Put Old Maps Back Into Rotation !

74 replies to this topic

#1 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:39 AM

Anyone see a down side to throwing old frozen city, caustic and therma back into the rotation ? I miss those maps. why leave them out ??

#2 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:58 PM

I'm astonished that you're neglecting old Forest Colony.

#3 tacorodwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWexford, Ireland

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

That is a really good idea. Why not.

#4 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:19 PM

I'm in favor of bringing them back.

#5 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:13 PM

I have a vote for this going on!

#6 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

We all love the old maps. From what I understand however they either erased them or are stored in such a manner that they can't put them back in the rotation. This was addressed years ago by PGI and reasons given to why its not feasible. That and apparently the person who heads up the maps is embarrassed by the "quality" of those maps, in his opinion.

#7 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:29 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 13 December 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

From what I understand however they either erased them or are stored in such a manner that they can't put them back in the rotation. This was addressed years ago by PGI and reasons given to why its not feasible.

Source?

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 13 December 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

Anyone see a down side to throwing old frozen city, caustic and therma back into the rotation ? I miss those maps. why leave them out ??

Those maps are no good due to common player behavior + 12v12 format we have in QP.

Old Frozen City = Bad spawn locations, literally one place to fight (around the downed dropship) and thanks to 12v12, flanking secretly via the tunnel and/or below the cliff are very hard to successfully pull off.

Old Therma = Literally one place to fight (the center, good luck convincing the pugs to go elsewhere), and usually whoever gets there first wins the engagement. 12v12 means people will get stuck at the entrance even more, and contribute to even worse snowball effect.

Old Caustic = You think LRM spam in current Caustic is bad? Old Caustic has far less cover against LRMs. You think Nascaring is bad in current Caustic? Old Caustic is even more Nascar inducing due to less rocks blocking your progress.

Old Forest Colony = In 12v12? Now that's a good joke. Even with 8v8 back then the map was too small and crowded, and choke points were too punishing.

Old River City = Yeah, lets shoot each other straight from spawn from the beginning. Those with high end PCs will really love it.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 December 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#9 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Old Frozen City = Bad spawn locations, literally one place to fight (around the downed dropship) and thanks to 12v12, flanking secretly via the tunnel and/or below the cliff are very hard to successfully pull off.

Old Therma = Literally one place to fight (the center, good luck convincing the pugs to go elsewhere), and usually whoever gets there first wins the engagement. 12v12 means people will get stuck at the entrance even more, and contribute to even worse snowball effect.

Old Caustic = You think LRM spam in current Caustic is bad? Old Caustic has far less cover against LRMs. You think Nascaring is bad in current Caustic? Old Caustic is even more Nascar inducing due to less rocks blocking your progress.

Old Forest Colony = In 12v12? Now that's a good joke. Even with 8v8 back then the map was too small and crowded, and choke points were too punishing.

These maps were a lot of fun, nevertheless.
Also I guess you should learn to play, from the comments you give.

The basic idea is that the are candidates in the mapvote.
If they are bad, they won't be picked.
It's just an additional option.

#10 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:49 PM

View Postcyclist1994, on 13 December 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

Source?

Russ in a NGNG podcast...

#11 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 13 December 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

Russ in a NGNG podcast...

Then give us the link, please.
I can't believe that they lost the source files.

#12 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:26 PM

View Postcyclist1994, on 13 December 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

Then give us the link, please.
I can't believe that they lost the source files.

Dear lord, I am not going to go back through all their Podcasts for you. If you want the specific Podcast you can look it up. I gave you the information that's about as far as I'm gonna go with it, it's not really important to me.

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:56 PM

View Postcyclist1994, on 13 December 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

These maps were a lot of fun, nevertheless.
Also I guess you should learn to play, from the comments you give.

The basic idea is that the are candidates in the mapvote.
If they are bad, they won't be picked.
It's just an additional option.

If you consider pugs being more derpy than usual as fun then sure those maps are fun--the same fun as Canyon where pugs **** up almost every match.

If the maps are bad, they wont be picked? What are you smoking? MWO's population is terrible at picking good maps. Presently, they often pick small maps such as Canyon, HPG, and Mining whenever they appear just so they can fight faster, not realizing that their ineptitude snowballs those matches within 1-2 minutes for one side. When they pick old Forest, or old Frozen (and they will pick those maps cause pugs are dumb), the matches are gonna be over in 3 minutes--making it as short as their entire queue time. Such fun!

As if current MM is bad enough, now you wanna give more options for the playerbase to screw it up even harder?

As for your L2P comment, it is not cause I don't know how to play those maps that I dislike them. I simply have harder time fixing the stupidity of my teammates on those maps due to their fast pace.

#14 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

As for your L2P comment, it is not cause I don't know how to play those maps that I dislike them. I simply have harder time fixing the stupidity of my teammates on those maps due to their fast pace.

El Bandito ROFL ROFL ROFL Posted Image always love your retorts man

#15 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Those maps are no good due to common player behavior + 12v12 format we have in QP.

Old River City = Yeah, lets shoot each other straight from spawn from the beginning. Those with high end PCs will really love it.

I value your opinion, but cant the same be said about pretty much all our current maps ? I mean it just takes us longer to get to that 1 fighting spot now. Just my opinion but i really enjoyed the close quarters fast paced action of the old maps. They were more fun to me and many others. *shrugs*

#16 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:53 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 14 December 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

I value your opinion, but cant the same be said about pretty much all our current maps ? I mean it just takes us longer to get to that 1 fighting spot now. Just my opinion but i really enjoyed the close quarters fast paced action of the old maps. They were more fun to me and many others. *shrugs*

They were tolerable in 8v8 format since that made TTK longer. And with 8 mechs on each side it was still possible to flank the opponents on some of those maps such as old Frozen, since each side did not have enough people to cover all routes. If those maps are released in current 12v12 format it will be a shiet show.

#17 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:57 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 December 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

They were tolerable in 8v8 format since that made TTK longer. And with 8 mechs on each side it was still possible to flank the opponents on some of those maps such as old Frozen, since each side did not have enough people to cover all routes. If those maps are released in current 12v12 format it will be a shiet show.

idk, maybe. When i first started playing it was 12vs12 on those maps for at least a year and damn was the game fun back then. (around 2016) Every mech felt a bit different, maps got you into the action, you felt nimble and maneuverable... twisting mattered. Idk maybe i'm just looking back fondly.

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:14 AM

i want to bring back terra therma classic.

classic maps and discontinued modes need to be made available even if only supported by custom games.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 December 2018 - 07:16 AM.

#19 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:22 AM

Those maps were awful lol. They are unsuitable for the 12v12 modes we have now and if added, people would pick them because they are dumb, then complain to the developers on these very forums that the map designers don't know what they are doing. How God damn often do HPG, Canyon and Mining Colony get picked? All the time. How often do people charge into the middle and die in a meat grinder on those maps? Every time! ... Well except HPG, because ramps confuzzle people so they just naturally nascar into a slightly slower meat grinder. You want to put these same geniuses into even tighter, meat grindier maps?

Argh! I'm triggered by your post OP.

#20 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:08 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 14 December 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Those maps were awful lol. They are unsuitable for the 12v12 modes we have now and if added, people would pick them because they are dumb, then complain to the developers on these very forums that the map designers don't know what they are doing. How God damn often do HPG, Canyon and Mining Colony get picked? All the time. How often do people charge into the middle and die in a meat grinder on those maps? Every time! ... Well except HPG, because ramps confuzzle people so they just naturally nascar into a slightly slower meat grinder. You want to put these same geniuses into even tighter, meat grindier maps?

Argh! I'm triggered by your post OP.

In short, yes lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users