Put Up Your Guns! - Gunslinger Support Thread (Even More New Art!)

BattleMechs

136 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:26 PM

Even though it's not the wild west, everyone needs a good gunslinger. The Gunslinger is an 85 ton assault mech built by Steiner, Kurita & Davion to fight the Clans. It sports great hardpoints, 1 ton JJs, ECM and excellent to good mounts on a torso that are on a damage spreading body that the volumetric gods should treat quite nicely. It brings JJs to the IS 85 tonners as well as a more ballistic focused mech.

Sarna page:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gunslinger

Big props to the artists for their excellent work.

By jjm1 or user000000000001
https://www.devianta...ser000000000001
Posted Image
Posted Image

By Bishop Steiner
https://www.devianta...m/bishopsteiner
Posted Image

By steampoweredmikej
https://www.devianta...eampoweredmikej
Posted Image

By GiorgioEspinos
https://www.devianta.../giorgioespinos
Posted Image
Posted Image
By Fed0t
https://www.deviantart.com/fed0t
Posted Image
Gunslinger Mini
Posted Image

Thank you for getting to this point in the thread and a big thank you to the artists for sharing their talents.

There is a lore hero called the Bowslinger that gets a pair of Zeus missile arms instead of it's guass rifles but what do you guys think? Also what would you do to improve the variant variety fo this mech? Perhaps a varriant that swaps the ballistic and energy HPs? Or maybe a Kurita variant with all energy?

Thanks to FupDup we have this tidy little breakdown of the variants.
Posted Image

As far as MW5 goes, it's true that the Gunslinger would not be in it's timeline but introducing the Gunslinger and others from later eras is a good way to get ready for clan invasion or later DLC.

If you like this mech or want to see it in game please make sure you support it by posting here, "liking" the OP, tweeting Russ & co, posting on Reddit or voting for it in polls.

Vote here! https://mwomercs.com...mech-pack-poll/

Reddit thread
https://www.reddit.c...linger_artwork/

NGNG Gunslinger thread:
http://www.nogutsnog...ic=4748.new#new

Also, please stay on topic about the Gunslinger.

Edited by TheArisen, 04 May 2019 - 12:01 PM.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:47 PM

mt two Hero ideas:
#1: A Kurita hero built to have no need of resupply. A Quartermaster's dream, no ammo to worry about, just cutting edge, high energy tech. And maybe a pair of Heavy PPCs in a jumping, ECM equipped mech. Posted Image

#2 Is a FedCom Hunter Killer. Autocannon based (Davion, dontcha know?) with a much higher ground speed to allow it to keep up with the more fluid modern battlefield. It's overall hardpoints aren't much different, but the higher engine cap and MASC more than make up for that.
Posted Image

#3 trajan331

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

Top one looks way better than any Gunslinger art I have ever seen.

#4 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:25 PM

All my yes!

We've had the PGI homebrew 'mechs
We've had the MW3 & MW4 nostalgia 'mechs
We've had the 3025 'mechs

Time for something *great* again Posted Image

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:27 PM

This is not an IS Omni. >:C

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 10 December 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#6 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:29 PM

View Posttrajan331, on 10 December 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

Top one looks way better than any Gunslinger art I have ever seen.

I don't know. It's a nice job but there's too much Sunder in that torso for my tastes. ( and small fet for such a large mech :P ) I prefer Bishop's and Steampoweredmike's because they kept the round esthetics.

#7 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 10 December 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

There is a lore hero that gets a pair of Zeus missile arms instead of it's guass rifles but what do you guys think?

I think if it gets those 7E torso hardpoints and a hardpoint inflated pair of 3M arms, plus the ECM + JJs, it will be just glorious.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 December 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

True, but it's certainly better than the Templar, Sunder or Hauptmann

#8 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:32 PM

View PostChapeL, on 10 December 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

I don't know. It's a nice job but there's too much Sunder in that torso for my tastes. ( and small fet for such a large mech :P ) I prefer Bishop's and Steampoweredmike's because they kept the round esthetics.

I firmly believe that IS 'Mechs should never be round. Curves are for ClanTech.

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 December 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

I firmly believe that IS 'Mechs should never be round. Curves are for ClanTech.

B-b-b-b-but Urbies.

#10 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 December 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Push for the Hauptmann or Strider - both are IS omni's that use standard engines , so pgi dosnt have to thunk their way through the IS XL omnimech problem.

#11 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:39 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 10 December 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

Push for the Hauptmann or Strider - both are IS omni's that use standard engines , so pgi dosnt have to thunk their way through the IS XL omnimech problem.

Strider has hardlocked SHS and double CASE. Beyond that it has very limited pod space and hardpoints, making it a sad gundam overall.

Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 10 December 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#12 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 10 December 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

XL is not a burden.

The Raptor is the hands-down most powerful IS Light Omni (and is canonically the first IS Omni ever). For Assaults, I back the Templar since it's a Battlemaster and the Battlemaster has proven itself with XLs already. Mediums, Men Shen...because its got a Crab-like shape to spread damage like a boss. Heavy, Black Hawk KU because it's just a 10-ton heavier Nova and the Nova can also spread damage like a boss.

Anyway, I didn't want to hijack the thread. I'm just posting the obligatory "IS OMNIS PLS" billboard so PGI sees it everywhere until I at least get my Raptor. :P

#13 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 December 2018 - 04:42 PM, said:

XL is not a burden.

The Raptor is the hands-down most powerful IS Light Omni (and is canonically the first IS Omni ever). For Assaults, I back the Templar since it's a Battlemaster and the Battlemaster has proven itself with XLs already. Mediums, Men Shen...because its got a Crab-like shape to spread damage like a boss. Heavy, Black Hawk KU because it's just a 10-ton heavier Nova and the Nova can also spread damage like a boss.

Eh, I'm gonna disagree on the Templar. For one the Battlemaster is very easy to remove a side torso from, and secondly you've got barely any critslots for building with.
Posted Image

Very limited choices you can do with that slot layout.

#14 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

View PostFupDup, on 10 December 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

Strider has hardlocked SHS and double CASE. Beyond that it has very limited pod space and hardpoints, making it a sad gundam overall.

They can easily choose to not hardlock something (Such as with a lot of the clan omni's hardwired weapons, like the adder's flamer) but it takes a lot more effort to 'bend' xl engines to work properly, baby steps.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 December 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

XL is not a burden.

Not a burden for smaller faster mechs, soon as you hit Avatar and Sunder territory your in trashville - both having huge side torsos, baby arms and not enough speed to protect them. (Though or its size sunder is pretty fast, the avatar is the opposite.)

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 10 December 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

They can easily choose to not hardlock something (Such as with a lot of the clan omni's hardwired weapons, like the adder's flamer) but it takes a lot more effort to 'bend' xl engines to work properly, baby steps.

There's an existent chance of PGI being merciful enough to let us remove the CASE units, but they're going to keep heatsink types locked down no question.

#16 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

View PostFupDup, on 10 December 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

Eh, I'm gonna disagree on the Templar. For one the Battlemaster is very easy to remove a side torso from, and secondly you've got barely any critslots for building with.
Posted Image

Very limited choices you can do with that slot layout.

The BLR used XLs for years. It has never had strong durability quirks and yet it was still one of the most potent Assaults the IS had against Clan 'Mechs at medium and long ranges. And it still is.

I'm not saying it will be great, or define any new metas, but it will be serviceable as long as they don't gimp its torso twist like they did the BLR-1G/3M. I think more serviceable than a Sunder and about on par with the Hauptmann.

#17 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:07 PM

Haha I want IS omnis too but let's talk about the Gunslinger here.

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 December 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Anyway, I didn't want to hijack the thread. I'm just posting the obligatory "IS OMNIS PLS" billboard so PGI sees it everywhere until I at least get my Raptor. Posted Image

Maybe for better advertisement you could put that in your signature? :P

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 December 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

The BLR used XLs for years. It has never had strong durability quirks and yet it was still one of the most potent Assaults the IS had against Clan 'Mechs at medium and long ranges. And it still is.

I'm not saying it will be great, or define any new metas, but it will be serviceable as long as they don't gimp its torso twist like they did the BLR-1G/3M. I think more serviceable than a Sunder and about on par with the Hauptmann.

Keep in mind the Templar won't have nearly as many high-mounted hardpoints as the Battlemaster (3 at most, and only if they give us the Alternate E), or the free customization that lets you pack in a bunch of heatsinks for cooling. This is going to be pushed into ballistic-focused roles because you've got too much tonnage relative to the slots available, and with about half of your firepower in low arms necessitating more exposure. Thus, the XL risk will be that much greater.

A final large factor is that just like the Spanish Inquisition, people don't usually expect an IS assault to pack an XL. This element of uncertainty can work in your favor. With the Templar, there will be no uncertainty. Everyone on the red team will always know what engine you have and thus they will be more eager to focus on one of your sides.

The Sunder probably wouldn't be much better though other than the hardpoints and critslots department. Hauptmann is IMO just a boring Dire-Whale superslow assault but at least it wouldn't have potential durability issues. Really though these conversations just highlight that PGI doesn't go remotely far enough when it comes to dealing with bad robots. If they're not going to ever change the base tech then they're going to have to man up and give stronk quirks and agility to these mechs.

#19 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:06 PM

Hmmmm... The ideas above all work out. Do it all

#20 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:17 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 December 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

mt two Hero ideas:
#1: A Kurita hero built to have no need of resupply. A Quartermaster's dream, no ammo to worry about, just cutting edge, high energy tech. And maybe a pair of Heavy PPCs in a jumping, ECM equipped mech. Posted Image

#2 Is a FedCom Hunter Killer. Autocannon based (Davion, dontcha know?) with a much higher ground speed to allow it to keep up with the more fluid modern battlefield. It's overall hardpoints aren't much different, but the higher engine cap and MASC more than make up for that.
Posted Image

I'd like both please! We could keep the lore hero with it's missile arms and have these as the reinforcement variants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users