot less hate.

#15 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

Actually, the thing I see interesting is how I now see so much LRM heavy Mechs in Tier 1 Pug Matches. So many used to forgo them as a no skill weapon, must be sometimes using them now.

#16 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

Shaming lurmwhales? BLASPHEMY! They are my favorite bait for catching piranhas :(

#17 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 10 December 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Larsh says it perfectly in the video in this thread - you can bring LRMs, just don't admit you're bringing LRMs.

Too many of us have had too many potato Lurmers sitting at 900 meters and not hitting anything to not have a little PTSD on this.

For my part, I do get pissed when someone brags about their 80 or 120 tubes at beginning of game and then says "hold locks for lrms."

#18 Grandpaw

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMiddlesboro,Ky

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

View PostGrus, on 10 December 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

M2c...

As opposed to air and arty strikes which everyone loves and which take sooooo much skill to use! lol

#19 HenryFA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 192 posts
  • LocationHunting down LRM assaults

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

hiding behind the team with 100T of armor is fun for you, not so fun for your team

#20 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:39 PM

For me its just an ineffecient weapon. Needing too much ammo and heat to do damage. LOTS of ways to counter it also. Just not enough bang for the buck for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users